Unpleasant emotions just flow away.

thumbnail
Jim Smith, modified 6 Years ago at 12/28/17 8:27 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 12/28/17 8:27 AM

Unpleasant emotions just flow away.

What is it when you have an experience where it seems like nothing can upset you because you find something within you which you can relax, and when you do, any unpleasant emotions flow away as soon as they arise? It's as if relaxing opens a door and unpleasant emotions go out through the door as soon as they appear. They just appear and go. Not just during meditation but during daily life.

It's like prevoiusly during your whole life, everytime you felt an unpleasant emotion you contracted, slammed a door, which caused the emotion to stick with you even though you didn't like it or want it. And then you suddenly learn not to do that, just to stay realxed, leave the door open, and it flows away.

You still feel the emotions, there is some unpleasantness, they just don't last long enough to be of real concern, in a way they are amusing. 

And I am referring to experiences in ordinary life, I don't know if it would stand up to a serious crisis. 
thumbnail
Eric B, modified 6 Years ago at 12/28/17 8:52 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 12/28/17 8:52 AM

RE: Unpleasant emotions just flow away. (Answer)

What you've just described is equanimity.  Things come up, but there is no subsequent craving or clinging.
Derek2, modified 6 Years ago at 12/30/17 9:09 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 12/30/17 9:09 PM

RE: Unpleasant emotions just flow away.

Jim Smith:
What is it when you have an experience where it seems like nothing can upset you because you find something within you which you can relax, and when you do, any unpleasant emotions flow away as soon as they arise?

That's a standard practice in humanistic psychotherapies -- opening to feelings, even if doing so is briefly somewhat painful. Did you discover it for yourself or did you get it out of a book?
thumbnail
Jim Smith, modified 6 Years ago at 12/30/17 10:36 PM
Created 6 Years ago at 12/30/17 10:36 PM

Derek2:

That's a standard practice in humanistic psychotherapies -- opening to feelings, even if doing so is briefly somewhat painful. Did you discover it for yourself or did you get it out of a book?

I believe what I described above is the result of meditation. It started happening some time after I begin meditating using the technique I described here:
https://www.dharmaoverground.org/discussion/-/message_boards/message/5823529

Derek2, modified 6 Years ago at 12/31/17 11:51 AM
Created 6 Years ago at 12/31/17 11:51 AM

Jim Smith:

I believe what I described above is the result of meditation. It started happening some time after I begin meditating using the technique I described here:
https://www.dharmaoverground.org/discussion/-/message_boards/message/5823529

Well, you've certainly hit on a winning technique. It reminds me of John de Ruiter, Unveiling Reality and of David R. Hawkins, Letting Go: The Pathway of Surrender.

Breadcrumb