what are these consciousness blinks in high equanimity?

Matheus Ribeiro de Assis, modificado 15 dias atrás at 03/05/24 15:39
Created 15 dias ago at 03/05/24 15:39

what are these consciousness blinks in high equanimity?

Postagens: 22 Data de Entrada: 23/01/22 Postagens Recentes
A while ago when I had a very strong practice with Mahasi's noting style I began having this snaps in consciousness. At first, I thought they where cessations, but they lack some characteristics.

My consciounesness simply blinks for a second, for some reason they remind me of the sound of cracking finger or spine joints. I don't think that I'm briefly falling asleep because there is no torpor or mental fog. But I also doubt they are cessations because there are no formation moments before it, just a sudden snap (sometimes they are like shots). A very interesting fact is that they also may happen in the middle of a thought, the phrase is simply cut in the middle and there isn't that feeling of "forgetting" what I was thinking about, just a cool equanimity and there isn't a sensation of having to finish the thought, it just breaks. 

What could these be? Are they indicatives  of anything?

​​​​​​​There is also a great sense of relief after them.
thumbnail
Pepe ·, modificado 15 dias atrás at 03/05/24 16:37
Created 15 dias ago at 03/05/24 16:37

RE: what are these consciousness blinks in high equanimity?

Postagens: 730 Data de Entrada: 26/09/18 Postagens Recentes
thumbnail
Jim Smith, modificado 14 dias atrás at 04/05/24 07:06
Created 14 dias ago at 04/05/24 07:06

Postagens: 1734 Data de Entrada: 17/01/15 Postagens Recentes
Matheus Ribeiro de Assis
A while ago when I had a very strong practice with Mahasi's noting style I began having this snaps in consciousness. At first, I thought they where cessations, but they lack some characteristics.

My consciounesness simply blinks for a second, for some reason they remind me of the sound of cracking finger or spine joints. I don't think that I'm briefly falling asleep because there is no torpor or mental fog. But I also doubt they are cessations because there are no formation moments before it, just a sudden snap (sometimes they are like shots). A very interesting fact is that they also may happen in the middle of a thought, the phrase is simply cut in the middle and there isn't that feeling of "forgetting" what I was thinking about, just a cool equanimity and there isn't a sensation of having to finish the thought, it just breaks. 

"sometimes they are like shots"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome
Individuals with exploding head syndrome hear or experience loud imagined noises as they are falling asleep or waking up,
thumbnail
Jim Smith, modificado 14 dias atrás at 04/05/24 07:12
Created 14 dias ago at 04/05/24 07:11

Postagens: 1734 Data de Entrada: 17/01/15 Postagens Recentes
Matheus Ribeiro de Assis
But I also doubt they are cessations because there are no formation moments before it, just a sudden snap (sometimes they are like shots).

What are formation moments?

Do you know of link with more information?

Thanks
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modificado 14 dias atrás at 04/05/24 07:35
Created 14 dias ago at 04/05/24 07:35

Postagens: 1732 Data de Entrada: 18/01/12 Postagens Recentes
Matheus Ribeiro de Assis

I'm not following your narrative very well

Please detail the following if you want to -

1. strong practice(what determines this?)
  2. Mahasi's noting style(please describe what you actually do)
  3. cessations, but they lack some characteristics(what characteristics?)
  4. consciousness simply blinks(what leads up to this?)
  5. describe formations please.
  6. middle of a thought(In High EQ? describe high EQ)
  7. cool equanimity and great sense of relief (then what?)

Thanks for considering supplying additional information as you will get better responses.
So far I would just toss out a wild guess that you might be moving from Jhana 3 to 4.
I hope that helps
Good Luck,
​​​​​​​~D
Robert L, modificado 14 dias atrás at 04/05/24 09:13
Created 14 dias ago at 04/05/24 09:13

Postagens: 71 Data de Entrada: 10/02/19 Postagens Recentes
I experience these and call them minicessations, where one or several of the sense doors cut out and there is no permanent change afterward. I have never had anyone adequately explain what these are, and I have been given many differing and often conflicting statements about them as you see from these responses. My advice is don't worry about it. Let them go. If they don't lead to a permanent shift they can remain a mystery, be ok with that. Weird things happen on the path, most of it is unimportant. 

Caminho de Navegação