RE: Does Shinzen's "Feel" include vedena?

thumbnail
Tarver , modified 12 Years ago at 3/10/12 1:09 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/10/12 1:09 AM

Does Shinzen's "Feel" include vedena?

This question presumes a familiarity with Shinzen Young's system:

Is liking or not liking an instance of Touch, Sight, or Sound itself an instance of Feel, and is this in turn where the traditional vedena fits into the scheme? I was doing Focus In, and wasn't sure whether to note the fact that I liked or disliked particular external stimuli. How about "neutral" vedena? Would they be noted as "Peace", for example, when practicing Focus on Rest?
thumbnail
Yadid dee, modified 12 Years ago at 3/10/12 2:13 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/10/12 2:13 AM

Hi Tarver,

You should E-mail Shinzen, he's very approachable.
Bjorn Hjelte, modified 12 Years ago at 3/10/12 4:39 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/10/12 4:08 AM

I'm not familiar with vedana but I think you absolutely can note that as Feel In if an external stimuli create an emotional respons. Shinzen even suggest that you can use external stimuli, for example watch TV and notice Feel In or any of the other Focus In methods as a way of practicing.

About your second question Shinzen writes " If you are without emotion or you have emotion but it does not involve your body, note that as "Feel Rest" and focus on the fact that your body is emotionally peaceful."

Edit: Oh, and by the way, Shinzen has changed the way he teaches labels. Of course you can still use the old ones if you are used to that but the in the new way he uses Feel, Hear and See as a base, and then you add if it's In, Out, Rest or Flow.
For example Feel is Feel In, Touch is Feel Out, Peace is Feel Rest.
Terminology and Gameboards
thumbnail
Tarver , modified 12 Years ago at 3/10/12 8:14 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/10/12 7:59 AM

Bjorn Hjelte:
Oh, and by the way, Shinzen has changed the way he teaches labels.

Thanks for the link! I only "discovered" Shinzen a short time ago, and I am still getting familiarized. I memorized what I guess would be the old system by writing out flash cards, but I have only been using it for a few hours. Anicca, anicca, anicca. emoticon

Apropos contacting him, would you believe that six-and-a-half-foot tall, highly extroverted me, I am feeling shy? I have just decided, actually, to apply for the upcoming residential retreat at the end of April. There are some details (there always are...) but I am going to see about getting it to work. I am sure to be in touch with the man himself before long. I identify very strongly with his vision and mission of figuring out how to bring enlightenment to large numbers of people -- myself ASAP, but a critical mass of the human population also, likewise ASAP.
thumbnail
Yadid dee, modified 12 Years ago at 3/10/12 9:27 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/10/12 9:27 AM

I recently sat a weekend residential retreat with him, and it was very nice.
I was going to offer to ask your question for you as he was supposed to be giving a talk today here in Israel,
but I just got the word that it is cancelled due to illness, oh well.

Hope you get the chance to do the retreat, and enjoy.
thumbnail
Tarver , modified 12 Years ago at 3/13/12 2:13 AM
Created 12 Years ago at 3/13/12 12:20 AM

A way to reframe my question would be: Is Shinzen Young's "Focus In" an analogue to vedananupassana, an analogue to cittanupassana, an analogue of dhammanupassana, a hybrid of these, or none of the above?

Breadcrumb