Speed of noting

thumbnail
bud , modified 9 Years ago at 1/20/15 7:12 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/20/15 7:11 AM

Speed of noting

Daniel Ingram and Shinzen Young are two teachers I respect very highly, so I am a bit confused about what seems like contradictory noting advice in their respective teachings.

Daniel says to go for speed, while Shinzen encourages "soaking" into sensations and using a more leisurely pace.

I have no problem trying both, I'm just wondering what the community consensus is.

Sometimes it feels like when I note sensations rapidly, I am not actually "noticing" much about them - certainly not beginnings and endings.

When soaking into sensations I notice more of them, but it feels a bit more forced, i.e. I am artificially prolonging the moment to get a better look at it.

Any thoughts or anecdotes?
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 9 Years ago at 1/20/15 11:56 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/20/15 11:50 AM

RE: Speed of noting

bud .:
I have no problem trying both, I'm just wondering what the community consensus is.

Ha hahah....consensus....I have yet to find that.
The different stages of insite seem to have different speeds and different "soaking" of sensations. I would of course do both and learn what is the "proper" level for where you are at. You may follow your intuition and change several times in one sit or just stay with one speed....sometimes I stay on just one object and notice it over and over until it dissolves....sometimes it is speed and sometimes it is really feeling into it very very deeply and noticing the qualities that make it up. Depends on where you are at....follow your intuition. Learn the limitations and benefits of both...you will need them.
(Oh look....that sensation seems permanent....I think I may stop and take a good long look at that...hmmm maybe seeing it as fast as I can will do something about that; that painful feeling sure seems to be me right now...I think I'll soak in it and see what happens....Investigate and play with a sense of experimental wonder and fun.)
~D
thumbnail
bud , modified 9 Years ago at 1/21/15 8:44 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 1/21/15 8:44 AM

RE: Speed of noting

Thank you, that was helpful emoticon