Noting

thumbnail
14年前 に Eric Alan Hansen によって更新されました。 at 09/10/30 5:46
Created 14年 ago at 09/10/30 5:46

Noting

投稿: 128 参加年月日: 09/09/09 最新の投稿
My preference with my sitting time - when I get up - hasn't changed entirely, it is still strongly samatha with a vipassana spin on it. Characteristically rather than increments breaking up into units and moments, instead moments tend to get welded into oneness, there is a timeless moment coexistent with objective perception of time expressed in moments, and this is very conducive, I find, to getting into samadhi. But I have been listen to and reading all about the 'noting' strategies and today I was on a brisk hour-long walk and spontaneously found myself doing the noting style quite naturally - so this is okay. I had no progress on the cushion in capturing this style, but then on the walk it just happened. Interesting.
p e a c e
h a n s e n
thumbnail
14年前 に Daniel M Ingram によって更新されました。 at 09/11/01 2:12
Created 14年 ago at 09/11/01 2:12

RE: Noting

投稿: 3274 参加年月日: 09/04/20 最新の投稿
I personally have really come to appreciate walking practice, which is really under-discussed. I am glad you mentioned it. I got some of my biggest breakthroughs when walking, and noting practice when walking is very powerful. Keep going if you wish and see where it leads.
thumbnail
14年前 に Eric Alan Hansen によって更新されました。 at 09/11/02 4:58
Created 14年 ago at 09/11/02 4:58

投稿: 128 参加年月日: 09/09/09 最新の投稿
Daniel: That was a breakthrough, it was a moment when the 3 mile walk hit a certain place - and I just slipped into the noting. Now, since then, I have had several sitting sessions where noting has played a role. I seems to reduce the wandering of the mind, much tighter control, but due mostly it seems to taking the energy out of distractions by giving attention to them - then when a certain place is reached a more "flashing" or strobing effect aids the process. It seem to be th opposite end of the spectrum from what I have been doing - maybe opposites do balance!
p e a c e
h a n s e n
thumbnail
14年前 に Daniel M Ingram によって更新されました。 at 09/11/16 3:27
Created 14年 ago at 09/11/16 3:27

投稿: 3274 参加年月日: 09/04/20 最新の投稿
Dear Hansen,

Your assessments of noting's benefits are spot on. I really got a lot out of it, and still use it on occasion in tricky spots.

Keep going with it, and I think you will find great benefit.