General Programming Projects

thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 14 Years ago at 9/8/09 1:08 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 9/8/09 1:08 AM

General Programming Projects

Dear Tech Team,

Here are the current projects:

1) PM portlet: I have posted a job on oDesk and gotten some international candidates applying to write this. I may need some help figuring out what is reasonable to pay and expect, as well as who to choose. I'll fund this myself, unless someone feels inspired to help pay for it.

2) A donation section should be set up. I am happy to pay for this place if it needs to be paid for, but far be it for me to decline offers of donations from those that feel inspired to help and the good karma that comes from supporting the dharma. It would be nice if there was an automatic place that posted donations and costs so that all money is straighforward and transparent.

3) I need help configuring people's home pages, which Liferay seems to be only able to do before they sign up, so this will need a programmer.

4) There are still some issues of themes and design that don't show up everywhere.

5) I will need some help making sure that permissions work and that people can edit their own page profiles, which could use a template.

There may be other issues, but these are the big ones.

Thanks for your help.

Daniel
thumbnail
Tom O, modified 14 Years ago at 9/8/09 7:41 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 9/8/09 7:41 AM

RE: General Programming Projects

Regarding donations, it is trivially easy to set up a link with an iconic badge to accept donations via Paypal. Putting something like that on the homepage would be the most frictionless way to get this functionality. Are you looking for any more elaborate than that?

As to themes, let me know where themes are not correct. As it stands right now, there are only a limited number of places where the DhO/DhU themes actually are assigned, and so it would not surprise me that the default Liferay theme appears.

-- tomo
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 14 Years ago at 9/8/09 1:28 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 9/8/09 1:28 PM

Yeah, I want something that keep all money stuff open and transparent, as money is one of those things that can get ugly quickly if not well illuminated.

Thus, something that recorded total input and output with all items shows would be nice. Are there ways to do transparent banking like this?

It would actually make sense to set up a DhO account of some kind, though the details of how this would work need to be worked out before we start taking cash so there is no confusion or possible accusation of anything not above board.

DhO may have to become a non-profit or something like that, and will probably need its own account, as I am not completely comfortable simply having the finds come in and out of my personal account if things are going public.
Mike L, modified 14 Years ago at 9/9/09 9:50 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 9/9/09 9:50 PM

much further down the list, I think I'd be able to fix the posting dates for the legacy wetpaint content
thumbnail
Emory Smith, modified 14 Years ago at 9/10/09 3:02 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 9/10/09 3:02 AM

Mike L:
much further down the list, I think I'd be able to fix the posting dates for the legacy wetpaint content

thanks mike,

this is actually already in progress ... should hopefully be done by tomorrow.

-e
thumbnail
Emory Smith, modified 14 Years ago at 9/10/09 4:16 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 9/10/09 4:16 AM

see this thread for more info on discussion migration.

-emory
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 14 Years ago at 9/19/09 10:58 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 9/19/09 10:58 PM

More programming projects for anyone interested:

1) It would be great to have a page with two columns and the discussion section on one side and the linked wiki on the other, such that when one clicked on a [[bracketed]] word in the discussions section, that wiki entry automatically showed up on the right, and vice versa, when one wanted to comment on a wiki entry, clicking on a button would make that linked discussion thread show up on the left. Craig added it would be cool if every word or phrase in the discussion that correlated with a wiki page would automatically highlight and then have a synoptic bubble appear if the cursor were moved over it.

2) A portlet for people to be able to describe themselves, with a wysiwyg editor and a template about people, as we had on Wetpaint, but about practice, not about favorite movies. This should be a separate portlet with its own permissions.

3) An improved Members portlet, that could show things the way Wetpaint did, with many members shown on a page, with their roles, temporal seniority, posts, contributions, and sorted various ways. The current Members portlet sucks.

4) A way to configure User Group Homepages once the user has already created an account (currently impossible, I have been told, in our current version of Liferay), such that the appropriate and useful pre-configured portlets for people's home pages could be established, with the PM Portlet (being built), as well as their Personal Description Portlet, and perhaps their own Blog to have a journal about their practice, if they wish.

5) Easy one: it would be nice if the discussion section, rather than using the default, ugly Liferay blue/gray background, used a faint tan/buff color instead.

There will likely be more. Anyone interested, let me know. If Artem does a good job on the PM Portlet, I will likely have him start on some of these.
thumbnail
Tom O, modified 14 Years ago at 9/20/09 12:36 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 9/20/09 12:36 PM

Daniel M. Ingram:
More programming projects for anyone interested:

5) Easy one: it would be nice if the discussion section, rather than using the default, ugly Liferay blue/gray background, used a faint tan/buff color instead.

Huh? The theme is working for me, or are you referring to the main page where the categories are listed, and the background colours of the list itself?
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 14 Years ago at 9/20/09 2:00 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 9/20/09 2:00 PM

The background to the discussion text itself.
thumbnail
Tom O, modified 14 Years ago at 9/21/09 9:44 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 9/21/09 9:44 PM

Done

Breadcrumb