Embarrassment on the path

A Dietrich Ringle, modified 4 Years ago at 7/29/19 12:48 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 7/29/19 12:48 PM

Embarrassment on the path

Not very many people talk about this, but it is real and not going away any time soon. I have been doing noting practice for many years now. In the past while involved with noting I would just simply note the embarrassment and move on. But it has come to permeate all levels of my practice, so talking about it seems natural. Here are some categories.

Embarrassment due to body, moderately difficult to dismiss

Embarrassment due to mind, easy but more so fun to dismiss

Embarrassment due to speech, eternal
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 4 Years ago at 8/1/19 5:49 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 8/1/19 5:49 AM

RE: Embarrassment on the path

It is definitely true that having been born in a body routinely subjects us to embarrassment, and that will often get worse before we die.

What's on your mind specifically that this is coming up?
A Dietrich Ringle, modified 4 Years ago at 8/1/19 11:14 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 8/1/19 11:14 AM

I am in kind of a controlled descent. I have reached out to people in my community and have done the same in different ways on this forum.
Its harder to do here but I am amazed at how a few simple words can totally free my conscience in an equalizing way.
I don't know how these words will be taken. Thank you for creating this site. If nothing else, it is a place where ressurection can occur any day of the week. A tribute to the power of community as a source of the higher virtues.
thumbnail
terry, modified 4 Years ago at 8/1/19 1:37 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 8/1/19 1:37 PM

Sleeping Buddha Syndrome:
Not very many people talk about this, but it is real and not going away any time soon. I have been doing noting practice for many years now. In the past while involved with noting I would just simply note the embarrassment and move on. But it has come to permeate all levels of my practice, so talking about it seems natural. Here are some categories.

Embarrassment due to body, moderately difficult to dismiss

Embarrassment due to mind, easy but more so fun to dismiss

Embarrassment due to speech, eternal

only ego is embarassed...

like vanity, like self-pity, it seems small and tolerable but ends up overtaking everything you do...

embarassment due to body - meditate on being old, losing your teeth, hair and mind, everything falling out and decaying, naturally and organically..."once a man and twice a child," we will return to diapers and drooling if we are fortunate enough to live so long...

embarassment due to mind - meditate on no-thought, on not distinguishing good thoughts from bad (they are all bad)...

embarassment due to speech - be silent, let speech happen by itself...

shame and guilt are no more to be cherished than anger and hatred...one applies the appropriate remedies until equanimity is restored...
Jason Massie, modified 4 Years ago at 8/1/19 10:19 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 8/1/19 10:19 PM

Most people who say they are on a controlled descent are really in the middle of a crash landing. I have no idea if that is the case but it would be good to be very honest with yourself.
I would try to help people as the antidote for embarrassment/shame/self hatred/etc. Be of service to people somehow. It would be even better if you could use whatever the source of embarrassment is to help people. A peer support meeting is a type of situationĀ  where one could put past embarrassment to service.
A Dietrich Ringle, modified 4 Years ago at 8/2/19 11:29 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 8/2/19 11:08 AM

Peer groups are greatĀ 

Edit. If things do crash, you'll be hearing from me. I don't know if that sounds odd. I think things are working out!