How long does it take to hit A&P

Jake T Smith, modificado hace 12 años at 15/05/12 3:45
Created 12 años ago at 15/05/12 3:45

How long does it take to hit A&P

Mensajes: 19 Fecha de incorporación: 15/05/12 Mensajes recientes
So I have access concentration now, and I'd like to have a crack at insight practice.

How long in general, does it take to hit A&P though?

I've read MCTB, but it doesn't really talk about time frames.

Like, are we talking weeks, months, years even?

Thanks!
thumbnail
Yadid dee, modificado hace 12 años at 15/05/12 6:35
Created 12 años ago at 15/05/12 4:19

RE: How long does it take to hit A&P

Mensajes: 258 Fecha de incorporación: 11/09/09 Mensajes recientes
It should generally take a few days on retreat, or a few weeks off retreat,
Or much less, or more, in some non-average cases

It took me about 3 days on my third 10-day Goenka retreat, and since then, it takes me (whenever I stop practicing) 3 days on retreat, or a couple of weeks of strong daily practice.
thumbnail
Bagpuss The Gnome, modificado hace 12 años at 15/05/12 5:26
Created 12 años ago at 15/05/12 5:26

Mensajes: 704 Fecha de incorporación: 2/11/11 Mensajes recientes
Welcome to the DhO Jake

It's worth mentioning that quite a few people (myself included) seem to hit the A&P and not realise it, even with all the info in MCTB. Don't dismiss what you experience just because it doesn't match up perfectly with the descriptions you've read about. If you're unsure about stuff post it here.
thumbnail
Nikolai , modificado hace 12 años at 15/05/12 6:12
Created 12 años ago at 15/05/12 6:12

Mensajes: 1677 Fecha de incorporación: 23/01/10 Mensajes recientes
It took me 8 or 9 days on a 10 day goenka retreat.
M N, modificado hace 12 años at 15/05/12 9:54
Created 12 años ago at 15/05/12 9:52

Mensajes: 210 Fecha de incorporación: 3/03/12 Mensajes recientes
It took me two weeks of strong informal practice; at that time I had no idea of what meditation was, but they told me to pay attention in daily life...
thumbnail
Daniel Johnson, modificado hace 12 años at 16/05/12 9:58
Created 12 años ago at 16/05/12 9:58

Mensajes: 401 Fecha de incorporación: 16/12/09 Mensajes recientes
It took me about 20 years from the day I was born. I don't have any idea whatsoever how long it would take someone else.
thumbnail
Dauphin Supple Chirp, modificado hace 12 años at 19/05/12 11:12
Created 12 años ago at 19/05/12 11:12

Mensajes: 154 Fecha de incorporación: 15/03/11 Mensajes recientes
Bagpuss The Gnome:
Welcome to the DhO Jake

It's worth mentioning that quite a few people (myself included) seem to hit the A&P and not realise it, even with all the info in MCTB. Don't dismiss what you experience just because it doesn't match up perfectly with the descriptions you've read about. If you're unsure about stuff post it here.

I second this. It took me just about half an hour of noting, but that was after about 3 months of focusing on the breath, using notes only occasionally, to separate "myself" from distractions and to intensify focus on the breath. Then, once I opened up my awareness to anything, A&P happened in that very session, but the fact that I didn't recognize it as A&P was pretty much the main cause of suffering throughout my DN. I kept waiting, looking, wishing for A&P. I was well into Disgust when my friend finally took an afternoon and proved to me where I was on the map. It still didn't "automatically" catapult me into Equanimity, but it helped me stick with regular practice and even increase the time per day that I sat formally, and within a few weeks, Equanimity started setting in.

Ruta de navegación