Message Boards Message Boards

Books and Websites

MCTB2 audiobook?

Toggle
MCTB2 audiobook?
Answer
4/25/19 3:17 PM
Does anyone know if there is a plan to produce/publish the audiobook version of MCTB2 by the publisher or 3rd party volunteers (like the MCBT1)?  

RE: MCTB2 audiobook?
Answer
4/26/19 3:04 PM as a reply to John Not2.
I was contacted by a guy who said he would read for about an hour per week, which should take about 33-36 weeks to read the whole thing, but then his life got complex, and I haven't heard from him in a while.

I plan to do one at some point, but it is quite the project to take on.

The average audiobook has about 9,300 words per hour.

It takes about 6 hours for a professional reader and a professional audio editor/producer/engineer to make one hour of finished audiobook.

MCTB2 has about 320,000 words, or about 35 hours long to read it at an average pace.

To finish 35 hours of audio would require professionals about 210 hours, but, as I would be doing it myself, and am not a professional, will presume it will take more than that, say 240-270, that is if I want to do it at something like professional level of quality. Except that I am a touch dyslexic, so, even reading my own stuff, am likely to misspeak and mix things up, which will slow me down a bit. I also am not sure how many hours I could sustain per day without getting tired, hoarse, etc. Thus, I imagine it would be about two months of nearly full-time work. Those two months haven't materlized, but perhaps next Spring? Curiously enough, I intentionally brought a mic with me that would be of pro quality just incase I start to feel inspired to take this on. I would, however, need a room quiet enough and accoustically dead enough to make me not cringe when I listedned to the recording, as I am a bit of an audio snob, actually a lot of an audio snob.

I actually started working on the MCTB2 Summary version, where I try to strip MCTB2 down to about 40,000-50,000 words, partly so that I could then do an audiobook of that, as it would be like a warm up, and probably would only take about 1/8th the time, being 1/8th the length, meaning perhaps a week or so, and then see how that goes and if I am for taking on MCTB2.

The other possibility is that I say basically, "Screw professional quality, this thing needs to be out there," and then just do a rapidly done version of it that would contain some glitches and the like, and it would sound exactly like what it was, and would probably contain some commentary that wasn't even in the original, but at least would exist. That might take a few weeks? Unclear.

Thoughts?

Daniel

Answer
4/26/19 4:07 PM as a reply to John Not2.
Thanks a lot for the update, Daniel.  I am trying to PM you but the system keeps returning "Recipients not selected", how do I PM you?  

Answer
4/27/19 5:59 AM as a reply to John Not2.
howdy,
i would suggest to crowdsource it.

assign chapters with the veto power lying with Daniel.

the cool people reading it would potentially add to the charachter of the finished product while the veto power would eliminate tongue thrusting, syllabic slurring, mike popping etc.  reading samples could streamline the selection process to avoid that someone invests the time for a large chunk.

i'd do a chapter.

Answer
4/27/19 6:07 AM as a reply to tom moylan.
another possible model would be for Daniel to put the proposal to people he respects (whether vocally, developmentally or otherwise) to read a chapter.

this would be a sneaky way to get some "Star Factor" and co-advertisement ;-)

Answer
4/27/19 7:12 AM as a reply to tom moylan.
The question then becomes how to get something like consistency of audio across readers, meaning that people would have a good enough mic with a good enough A/D converter with a good enough room and a good enough pop filter to make it sound something like ok and reasonably consistent. As a previous pro audio engineer with good tech (Logic Pro X, iZotope RX7), I can compensate for some defects, noises, pops, echos, plosives, tonal differences, dynamic differences, etc., but not all.

Perhaps many people don't care about sound quality to that degree, but unfortunately I do. It is a true curse in some ways.

Answer
4/27/19 8:33 AM as a reply to Daniel M. Ingram.
Daniel M. Ingram:
The question then becomes how to get something like consistency of audio across readers, meaning that people would have a good enough mic with a good enough A/D converter with a good enough room and a good enough pop filter to make it sound something like ok and reasonably consistent. As a previous pro audio engineer with good tech (Logic Pro X, iZotope RX7), I can compensate for some defects, noises, pops, echos, plosives, tonal differences, dynamic differences, etc., but not all.

Perhaps many people don't care about sound quality to that degree, but unfortunately I do. It is a true curse in some ways.
I have an audio sample of MCBT2 reading that I would like your feedback, and I have a different idea that may actually work and would like to run the idea by you, but I a not able to PM you because the system is not allowing it, or because I didn't know the proper PM procedure, please advice.  Thanks so much.

Answer
4/27/19 11:41 AM as a reply to Daniel M. Ingram.
Tough call. Reading the whole thing straight sounds like a PITA even without dyslexia. 

