Vipassana Meditation and Body Sensation (Video)

Change A, modified 8 Years ago at 6/17/15 1:19 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/6/15 11:49 PM

Vipassana Meditation and Body Sensation (Video)

thumbnail
Daniel - san, modified 8 Years ago at 5/7/15 4:19 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/7/15 4:09 PM

RE: Vipassana Meditation and Body Sensation (Video)

Change A.:

Very cool Change thanks
I immediately signed up for my first 10-day Goenka retreat after watching 'Doing Time, Doing Vipassana' when it first came out in the (few independent) theatres over eight years ago. It changed my life, I'm sure there are plenty of others like me
'Dhamma Brothers' was also a moving and inspirational film
The presentation of Vipassana practice (awareness of sensation and mind) by the speaker is very simple and direct, and it lines up with my own experience
We react to internal sensations, not to external things. The mind does all of this subconsciously
Become conscious of these subtle energetic internal reactions, and re-train the mind to react with equanimity (non-reaction) and the link of karmic chain is broken right then and there. Release follows in all sorts of ways
C P M, modified 8 Years ago at 5/7/15 4:46 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/7/15 4:45 PM

Good to see you back Daniel.
Gunnar Johansson, modified 8 Years ago at 5/9/15 12:46 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/9/15 12:46 PM

Good reflections on Goenka vipassana.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSnadJDVZmU
thumbnail
Not Tao, modified 8 Years ago at 5/10/15 1:39 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/10/15 1:39 PM

Funny, this is my current working theory as well - what we percieve as negative emotion is just body tension.  I think this is what Pawel has been talking about lately.
thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 8 Years ago at 5/10/15 3:06 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/10/15 3:06 PM

Not Tao:
Funny, this is my current working theory as well - what we percieve as negative emotion is just body tension.  I think this is what Pawel has been talking about lately.

Reminds me of a good old Kenneth Folk quote:

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­_________________________________________________________________________
"While you are practicing just sitting, be clear about everything going on in your mind. Whatever you feel, be aware of it, but never abandon the awareness of your whole body sitting there. Shikantaza is not sitting with nothing to do; it is a very demanding practice, requiring diligence as well as alertness. If your practice goes well, you will experience the 'dropping off' of sensations and thoughts. You need to stay with it and begin to take the whole environment as your body. Whatever enters the door of your senses becomes one totality, extending from your body to the whole environment. This is silent illumination."

-Master Shengyen

Mumuwu: Do you mean the moving out of the body to the mind and back?

I mean the creation of a third "thing," this pseudo-entity that is a composite of body sensations and mental phenomena. Living in this third thing is suffering because it takes you out of what is really happening in this moment; it becomes a proxy for experience. You can train yourself to stop living this proxy life of suffering by coming back to the body sensations in this moment. The body cannot lie. Being in the body is being present in this moment. Being present in this moment does not allow the pseudo-self to form. When the pseudo-self does not form, life is simple and free. It will be pleasant at times and unpleasant at times, but it is always free.

There is no conflict between noting and living in your body, by the way, whether you note silently or aloud. You can note or not note, think, act, talk, love, live; there is very little you can't do; you just can't suffer. If you choose to note, understand that there is nothing magical about the noting itself. The noting is simply a feedback loop to remind you to feel your body and observe your mind in this moment.

thumbnail
Richard Zen, modified 8 Years ago at 5/10/15 9:45 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/10/15 9:45 PM

Change A.:
Richard Zen:

Reminds me of a good old Kenneth Folk quote:

There is no conflict between noting and living in your body, by the way, whether you note silently or aloud. You can note or not note, think, act, talk, love, live; there is very little you can't do; you just can't suffer.
Kenneth Folk: As long as you draw breath, there is dukkha. (http://awakenetwork.org/forum/kfd-public/13470-the-truth-of-dukkha?limitstart=0)

What do you make of the new opinion of Kenneth?

I agree with his new opinion but it's not one of throwing out the baby with the bathwater. These practices do help even if they don't eliminate all stress. I've moved on since to a more Mahayana influenced practice. Anyone who has practiced for a long time knows that they have less stress than in the past. Most people know that you can't eradicate all stress but you can liberate from a sense of a separate self that suffers independent of cause and effect. The amygdala shrinks in size but there's still operation going on. People just learn to use it more skillfully.

Gil Fronsdal in one talk mentions palliative care and teaching patients to disidentify "not me" "not mine" "not myself" towards the final moments of life and it seems to help some. It's good to fight diseases but death (often painful) is inevitable. It's certainly better to develop acceptance than to hold out hope that death can be cured:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/03/tech/innovation/google-calico-aging-death/
thumbnail
Not Tao, modified 8 Years ago at 5/11/15 10:02 PM
Created 8 Years ago at 5/11/15 10:02 PM

The only thing I know for certain about any of this is that it is actually possible to be completely without stress while conscious and breathing. I don't know if it's possible to experience life like that permanently after a certain special event or what-have-you, but who cares about that? Even living 50% of life that way would be wonderful. emoticon

Breadcrumb