Message Boards Message Boards

Books and Websites

Beginner Resources for Chaos Magick

Toggle
Beginner Resources for Chaos Magick
Answer
3/26/19 2:16 PM
Does anyone have any good resources or books for learning/using Chaos Magick?

I'm completely new to it so recommendations for basic and pragmatic resources would be much appreciated. It seems like fun!

RE: Beginner Resources for Chaos Magick
Answer
4/25/19 3:32 PM as a reply to Hibiscus Kid.
google "reddit Chaos Magick" and pick the ones that you like for further research.  this is a vast subject and no one can claim his knowledge is superior to the others so you had to do your own digging really.

Answer
4/25/19 4:06 PM as a reply to Hibiscus Kid.
Phil Hine is a good resource--his Condensed Chaos is a frequently recommended primer for beginners and you can find an updated online version of it here titled Oven-Ready Chaos: http://www.occult-underground.com/hine.html Peter Carroll's Liber Null and Psychonaut is another classic.

Have fun!

Answer
4/26/19 9:42 AM as a reply to Hibiscus Kid.
I very much recommend starting with: 

The Chaos Protocols

Another good book that could help with the chaos mindset is:

Austin Osman Spare: The Occult Life of London's Legendary Artist

Here are three more books that are in this space but probably philosophically dated, in order of how much I liked them (most to least):

Thee Psychick Bible
Chaotopia!
Liber Null & Psychonaut

You might enjoy picking up the book Star.Ships which I recommend strongly to anyone getting into magic today by the same author as The Chaos Protocols. You should also check out his blog and podcast Rune Soup, where he interviews a huge number of contemporary occult personalities including a couple of the 'founders' of modern chaos magic and the newer grimoire revival among other writers. If you join the members section (something like only $10/month) you get access to several huge classes with videos on sigils (arguably the start of chaos magic), ancestor work, journeying/imaginational/astral projection, grimoires, saint work, and Egyptian magic. I also recommend the books from the publisher Scarlet Imprint, and recommend some of their essays and talks. If you are interested in magical books used on a practical level then a good place to start learning more about that is the work of Jake Stratton-Kent. A good scholarly book on grimoires is this one here by Owen Davies. Numerous historical grimoires have been uploaded over decades to the web by Joseph H. Peterson for free here, and his editions of magic books from the The Lesser Key of Solomon to the The Sixth and Seventh Books of Moses are typically very fine. Skinner and Rankine's Veritable Key of Solomon is also great and includes some of the historical background given in the Rune Soup course on grimoires, and I also recommend their The Goetia of Dr. Rudd. If you want to read some Aleister Crowley I recommend this book (it comes with a lot of ugly flaws/traits). A book for starting necromancy or ancestor work is this one. Hadean Press also has a Guides to the Underworld series of shorter pieces and pamphlets that are good and practical, I think, and some other good publications like the Conjure Codex series . I also like blogs like this, this, and this. 

Answer
4/25/19 6:28 PM as a reply to Hibiscus Kid.
From Theoccult private tracker, the most downloaded book (2670 times) in Chaos Magic category is:

Ramsey Dukes - Sex Secrets of the Black Magicians Exposed - An Essay On Sex Magic (1974)

The runner-up, which has almost 1,000 fewer downloads (1807 times), is this book:

Jan Fries - Visual Magick

The book "Peter Carroll - Liber Null & Psychonaut" recommended in the last post, ranked #10 in number of downloads (1049 times)

Theoccult private tracker has the most occult and magic books in one place, as far as I know, and there are very knowledgeable members in the subject of occult and magic, so these rankings may provide some valid reference value.  Just an FYI, I have zero knowledge of the subject matter.

Answer
4/26/19 11:13 AM as a reply to Hibiscus Kid.
Seconding "Visual Magick" and "Condensed Chaos."

Also highly recommending Patrick Dunn's "Postmodern Magic" and Aidan Wachter's "Six Ways."

Answer
4/26/19 12:56 PM as a reply to lotb.
lotb:
Seconding "Visual Magick" and "Condensed Chaos."

Also highly recommending Patrick Dunn's "Postmodern Magic" and Aidan Wachter's "Six Ways."

Condensed Chaos is a very small book that has 68 pages of text and practically no graphics/pictures/illustrations, it is a very basic introduction of Chaos Magick and a very easy read.

Visual Magick is also an absolute beginner's intro book, but it has 191 pages thus covers a much greater ground with more details, and the book is full of visual illustrations.

I think these 2 books are a good place to start for anyone who is curious about the subject.  I have always been a visual learner since before I can read any text, so the 2nd book works a lot better for me personally.