Just getting it done and not worrying about it sounding "professional" would have the advantage of taking less time and energy, but it might also be more enjoyable for you to do. Less pressure,  less stress about the dyslexia, but also you could ad-lib and probably say some things you want to say that aren't in the book. As they say, no book project is ever truly finished.  That might be fun for people to hear, and more people might listen if it's released sooner rather than later. Hard to say. And there would be nothing stopping you from doing a "professional" quality version later if the urge struck. 

Just my 2 cents.

Answer
4/27/19 12:47 PM as a reply to Andromeda.
Andromeda:
Tough call. Reading the whole thing straight sounds like a PITA even without dyslexia. 

Just getting it done and not worrying about it sounding "professional" would have the advantage of taking less time and energy, but it might also be more enjoyable for you to do. Less pressure,  less stress about the dyslexia, but also you could ad-lib and probably say some things you want to say that aren't in the book. As they say, no book project is ever truly finished.  That might be fun for people to hear, and more people might listen if it's released sooner rather than later. Hard to say. And there would be nothing stopping you from doing a "professional" quality version later if the urge struck. 

Just my 2 cents.

I feel the same, and I have an idea of a practical interim solution for getting a less-than-perfect version of audiobook out before a "perfect solution" is decided upon and the actual perfect audiobook is materialized, but I am unable to reach Daniel privately to have his feedbacks on the sample audio and the interim solution idea I am proposing.

Answer
4/28/19 2:29 AM as a reply to John Not2.
I am not sure what "unable to reach me privately" means, as there is messaging on this forum and my email is public knowledge on my website.

Ok, more votes for just getting something ok done: will use those to help balance more audio prefectionistic tendencies and see what I can do. If I did 30 minutes a day, could knock out an unedited version in two months, perhaps.

Answer
4/28/19 10:43 AM as a reply to Daniel M. Ingram.
Daniel M. Ingram:
I am not sure what "unable to reach me privately" means, as there is messaging on this forum and my email is public knowledge on my website.

Ok, more votes for just getting something ok done: will use those to help balance more audio prefectionistic tendencies and see what I can do. If I did 30 minutes a day, could knock out an unedited version in two months, perhaps.
Thanks again Daniel, I a new to the site, for unknown reason the message function doesn't work for me, as I have posted above, asking for advice on how to message you, and I also can't find your email address.  

Answer
4/28/19 4:51 PM as a reply to Daniel M. Ingram.
Hi Daniel,

Since I am unable to send you the sample audio file privately for your review and feedback, I am posting the link to the sample audio file publicly here.  Everyone can access the sample file and all feedbacks are welcome and appreciated.  I have the entire audiobook done already and can make it available here if you think it is a valid interim option before your better versions are made.  I am also interested in opinions and feedback from the forum users, as we are now in a fast-changing technology age, the traditional approach to creating audiobooks may soon become obsolete.

Thanks a lot!

John

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Inri-JtW9P7Z-IwldNpNvFtXd5Rx5dRc

Answer
4/28/19 9:34 PM as a reply to John Not2.
For the Messaging Portlet, simply be patient and follow instructions. If it is not working when you do that, let us know.

As to my email, my website is at www.integrateddaniel.info, and there you will find my contact information. It is also on the DhO wiki. When I type "Daniel Ingram contact information" into Google, my website's contact page with my email is what shows up.

As to a text to speech version, I do understand the appeal, as it is quick and cheap. That's how I managed to get through TMI the first time when I was given the .pdf by Culadasa to write a blurb about, as I was commuting a lot, as I was working a ton, and by text to speech the commute time was put to good use. Still, the real audio book is so much easier to listen to. Would a text-to-speech version be better than nothing? Perhaps, but the mispronunciations and the errors are real and annoying, at least to me. Perhaps those annoyances will inspire me to create the real thing sooner.

Did you edit the text in a few places to turn "I" into "one"? If so, why?

Thanks at least for being concerned that such a thing needed to exist and helping to make it exist.

Answer
4/28/19 10:15 PM as a reply to Daniel M. Ingram.
Thanks Daniel.  I did follow the message instruction and am unable to get it to work.  I couldn't find your email on this site either and didn't think of using google site search, thanks for the email info.

The audio is not produced using the conventional text to speech technology, and I didn't edit the source text, it was from the first day Amazon Kindle release last year, so may be it was outdated already.  Thanks so much for your feedback.  I made theaudibook for my own listening only and it will stay that way.

Answer
4/28/19 10:55 PM as a reply to Daniel M. Ingram.
Having the original audio book was really helpful. I got used to the quirks in it.