Message Boards Message Boards

Dharma Diagnostic Clinic, aka "What was that?"

Burning sensation left after scan

Toggle
Burning sensation left after scan
Answer
3/20/19 4:48 PM
Hello everyone, 

I had a slightly strange problem in my first retreat and in my meditation after,

Sometimes when I do body scan I feel some craving about releiving myself from pain and suffering and also other reasons, the point is when I do my body scan in a kind of craving or doubt situation in my head, I seem to feel sharp burning sensation everywhere I scan on my body and those sensations can often last a little while.

I obviously know I have to work on my equanimity but can one create lasting sensation by not being in the right mindset or it's just sensation from deep under that I'm bringing back to the surface.

Thank you all

RE: Burning sensation left after scan
Answer
3/20/19 9:04 PM as a reply to Nicolas Desbiens.
First of all I think you should check on your body to see why your body is feeling burning sensation. The point of the body scan is to be in tune with your body and making sure that every thing is running well. Perhaps the reason your feeling this burning sensation is that there is some physiological problem underlying the feeling. If after you checked this out it is just a byproduct of the meditation than you should use it as fuel to build up a equinamous mindset.

RE: Burning sensation left after scan
Answer
3/22/19 10:01 AM as a reply to Nicolas Desbiens.
Hi Nicolas welcome to the DHO.
Its all good. Nothing wrong. You didn't create the sensations. You just haven't noticed them until now. Page 52-55 should help with any doubts. I think he is practicing a different technique to you so you may find some parts of the book confusing. However regarding your query, this is almost certainly whats going on and should encourage you to investigate further with confidence.
                                                                                                                                      Best Wishes.

http://www.justbegood.net/Downloads/e-books/In%20This%20Life%20Itself.pdf