Alternatives to DhO

thumbnail
Bill F, modified 9 Years ago at 2/7/15 3:24 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 2/7/15 3:03 AM

Alternatives to DhO

People feeling uncomfortable with the current state of Dho, and looking for a different place to post, the Facebook group Dharma Connection is an excellent place to discuss Buddhist practice. It is not a strictly Theravadan site, or based on MCTB, but it is consistently moderated by some honest practitioners with a lot of integrity.

If anyone has any other sites to reccomend, you could also post those here.
thumbnail
Nikolai , modified 9 Years ago at 2/7/15 4:43 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 2/7/15 4:43 AM

RE: Alternatives to DhO

Bill F.:
People feeling uncomfortable with the current state of Dho, and looking for a different place to post, the Facebook group Dharma Connection is an excellent place to discuss Buddhist practice. It is not a strictly Theravadan site, or based on MCTB, but it is consistently moderated by some honest practitioners with a lot of integrity.

If anyone has any other sites to reccomend, you could also post those here.
The following are sites i visit apart from the DhO. 

http://awakenetwork.org/

Old timers over there doing good stuff. Some of them visit here too. 

www.dhammawheel.com

At times a little dogmatic  but you can find a lot of great sutta stuff over there. Just don't mention the Overground or Dr Ingram.

There used to be a few more options years ago, but a lot of the other sites have shut down. Does anyone know if Alan Chapman has a forum? Dharma Connection is an interesting facebook site. They have long Mahayana showdowns on what awareness is and isn't, what rigpa is and  isn't etc. It goes on and on. 
thumbnail
Bill F, modified 9 Years ago at 2/7/15 10:48 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 2/7/15 10:48 AM

Thank you, Nikolai. No idea about Alan Chapman.

And Pawel, if you are serious, or if you are not, I thank you.
Chuck Kasmire, modified 9 Years ago at 2/7/15 1:33 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 2/7/15 1:31 PM

A new forum (still in test mode) has been set-up at sutta central for the discussion of Early Buddhism.

http://discourse.suttacentral.net/

From the site:

Note: This site is currently being used as a testing platform.

Welcome! This is the discussion community for SuttaCentral. We focus on Early Buddhist Texts, their historical context, and modern relevance. We hope you’ll have a great time here, and—who knows—maybe even get enlightened!

On this site you’ll find a range of resources relating to Early Buddhist texts, including essays and commentaries about the suttas. Join the conversation, ask some questions, get involved.

By the way, the word “Discourse” is actually the name of the software platform that we are using for this forum1. It also happens to be the same word that we usually use to translate “sutta” into English. This might be just a coincidence, but we’ve been very impressed with how the developers of Discourse want to create what they call Civilized Discourse, which is pretty much what the Buddha called Right Speech.

Before adding any posts, you should read our Universal Rules of Dhamma Discourse. We’re offering this service as part of our Dhamma practice, as the suttas say that conversation about Dhamma is part of the eight-fold path. We hope that you use it in the same way.
thumbnail
Bill F, modified 9 Years ago at 2/7/15 2:27 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 2/7/15 2:27 PM

I have joined. It looks great. Thank you.
Steve, modified 9 Years ago at 2/8/15 2:35 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 2/8/15 2:35 PM

Bill,

I'm new here, I couldn't find a way to send you a PM.  What is your problem with this DO?
Steve, modified 9 Years ago at 2/8/15 2:40 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 2/8/15 2:40 PM

Nikolai .:
Bill F.:

If anyone has any other sites to reccomend, you could also post those here.The following are sites i visit apart from the DhO. 

http://awakenetwork.org/

Old timers over there doing good stuff. Some of them visit here too. 

www.dhammawheel.com

At times a little dogmatic  but you can find a lot of great sutta stuff over there. Just don't mention the Overground or Dr Ingram.

I came here from there.  I wouldn't recommend going to dhammwheel unless you have a straightforward academic question.  Some of the moderators are overbearing while at the same time being incindiary themselves.   It is hard to have an honest conversation there without people getting upset or using "Right Speech" to shame people into shutting up.  As you mentioned, lots of dogmatic people.  Lots of superstition too.
thumbnail
Bill F, modified 9 Years ago at 2/8/15 2:53 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 2/8/15 2:53 PM

Hi Steve,

That was posted in haste and in fear that those dedicated to sincere practice might find this place too hostile in light of a lot of the posting occuring. There are a lot of people that come here and share their practice and due to the highly political and hostile climate, and my feeling that it was not being remedied effectively, I was concerned that some of those people, particularly newer members, might feel uncomfortable. I thought that it would be useful to provide alternatives in order that they might not feel this was the only option. 
        I hope you find this place useful. There are a lot of people here with a lot to offer.

Bill
thumbnail
-- Timus --, modified 9 Years ago at 2/9/15 4:25 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 2/9/15 4:25 PM

Nikolai .:
... Does anyone know if Alan Chapman has a forum? ... 

No, he doesn't. He has a new website, but not a very "Buddhist" one.
Adam , modified 9 Years ago at 2/9/15 4:39 PM
Created 9 Years ago at 2/9/15 4:39 PM

if you are into actualism come to https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/actualfreedom/conversations/topics

featuring discussions about how to consistently feel good about life and the identity which gets in the way of that.
thumbnail
CJMacie, modified 9 Years ago at 2/11/15 2:53 AM
Created 9 Years ago at 2/11/15 2:41 AM

I'm surprised the SBA (Stephen Batchleor and fans) hasn't been mentioned here: http://secularbuddhism.org/forum/

That would seem the most substantive currently running discussion forum that's closest to DhO in nature (except for the wild-west aspect). It might be seen as s/w dogmatic, s/t fundamentalist, but there are some there who have intelligent things to say and can discuss, e.g. Linda Blanchard, and the guy who does video interviews.

Actually, looking at all the sites mentioned here (SBA and Dhammawheel I knew before), it a surprise that DhO appears to be really the biggest, most active one around. Others may have a lot of categories and/or threads, but look at how many posts for one day (e.g. Feb 10). My quick estimate is that DhO has more activity, per current unit time, than all the others combined!

No wonder DhO might seem an attractive take-over target.

Breadcrumb