Post your daily practice

td o ditty, modified 7 Years ago at 6/11/16 10:00 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 6/11/16 10:00 AM

Post your daily practice

So, curious for folks just sharing their daily "on the cushion" practice times.

These days, I'm consistently at 90-120 minutes per day, done in one sit usually first thing in the morning.
thumbnail
Noah, modified 7 Years ago at 6/11/16 11:40 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 6/11/16 11:40 AM

RE: Post your daily practice

Aim for 120, average about 60 over time probably.
td o ditty, modified 7 Years ago at 6/12/16 7:12 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 6/12/16 7:12 PM

Cool.   Anyone else?

FWIW, I want to share my experience. I'm finding a lot of truth in that it take 45-60 minutes just to settle.  At that point, the "good stuff" kicks in.  So I aim for 120 minutes but often end at 90 minutes... In such I see the 60-90 min time as the real time that pays dividends (deep jhanas with insights a popping)

More interestingly, recently I've seen the same trend from 90min-120min (just even deeper stuff). I've done some 3-4 hour sits, but my life (family man with young kid) can't afford a daily practice of more than 2 hours a day.  (Or at least, that's what I can manage right now)

Love to hear what other folks are clocking in....
Banned For waht?, modified 7 Years ago at 6/13/16 7:35 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 6/13/16 7:29 AM

10 seconds. Some last longer. When you do sitting practice your mind maybe still not in body, will that still count as sitting practice?

you need to reach AP asap, to do that you need to have substance to have a reaction, be mindful as best you can.

Couple culps of beer and there are plenty of reactions in mind causing pleasant aftereffects, you can see them happening. People drink too much and fall quick. You can use little alcohol to faster your progress, but i don't recomend that.
thumbnail
Noah, modified 7 Years ago at 6/13/16 3:21 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 6/13/16 3:21 PM

td o ditty:
I'm finding a lot of truth in that it take 45-60 minutes just to settle.

Interesting.  This used to be my experience.  I think that was because I had some subtle tension/resistance to sitting.  The more I fuse on and off cushion practice the less of a trackable 'arc' there is to my sits.
In such I see the 60-90 min time as the real time that pays dividends (deep jhanas with insights a popping)

More interestingly, recently I've seen the same trend from 90min-120min (just even deeper stuff).

Also fun thoughts.  I think intention comes into play here.  For instance, I used to be very concentrated on penetrating the stratum of mind to get to new layers/shifts.  I feel like I completed a phase of training in that area.  Now I purposely do not become too concentrated, floating just on the surface of the 1st jhana, which allows for solid investigation of the hindrances, and enacting of the methods to throw them out. 

Breadcrumb