Proposed Polling of DHO Members

thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 15 Years ago at 3/23/09 7:19 PM
Created 15 Years ago at 3/23/09 7:19 PM

Proposed Polling of DHO Members

Author: garyrh
Forum: Dharma Overground Discussion Forum

This thread is a branch from the following thread http://dharmaoverground.wetpaint.com/thread/2594009/Responses+to+Jewish+Mysticism+and+the+DhO

Members please suggest questions we can ask you in a poll to better understand and therefore improve DHO. As well as questions relevant comments with regards to the polling are also welcome.
The questions and comments are to be directed at establishing the best way for a poll to get information on things like
Should DHO make an effort to reach out beyond a group of "white male geeks"?
What you want DHO to be?
Is DHO alienating members?
In what way has DHO helped members?

So shoot your poll questions and comments here. This is relevent for "silent" members too, so I would like to encourage those that normally sit back to contribute here.
thumbnail
John Finley, modified 15 Years ago at 3/24/09 2:28 AM
Created 15 Years ago at 3/24/09 2:28 AM

RE: Proposed Polling of DHO Members

I think this is a great idea - a few questions that I think would be helpful:
- Where are you/do you believe yourself to be on the maps?
- What style/school/tradition has had the greatest impact on your progress?
- What issues or concepts would you like to see addressed here?
- What elements of DhO do you find most helpful?
-What elements would you like to see added to Dho?

Resources and support for practice are important and many live in areas that are not exactly hotbeds of information on the "how to" of all this. I think it would be awesome to have a "Dharma Friend" service that would match up the more advanced members who have a desire to mentor, teach and support with less advanced members who want/need help along the way.

I enrolled in an online program like this about a year ago and found it invaluable. Having a friend that you can reach out to via email or a phone call when you're stuck or confused about something is incredibly helpful. I'm not certain this would be practical and I don't know how it might work in terms of a vetting process for the teachers (would this even be important to do?), who manages the match ups, etc.
thumbnail
Kenneth Folk, modified 15 Years ago at 3/24/09 6:09 AM
Created 15 Years ago at 3/24/09 6:09 AM

Gary, thanks for taking the lead on the poll project. I was just looking over the Community Wiki Content thread:

http://dharmaoverground.wetpaint.com/thread/2414103/Community+Wiki+Content+Ideas

You might be able to glean some poll questions from that discussion.
Mark L, modified 15 Years ago at 3/26/09 1:10 AM
Created 15 Years ago at 3/26/09 1:10 AM

Do you feel comfortable responding to posts, answering questions, and posting your own questions and comments?

Do you feel like you have something to contribute?

Do posts generally use a language and terminology that you can understand and relate to?

Do you have a sense of community? Do you feel like you belong here? Do you feel safe, accepted, and supported?

Are posts generally interesting to you? Do they generally feel relevant and on topic?

What sorts of things are particularly challenging right now in your own practice?

Do you feel like it's possible to constructively disagree with other members? Do you feel like disagreements are productive?

What *is* Dharma Overground? Please pretend you're describing this site to a meditator who doesn't know what it is. How would you explain? Please elaborate.

It what ways is DO currently relevant, useful, meaningful, important and valuable? What's happening now that's good and right? What do you like? What makes you care?

In what ways is DO off-topic, distracting, annoying, frustrating, useless, and detrimental? What needs to change?

What is your vision for DO? What do you want to see in the near future? How can this site become your dream-come-true? In your ideal fantasy, what happens here?

What sorts of people do you want to associate with on DO? Describe the conversations and community. Gender, sex, age... What do you want to talk about? What are some of the conversations you want to have?

Does DO support your practice while being engaging and giving you a sense of community?

What is meditation? (to you) Pretend you're explaining to someone who's never heard of meditation.

Mark L, modified 15 Years ago at 3/26/09 1:12 AM
Created 15 Years ago at 3/26/09 1:12 AM

What would make you want to post and contribute?

What would make you want to come back, again and again?
Mark L, modified 15 Years ago at 3/26/09 1:19 AM
Created 15 Years ago at 3/26/09 1:19 AM

Please paste links to three DO posts that really exemplify the the spirit of this community (or the kind of post you want to see more of). Feel free to elaborate!

