I don't know what is going on.

Tyler Winter, modified 5 Years ago at 5/19/18 10:18 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 5/19/18 10:17 PM

I don't know what is going on.

Basically for the past couple of weeks I have been having all of these weird deja vu type feelings.

I feel like I don't even know what is happening anymore. Stuff is just happening and I don't really have any control over it. It is like I can't take a firm position on anything, like I don't really know anything at all. Is this what they call don't know mind?
thumbnail
tom moylan, modified 5 Years ago at 5/20/18 4:39 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 5/20/18 4:39 AM

RE: I don't know what is going on.

howdy tyler,
i haven't been around here for quite some time so do not know about your practice but Shinzen young describes "don't know mind" as getting comfortable with the sensations around conundrum.  feeling ok with the paradoxes that come up with koans etc. and really developing a relationship with that set of sensations.

that does not sound like what you are describing but whatever it is that you are experiencing just try to be with it. know when it is there and when it is not and don't try not to feel the need to pidgeonhole it.
Andrew, modified 5 Years ago at 5/20/18 6:32 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 5/20/18 6:32 PM

RE: I don't know what is going on.

Tyler Winter:
Basically for the past couple of weeks I have been having all of these weird deja vu type feelings.

I feel like I don't even know what is happening anymore. Stuff is just happening and I don't really have any control over it. It is like I can't take a firm position on anything, like I don't really know anything at all. Is this what they call don't know mind?

Sort of, not really.

At some point usually after much investigation you should arrive at a point of realisation that you don't KNOW anything at all. Which is a harmonic of but not quite the same as arriving at a point where you aren't sure of anything at all. In the first instance there is still clarity and a sort of fluid decissiveness which seems somewhat lacking in your description above.

Given that what you described is a harmonic of this state and you could take the opportunity to sit with and note the sensations and feelings you have. It will help for later stuff as you circle back around.

The loosening of mental certainity/identity is required as you progress, you can certainly dive in to that side of things too.

Having said all of that be aware that spending a lot of time in contemplation can lead one to being a bit "spacey", vague or ephemeral. It would certainly be of benefit to ensure that you are taking some daily time to be in your body doing physical stuff that absorbs your awareness. Squats, lunges, hatha yoga, Tai Chi, Gardening whatever floats your boat really just make sure that it is physically exerting and you are present in it. It is no good going for a long walk if you are still using that time to do mental stuff. 

The Zen phrase of "...chop wood and carry water" is as much literal advice as it is pithy summation. You are in a human body having a human experience. You still need to attend to human body requirements.