How to do Vippassana 24/7

Mathew Poskus, modified 8 Years ago at 11/4/15 7:55 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 11/4/15 7:55 AM

How to do Vippassana 24/7

i gor recommended to do vippassana 24/7 ,can anyone explain how to do it ?
thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 8 Years ago at 11/4/15 8:29 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 11/4/15 8:29 AM

RE: How to do Vippassana 24/7

hi,
choose your method (noting etc..) and as much as possible try to apply it to all experience as it arises.  mindfulness is the key which basically means holding a certain level of dispassion about the objects one is observing and not allowing oneself to be carried away with the habitual tendency of the mind to proliferate thoughts.

if you are walking around, you may be focusing on the alternating sensations on the soles of your feet. if you are doing more complex tasks try to find a level of focus which you can maintain.  while stocking shelves you might be focusing on the sensations in your hands or the movements of you arms, eyes etc.

as your practice of noticing gets deeper generally you will move toward less obvious sensations or categories of experience like, thinking itself or worrying etc.  for my money the progression described in the satipatthana sutta is the best framework for this kind of practice.

and never forget to have fun
thumbnail
Noah, modified 8 Years ago at 11/4/15 10:11 AM
Created 8 Years ago at 11/4/15 10:11 AM

RE: How to do Vippassana 24/7

This was my bread and butter!  Highly reccomend it.

+1 to tom's comprehensive explanation.  Also, mental labels worked really well for me 4/5th's of the time.  I followed my intuition as to what to note when, and when to drop the labels.  It was helpful to avoid obsessing over noting technique, at all costs.  I followed the 'quantity over quality' school.  Finally, skyping with a meditation coach helped me a lot.  There are at least four or five out there who are familiar with Mahasi and the progress of insight.

Breadcrumb