Cold showers during the DN

John Power, modified 9 Years ago at 1/10/15 3:04 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/10/15 3:03 PM

Cold showers during the DN

A few months ago I took cold showers every day after reading the benefits of it.
I experienced a increase in energy, more confidence and a more stable mind.
One site that sums up the benefits is this site: http://www.collective-evolution.com/2015/01/09/5-reasons-why-you-should-take-cold-showers/

So I thought taking a cold shower in the morning when in the DN can help to keep your mind more stable and cuts the edge of.
But maybe when at a retreat it isn't smart because during the shower you are less mindful and the 'happy' hormones are running through your body, that makes it more difficult to be mindful because of the energy boost and excitement. This can break the continouity of mindfulness.

So what do you think of taking cold showers during the DN, and on retreat? Do you have experience with taking cold showers?
thumbnail
Psi, modified 9 Years ago at 1/10/15 3:30 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/10/15 3:30 PM

RE: Cold showers during the DN

John Power:
A few months ago I took cold showers every day after reading the benefits of it.
I experienced a increase in energy, more confidence and a more stable mind.
One site that sums up the benefits is this site: http://www.collective-evolution.com/2015/01/09/5-reasons-why-you-should-take-cold-showers/

So I thought taking a cold shower in the morning when in the DN can help to keep your mind more stable and cuts the edge of.
But maybe when at a retreat it isn't smart because during the shower you are less mindful and the 'happy' hormones are running through your body, that makes it more difficult to be mindful because of the energy boost and excitement. This can break the continouity of mindfulness.

So what do you think of taking cold showers during the DN, and on retreat? Do you have experience with taking cold showers?
Hey John, 

This is funny, I always wanted to bring this subject up.  About 25 years ago  I took cold showers every day for one year, I am 48 now.  But anyway, I had thought up the experiment because I had heard in a Wayne Dyer audiotape how he went on a retreat somehwere, and there were  like 6 or so sitting tubs, ranging from hot and gradually  colder by ten degress or so.  They were then told to just sit in them and be calm.

So anyway, I would rake cold showers, and trained myself to not react to the cold water, i.e. jump around , shiver, whine mentally. Basically just be equanimous, though I didn't know what that word meant at that time, nor have any idea about buddhism, though it was a happy chubby guy that made fortune cookies.

So, this might not be what you were using cold showers for, I have yet to read your link, but it is a good way to practice the skill of equanimity, it will bring a high level of equanimity skillfulness rather quickly, which can be used in other areas of life.

Though, I never brought this subject up, because I was afraid that someone may be harmed by the cold shock to the body, heart especially, so if anyone tries this, please be careful.  

Anyway, one will eventually be able to just take the cold shower without any reaction to the cold, it is all in the mind, great insight.

Psi

P.S. Now I take Hot showers, lol I will probably switch up, as it looks as if you were mentioning some health benefits?  Will read your link
thumbnail
Simon T, modified 9 Years ago at 1/10/15 6:10 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/10/15 6:10 PM

It's good way to make you more alert. I didn't on retreat, sometimes up to 3 times a day when I was getting too drowsy.
thumbnail
Eric M W, modified 9 Years ago at 1/10/15 7:13 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/10/15 7:13 PM

Funny, I saw a TED talk on this very subject not too long ago. 

I've tried cold showers in the past. They were unpleasant, but the boost in energy was obvious, and very nice. 

As for taking cold showers to mitigate DN symptoms, that is an interesting thought. Anything that pulls you down to earth is a good remedy. Cold showers may definitely do that.
Alin Mathews, modified 9 Years ago at 1/10/15 8:10 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/10/15 8:10 PM

John Power:

When body is comfortable energy is abundant and equanimity is effortless. mind then just assists. When mind imagines everything is within it, mind takes control, and body suffers unnecessary pain. it takes a long time to see the sense in enjoying the comfort of a mentally freed body.
John Power, modified 9 Years ago at 1/11/15 4:33 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/11/15 3:02 AM

Thank you all for your reply!

Well I was also a bit reserved to bring the subject up because well this is a forum for wisdom/insight, and I didn't know if it was appropiate to post this because it isn't really a practise that is known for the development of insight.

I started to do this because of Wim Hof, he is also called 'The Ice Man'. He does al those things in the cold that normal people can't do. They have done scientific research on him and it really had effect on how his body and mind react. More information: http://www.icemanwimhof.com/en-home

@your warning against cold shock is valid. In the Wim Hof Method it is stressed that before you go under the shower, that you take 30 deep breaths so that you have enough oxygen in your body. Because of the oxygen in your body you body will react less intense to the cold.

I know and has experienced its benefits, but I was interested in the effect during the DN and how it effects the momentum of mindfulness. When you are in the DN in daily life, your mindfulness is less continous and then I can understand that a cold shower had less effect on the continuouity. But in a retreat situation all your energy is focused on meditation and then the momentum of mindfulness is very important. What do you guys think?

PS: @Eric M W: I think I know which TED Talk you mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb0h8ZKvJW4
thumbnail
mysterie, modified 9 Years ago at 1/11/15 4:38 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/11/15 4:38 AM

well if you think about it, if you do cold water showers its just like you're doing a retreat pre-19th century.

i do breath of fire for 15 seconds when i get in sometimes, if the water is especially cold, which relates to your point on oxygen.

i don't think taking cold showers is going to impede your level of mindfulness, i think it will probably help to remind you to be aware of the sensation of the water on your body and notice how your mind is reacting to the coldness. also you will probably spend less time in the shower, which means more time available to be fully devoted to mindfulness.

the potential for your mind to wander in a warm/body temperature/cold shower is all pretty similar i woulda thought.
thumbnail
ivory, modified 9 Years ago at 1/24/15 7:21 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/24/15 7:21 PM

I've noticed that showers in general help a great deal with alertness. So does exercise. When you put yourself in difficult or challenging situations it makes the rest of life pretty easy and makes you feel energetic. It would not surprise me if cold showers had some benefit.