Sensitivity to sounds

Paul Smith, modified 5 Years ago at 8/3/18 6:52 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 8/3/18 6:52 AM

Sensitivity to sounds

Every time I get even slightly concentrated, I become aware of vibrations in my environment. Sounds are the worst, because I can feel them travelling through my body and the associated sensations are unpleasant. How do I deal with this? If I meditate this sensitivity gets "worse" - I can feel more sounds. I suspect my body is so tense and "armoured", because it's very sensitive to vibrations.
thumbnail
Nick O, modified 5 Years ago at 8/3/18 7:29 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 8/3/18 7:29 AM

RE: Sensitivity to sounds

You may be pushing concentration too hard. Perhaps try "just sitting" or "do nothing" for the first half of your sit. Just sit without any intent to concentrate and rest in the sphere of your awareness. After a while introduce concentration slowly and soflty. If the vibrations get too agitating, back off a bit. Find that balance. 

Even though it is advised against by some teachers, for a while I was meditating with isolation headphones. Not because I found sounds unpleasant, but because I found it improved concentration. I eventually went back to naked ears. Those or earplugs might help you through this phase while you investigate aversion to the vibrations.  
Paul Smith, modified 5 Years ago at 8/3/18 1:03 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 8/3/18 1:03 PM

The problem is this sensitivity is turned ON permamently. It's sufficient to just sit and close my eyes and there it is. Is there a way to make these waves (sensations) not unpleasant?
thumbnail
ivory, modified 5 Years ago at 8/3/18 1:22 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 8/3/18 1:22 PM

Are the vibrations pixelated or are they smooth and flowing? Tension indicates that you need to focus more on relaxation.
thumbnail
Nick O, modified 5 Years ago at 8/3/18 1:33 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 8/3/18 1:33 PM

I went through rough periods of very unpleasant vibrations during my sits. It would leave me agitated and exhausted at the end. My only advice, as a fan of dry practice, is to feel the unpleasantness as deeply as possible with acceptance. Be brave. The more wisdom you can gain from the unpleasantness and your aversion to it, the quicker you will move past it. 

If you look at the discomfort as a problem, you will find aversion. If you look at it as an opportunity to learn about yourself, you will make progress. Best wishes! 
Paul Smith, modified 5 Years ago at 8/3/18 3:10 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 8/3/18 3:10 PM

ivory:
I feel smooth acoustic waves in my body. Regarding relaxation: there's a subconcious lock that doesnt want to let go, because body is scarred to feel - vibrations are incoming from all senses, there's something heavy / disgusting in stomach area, tensions everywhere. Feels like a very tight immersion suit releases its grip. I know this from psychedelic trips.

Nick O:
Ok, will try to investigate better, thanks.
thumbnail
Jim Smith, modified 5 Years ago at 8/3/18 11:04 PM
Created 5 Years ago at 8/3/18 10:56 PM

Paul Smith:
ivory:
I feel smooth acoustic waves in my body. Regarding relaxation: there's a subconcious lock that doesnt want to let go, because body is scarred to feel - vibrations are incoming from all senses, there's something heavy / disgusting in stomach area, tensions everywhere. Feels like a very tight immersion suit releases its grip. I know this from psychedelic trips.

Nick O:
Ok, will try to investigate better, thanks.

Have you tried physical relaxation techniques? I am somewhat sensitive to sounds and I found that relaxation helps a lot. That's one reason I do a relaxing type of meditation.

Here are some links on relaxation:

tai-chi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txnGD4rI2J0&list=PL340679DF3B007160

qigong exercises
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO8rYCasa-M

progressive muscular relaxation
https://www.westernsydney.edu.au/__data/assets/mp3_file/0007/145834/Progressive_Muscular_Relaxation_Session.mp3

https://www.westernsydney.edu.au/currentstudents/current_students/services_and_facilities/counselling_services/stress_and_your_wellbeing/relaxation_recordings

Info about the parasympathetic nervous system and the role it plays in turning off stress (relaxation). (Dukkha = stress).
http://ncu9nc.blogspot.com/2018/04/the-parasympathetic-nervous-system-and.html 
Paul Smith, modified 5 Years ago at 8/5/18 3:07 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 8/5/18 3:07 AM

Thanks Jim.
thumbnail
Jim Smith, modified 5 Years ago at 8/5/18 10:28 AM
Created 5 Years ago at 8/5/18 10:25 AM

Paul Smith:
Thanks Jim.

Oh, I forgot to mention, when I sleep I use foam ear plugs. (google: ear classic 247-312-1201, this is a box of 200 pairs. You can get a small box of foam ear plugs at the drug store to try them first. I usually buy 2 boxes of 200 pair at a time because shipping is less per box that way.)  They might also help if things get noisy at other times ie during the day. But be aware that once you start using them you might become dependent on them - you might not want to go without them - in effect  you can become more sensitive to noise if you use them. So if you don't think you need them don't use them. On the other hand they can make life pleasant if you are sensitive to noise, and it is driving you crazy.