Good contemporary sources for A&P descriptions?

thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 4 Years ago at 7/6/19 5:04 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 7/6/19 5:04 AM

Good contemporary sources for A&P descriptions?

Dear All,

I am involved in some research related to the A&P, and looking for contemporary written resources that phenomenologically describe it.

I know some of the obvious ones, such as A Path with Heart, Swallowing the River Ganges, The Path of Serenity and Insight, In This Very Life, but I realize that there is no way to keep up with the massive numbers of dharma books out there, so was wondering if you know of some other useful ones.

Page numbers are very helpful, if you know them.

Thanks for any references you can lend!

Daniel
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 4 Years ago at 7/6/19 5:28 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 7/6/19 5:26 AM

RE: Good contemporary sources for A&P descriptions?

I’m too brainfoggy to do a search right now, but I know that there are or at least have been forums for people with exploding head syndrome that presented a lot of stories about head ”explosions” that fit the description. Many years ago when I read such reports I remember wondering if this was actually a spiritual thing, because I got that wibe from many of the stories.

That would be data rather than references, of course, so maybe that’s not what you are looking for at all.
Conal, modified 4 Years ago at 7/6/19 6:11 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 7/6/19 6:11 AM

Hi Daniel,

I've had a look at my Kindle version of Tim Park's "Teach us to sit still" and at about 89% (percentages rather than pages are all that is available in my rather ancient Kindle) there is a literary rather than  phenomenogical description of what appears to be A & P.

That's the best I can think of, I'm afraid.

Conal
Conal, modified 4 Years ago at 7/9/19 2:52 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 7/9/19 2:52 AM

There's a good one at about 17% of "Silicon Valley Monk" by J A Kempf (svmonk who posts here).  It's in the flashback 1988-1989 chapter.

Conal
Fiber, modified 4 Years ago at 7/9/19 5:43 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 7/9/19 5:43 AM

I find AP to share features with (hypo)mania, psychosis, bipolar. DSM would be a good index of these phenomena. Other area would be serotogenic hallucinogens (LSD, mushrooms) and DMT -- see erowid.org and maps.org emoticon.

www.aypsite.org contains a lot of AP reports -- search for "grounding".
Derek2, modified 4 Years ago at 7/9/19 7:40 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 7/9/19 7:40 AM

Chapter 13 of my little book might interest you: https://archive.org/details/slackers-guide-to-stream-entry
Edward, modified 4 Years ago at 7/15/19 1:57 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 7/15/19 1:55 PM

"THE WILD, WHITE GOOSE; The Diary of a Female Zen Priest" by Reverend P. T. N.H. Jiyu-Kennet, Roshi, Shasta Abbey, Mount Shasta, California 2002 ISBN: 0930066235

https://web.archive.org/web/20101026071524/http://www.shastaabbey.org/teachings-publications_whiteGoose.html

Founder of Shasta Abbey and Throssel Hole Abbey describes her first kensho on pages 68-85.

Breadcrumb