How Mettā Dissolves Ego

thumbnail
Marino Klisovich, modificado hace 1 mes at 13/03/24 1:38
Created 1 mes ago at 13/03/24 1:38

How Mettā Dissolves Ego

Mensajes: 12 Fecha de incorporación: 28/09/23 Mensajes recientes
Hello everybody,

I have gained an insight into the nature of mettā. Over the past 5 months, I have been practicing mettā for several hours a day. My sense of identification with the material body has decreased. I find myself being less identified with the body.

Ego cannot be removed merely by an act of will. In my experience, mettā acts as a solvent for the fabrication of ego. All you need to do is practice goodwill constantly, for a significant period of time. It's not easy to express the whole experience in words. The effect of mettā is noticeable only after some time. But it changes you as a person as the practice has a transformative character.

Now what I have heard long time ago--that our ego is not real--has became partially part of my reality. Words of Buddha come from the experience of meditation. Intellectual understanding is superficial. Real understanding comes from experience of meditation. I have written a story on Medium, expressing my experience with mettā. Here's an excerpt:

The ego has taken root in our psyche. The whole mental and bodily tension is the byproduct of the ego. As mind and matter work together as an organic unity, it is therefore impossible to destroy ago merely by the act of our will. We need a different approach to solving the problem of suffering.

The key lies in the practice of mettā. Mettā works like a solvent for ego. As you build up the impressions of goodwill in your mind, the structure of ego starts dissolving. The bodily tension decreases and you feel more relaxed, alert, alive, and conscious. A new type of pleasure comes into your life. You feel it in your body.

Please read it for your own benefit.

Thank you,
Marino
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modificado hace 1 mes at 13/03/24 16:10
Created 1 mes ago at 13/03/24 16:10

RE: How Mettā Dissolves Ego

Mensajes: 2734 Fecha de incorporación: 1/03/20 Mensajes recientes
If you are not the body then what are you?
thumbnail
Chris M, modificado hace 1 mes at 13/03/24 16:30
Created 1 mes ago at 13/03/24 16:30

Mensajes: 5183 Fecha de incorporación: 26/01/13 Mensajes recientes
thumbnail
Marino Klisovich, modificado hace 1 mes at 18/03/24 13:22
Created 1 mes ago at 18/03/24 13:22

Papa Che Dusko
If you are not the body then what are you?
Just witnessing.
thumbnail
Sha-Man! Geoffrey, modificado hace 1 mes at 18/03/24 14:40
Created 1 mes ago at 18/03/24 14:40

Mensajes: 366 Fecha de incorporación: 30/10/23 Mensajes recientes
What exactly is witnessing?
thumbnail
Marino Klisovich, modificado hace 1 mes at 18/03/24 14:59
Created 1 mes ago at 18/03/24 14:59

Sha-Man! Geoffrey

Awareness. What else can it be? 
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modificado hace 1 mes at 18/03/24 20:59
Created 1 mes ago at 18/03/24 20:59

What is witnessing what?
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modificado hace 1 mes at 18/03/24 21:00
Created 1 mes ago at 18/03/24 21:00

Where does awareness come from? How does awareness come to be?
thumbnail
Jim Smith, modificado hace 1 mes at 19/03/24 16:39
Created 1 mes ago at 19/03/24 13:10

Mensajes: 1687 Fecha de incorporación: 17/01/15 Mensajes recientes
I find that practicing metta, in meditation and in daily life, leads to a kind of feeling that includes metta along with something else ... that is a combination humility, forgiveness, and surrender. The surrender has different aspects: one is surrendering to emotions, not resisting emotions, the resistance creates more suffering than the emotion. Also surrendering to God, or a higher power, or fate, or the universe or whatever. This means not rejecting what happens not resisting reality at an emotional level - again, resistance just causes more suffering. (This doesn't mean you don't react to situations, it means you can react with compassion and wisdom rather than out of control emotions.)  It feels a lot like letting go - so when clinging arises (dukkha) you are already letting go, you don't have to do anything else, you are already doing what you need to do.

The effect is that you don't put your own personal interests ahead of anyone else's interests. You don't try to push your goals / wants / needs / likes / dislikes ahead of other people's. The result is a diminishing of the ego and a diminishing of the sense of agency also a diminishing of the sense of separateness.

There is a kind of feedback loop where metta feeds humility and surrender, and humility and surrender reduce self-centeredness that enhances the ability to feel metta.

It's jhana like in that you can crank up the intensity if you want. It can be deeply spiritual in the sense of the non-physical aspect of consciousness - its a spiritual vibe that opens one to their spiritual faculties (which are most safely approached when done without selfishness intentions).
thumbnail
Marino Klisovich, modificado hace 1 mes at 20/03/24 16:04
Created 1 mes ago at 20/03/24 16:04

Sha-Man! Geoffrey

My awareness is witnessing various phenomena of this world, including my bodily and mental processes. This is called externally oriented awareness. When awareness is focused on itself, it is said to be internally oriented awareness. Awareness and consciousness are terms with very similar meanings.  Consciousness is always in relation to some object. You are always conscious of something. Consciousness always needs some object to be. There are three fundamental requirements for consciousness: the subject, the object, and the relationship between the subject and the object. However, awareness can exist without an object. It can be... well... aware of itself. This is a technical description. I don't have the experience of being aware of awareness so I can't speak firsthand. 

thumbnail
Babs _, modificado hace 1 mes at 28/03/24 9:57
Created 1 mes ago at 28/03/24 9:57

Mensajes: 709 Fecha de incorporación: 5/02/13 Mensajes recientes
Hi Marino,

You write that practicing metta loving kindness has decreased your identification with the body. What do you mean by body and why do you feel the lessening of identification with it being helpful?

In my understanding we have two different subtle bodies or minds. I am a tantric so I don't know how they are called in theravada but sometimes people speak of the causal body and the astral body. Astral body is the one that is very bodily and follows the form of the physical body and causal is the one which is spread out to create the aura and various centers outside the body as well as inside the body. Astral is made of meridians, causal of nadis. 

Metta meditation works mainly with the astral body which like I said is very bodily. Sometimes it is actually difficult to differentiate which sensation is physical and which is astral (which is nonphysical) because the two are so tied to each other. To me metta is a healer of psychological trauma which gradually returns the system back into its original pure condition. I understand that identification with the body can in some sense be a relief but my experience is that the more loving kindness, that wonderful soft purity, sets into the body the more embodied we become. Healing of trauma is as you describe dissolving of ego but in a different way than through insight (which takes place in the other subtle body, causal).

Much love emoticon

Ruta de navegación