Dan Harris's 10% Happier podcast

Small Steps, modified 7 Years ago at 5/12/16 12:57 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 5/12/16 12:56 PM

Dan Harris's 10% Happier podcast

I read Harris's book of the same name a couple of years ago and enjoyed it tremendously. He's a bit of a fanboy, but he seems genuinely interested in the subject. I wouldn't be surprised to find him lurking on DhO, since he namechecks Daniel in his book, mentions hardcore dharma and promises he's "gunning for stream entry" or some such.

There's a few interviews I really like on this podcast. In particular, the talks with Leigh Brasington, Jay Michaelson and Steve Armstrong. The talks are each pretty surprising in the depth of material covered. Harris himself is pretty knowledgable, if not experienced (not for lack of trying, though).

Each of the talks I referenced goes far more in depth than the usual rigmarole, and I find it both unusual and a bit heartening. This is a podcast produced by ABC (major American news network for those outside of the US). Leigh talks about the eight jhanas, Michaelson cops to being 25% done (public declaration of stream entry) and Armstrong goes in depth on the Progress of Insight (he's the editor of the upcoming Manual of Insight book).

Harris claims that Daniel will be an upcoming interview.
Matt, modified 7 Years ago at 5/12/16 1:46 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 5/12/16 1:46 PM

RE: Dan Harris's 10% Happier podcast

Dan Harris talks abourt his book at Google:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt5Qv9tUObI
thumbnail
Jason Snyder, modified 7 Years ago at 5/14/16 8:56 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 5/14/16 8:56 AM

Thanks for the pointer! I just enjoyed the interview with Steve Armstrong. 
: ladyfrog :, modified 7 Years ago at 5/17/16 10:03 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 5/17/16 10:01 PM

Yes thanks for this - I enjoyed the one with Steve Armstong too.  One interesting thing in it for me was the discussion of the experience of the unfabricated/nirvana.  I have gotten the (maybe mistaken) impression that the definition of non-experience in the mahasi type of point of view and certainly in the pragmatic scene is really that there is no sense of touching the unfabricated until one is back to conventional consciouness - vs. lets say what the thai forest teachers seem to point to.  He mentioned one could extend the "experience" by practicing towards that and you could be there for mintues, an hour etc. pointing to the meaning of "non-experience" as being knowable, just not conventional experience per say, so far as i understood.  I don't have any experience of practicing with mahasi teachers etc. and not sure he totally is coming from there but seems to be his background, and i found that interesting because i hadn't heard that filled out that way before by someone with his background.  Certainly seems to differ from the gist of what i've gotten from some of the pragmatic descriptions of cessation etc.

Was very interesting to hear a teacher from that scene really address what's discussed among teachers there and the whys of whats kept back pretty overtly.

Breadcrumb