Please paste links to three DO posts that you feel detract from the way you want this site to be. Feel free to elaborate!
Vivian Duncan, modified 15 Years ago at 3/26/09 3:08 PM
Created 15 Years ago at 3/26/09 3:08 PM

This really is a white male (don't know about the geeks part) website. I wonder if there is something about Daniel's method and approach that is inherently "male". Perhaps Daniel's style and techniques are naturally meaningful to men. As a woman, I wonder I am on the wrong website and if the meditative experiences you all describe are accessible to me. A a beginner, I find most of the discussions way beyond my understanding. I am still wondering what the "maps" are. I was expecting a detailed chart or graphic illustration but don't see that in the book. Also, I am absolutely mystified about experiencing vibrations and don't have a clue how that happens. In spite of all of this, I think Daniel's book is fantastic and it seems a most logical approach to meditation.
thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 15 Years ago at 3/26/09 4:00 PM
Created 15 Years ago at 3/26/09 4:00 PM

Author: -Jill-

Hello Millefleur,

Obviously, something brings you here. You must be at least interested in Dhamma or practicing some form of meditation. If you know what watching the breath is all about, and you know what it’s like to observe sensations, such as heat, cold, sweating, pain, itchiness, heartbeating, thoughts coming and going, etc., then if you keep practicing, the meditative experiences described on the maps and forum will in time apply to your experience. I am an Asian female and the vibra(what??) experiences are accessible to me. These concentration/noting/investigating techniques work for all who apply them seriously and correctly, and I don’t know of any female equivalents! It sure takes time and commitment though. It could take weeks or years for the first stages on the map to show up if you only do home practice and don’t have time for intensive retreats. Please hang around, you can always force these guys to clarify when you feel that something might apply to you and be helpful for you. They’re all very nice people. Feel free to shoot me or any of the boy-members a private message as well.

Jill
Vivian Duncan, modified 15 Years ago at 3/26/09 4:11 PM
Created 15 Years ago at 3/26/09 4:11 PM

This really is a white male (don't know about the geeks part) website. I wonder if there is something about Daniel's method and approach that is inherently "male". Men and women's brains do differ, so perhaps Daniel's style and techniques are naturally meaningful to men. As a woman, I wonder I am on the wrong website and if the meditative experiences you all describe are accessible to me. It's as if you all speak a private language! Also, as a beginner, I find most of the discussions way beyond my understanding. I am still wondering what the "maps" are. I was expecting a detailed chart or graphic illustration but don't see that in the book. Also, I am absolutely mystified about experiencing vibrations and don't have a clue how that happens. In spite of all of this, I think Daniel's book is fantastic and it seems a most logical approach to meditation. There. I've had my say and come out of my "closet"!
thumbnail
Wet Paint, modified 15 Years ago at 3/28/09 2:50 AM
Created 15 Years ago at 3/28/09 2:50 AM

Author: nails888

Hi

I'm a n00b here. What lead me to practice meditation was Dan's book. ( which I think I read about a year ago). As far as practice, I did some regular vipassana meditation a while ago, which ( I think) led me to dark night stage ( I'm not that familiar with maps). Anyway, I think I've just crossed the A and P and I'm stuck there.

Not meditating ( due to general laziness) is not helping :-p
I've had some strange kunalini phenomena during sleep though

As far as the site layout is concerned, this site is great, but I'd have preferred a more bulletin board like forum ( or a dedicated website) because I'm more familiar with them.

As far as "white maleness" is concerned, well, I'm not white, but yeah. This site has the flavor of a country club. What's a bit intimidating ( for me) is that there are so many strong practitioners with great insights, unlike n00bs like me. But that's good, because it provides great content. On the other hand, there could be lack of support at the grass root level.
Mike L, modified 15 Years ago at 3/28/09 10:36 AM
Created 15 Years ago at 3/28/09 10:36 AM

There *are* quite a few strong practitioners, but there are 200+ members, most of whom don't post. Perhaps there should be more material geared toward getting over the first few humps: access concentration, first jhana, mind and body, cause and effect. I can't help but think more detailed stories/timelines/practices from people who've (recently?) gotten through the very early stages would help more folks join the party.

Edit: c4chaos posted some good video links in the "the movement IS the message" thread.

Breadcrumb