How to find a teacher?

Jason Massie, modified 7 Years ago at 11/16/16 11:15 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 11/16/16 11:14 PM

How to find a teacher?

I have done 8 goenka retreats(some serving) and I meditate 2-4 hours a day. I try to maintain awareness of sensations between sits. My next retreat is in January . 

I have had some experiences. My life is quite different than it was a few years ago.

I have read Daniel's book a few times.

The book and you guys recommend getting a teacher over and over. How does one go about doing that?
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 7 Years ago at 11/17/16 3:35 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 11/17/16 3:35 AM

RE: How to find a teacher?

I list some pragmatic teachers here: http://noahsmonthlyupdate.blogspot.com/p/links.html?m=1

They all teach over Skype.  There's also a guy named Tucker who's Culadasa authorized: http://meditatewithtucker.com/

And Abre Chen another Kenneth Folk student but she doesn't have a website.

Plenty of resources, pick your poison emoticon
pamojja, modified 7 Years ago at 11/18/16 5:02 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 11/18/16 5:02 PM

Jason Massie:
The book and you guys recommend getting a teacher over and over. How does one go about doing that?

Beside what everyone seems to be telling you, with your practice, do you yourself feel the need or have reasons for a teacher?
Jason Massie, modified 7 Years ago at 11/18/16 10:01 PM
Created 7 Years ago at 11/18/16 10:01 PM

pamojja:
Jason Massie:

Beside what everyone seems to be telling you, with your practice, do you yourself feel the need or have reasons for a teacher?
Haha. That is a good point. I think part of it is that now that I know there are maps, I want to where I am at.

It could be argued that maybe a teacher will help me progress faster. On the other hand, I read Daniel's "Will you be my teacher" FAQ on his website and it makes sense.

But to answer your question, I can see how I progressed through stages on past retreats. I can see when I go through stages now when I sit. I am not struggling with anything currently.

If I did have a teacher, I like him to help me verify that I am getting to equinimity and pointers on getting through. Here is what I observe.
  • The past few retreats I clearly go through dissolution and dark night. After a few days, it breaks and sitting is much more pleasant. I didn't know what to look for before. I am afraid that I will color the description now because of new knowledge so I will leave it at that.
  • Lately, if I sit for about 4 hours with minimal breaks, I go ap -> dissolution --> dark night --> lot of suble sensations ,hazy mind - Is that low equinimity?
  • I do not feel like l ever slip back to dark night from equinimity but dark night doesn't bother me much anymore.
In the weeks leading up to me retreat, should I stick with insight or go with more concentration?
pamojja, modified 7 Years ago at 11/19/16 4:57 AM
Created 7 Years ago at 11/19/16 4:55 AM

Jason Massie:
pamojja:
Jason Massie:
Haha. That is a good point. I think part of it is that now that I know there are maps, I want to where I am at.

As someone traveling a lot, and then more with meditation (also started with Goenka), I always gave more attention to the actual terrain than maps. In my experiece one always find where one is, either through sights or asking bystanders. Though, for example, with Asians it's a bid more difficult, since they always want to be polite and prever to give you wrong headings before admitting they don't know. But ending up in the wrong place one too knows where one ended up. Not that different with meditation teachers, sometimes..

Honestly, I think deep down you know the answers to all your questions already. And apologize if I'm mistaken.