Why is Richard adamant that mindfulness and a PCE are completely different?

thumbnail
Jon T, modified 13 Years ago at 1/24/11 7:09 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 1/24/11 7:05 PM

Why is Richard adamant that mindfulness and a PCE are completely different?

I wrote a long posts regarding AF's claims to uniqueness. I then left to walk the dog and realized that AF is, in fact, very different from Buddhism. However, I still think the AF technique is identical to mindfulness. Here is most of that previous post re-formatted to fit the new subject line.

Most of these quotes come from the Commonly Raised Objections index which can be found at the very bottom of the page of the Library and Glossary section . They are all within the category "Actualism in not new."

RESPONDENT: There is nothing new in the idea of using mindfulness as a methodical approach to awakening.

RICHARD: ...‘mindfulness’ is a Buddhist term that I never use and involves a total withdrawal of self from the sensate world so as to realise the ‘timeless’ which is another term I never use...I speak of ‘self-immolation’...

Is his "total withdrawal of self from the sensate-world" a reference to the samatha jhannas? Is this not taking those ASC out of context? Or am I ignorant?

In the following, he disparages the term 'surrender' which I believe is used by the Mahayanists to describe living within the sensate-world either with identity transcended or without it altogether.

RICHARD:...(and, further, that the word ‘refuge’ is but a code-word for ‘surrender’) but Buddhists will shake their heads knowingly and tell me that I just do not understand.

I see little between surrendering to the world as it is and self-immolation since it is the self that always wants to change the world to it's own liking. Here Peter further shows that self-immolation is desirable.

The path to an Actual Freedom is to devote one’s life to being the universe experiencing itself as a flesh and blood human being, and if undertaken with scrupulous integrity, will inevitably and inexorably lead to one’s self-immolation.

The only thing left to do is demonstrate that Buddhist believe in surrender and show that surrender and self-immolation are the same. But in order to do that, I'd have to research some Zen websites and/or Kenneth Folks dharma page. I've spent too much time on this post already. And, personally, I think it's self-evident, if you'll excuse the pun.

Here is more on mindfulness verses HAIETMOBA.

RESPONDENT: To ask and stay aware of what I am experiencing now is mindfulness.

RICHARD: The Buddhist connotations (of the english word mindfulness) come from the Pali ‘Bhavana’...‘Vipassana’ is derived from two roots:...Put it all together and ‘Vipassana Bhavana’ means the cultivation of the mind, aimed at seeing in a special way that leads to intuitive discernment and to full understanding

I am arguing that "full understanding" is surrendering to the here and now which includes the sensate-world but may also include the world of the self and dependent co-arising as it happens without judgement and with total awareness. If there is a state where dependent co-arising does not occur and that state is identical to a PCE then so be it. But that doesn't mean that mindfulness can't also occur without the process of dependent co-arising.

In the following, the respondent is making my argument. He is saying that the state of AF has been reached and identified by called by different names e.g. Non-dualism, Timelessness, Vipassana Consciousness.

RESPONDENT: ‘There is nothing but x’; substitute for ‘x’ any term ...

RICHARD: Okay ... as you say ‘any term’ here is what I report looks like under your schemata:
• [example only]: ‘There is nothing but this actual world. You are this actual world’.
Now, as this actual world is the world of this body...the world of the mountains and the streams...and so on and so on...what you are saying is that you are everything... whereas I say I am this flesh and blood body only (sans identity in toto).
There is no such self-aggrandisement...(there is no identity in actuality).
And this is truly wonderful.

Richard is fundamentally adamant that no self-aggrandizement be allowed to enter the mind. And the zen teachers say stuff like, "I am tree." I don't see the difference.

Furthermore, Peter writes in the AF glossary,

The path to an Actual Freedom is to devote one’s life to being the universe experiencing itself as a flesh and blood human being

If the path to enlightenment can lead to self-aggrandizement (which it surely can) than so can AF (as demonstrated by Peter's semantic inconsistency). Given all this, I really don't understand why Richard insists that perfect mindfulness and a PCE are completely different.
, modified 13 Years ago at 1/24/11 8:03 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 1/24/11 7:34 PM

RE: Why is Richard adamant that mindfulness and a PCE are completely differ

I don't know about Richard and I don't focus on af verus xyz.

My two cents:

a) self: mindfulness/noting/very-rigorous-awareness-of-mind-arising/mind-staying-on/getting-off-task-at-hand are disciplining the mind to at least see itself, its busy ways, its own conditioning (i lift the bucket, i fill with water, i walk back to the cabin, i...what am i going to do tomorrow, what is the meaning of living here in the boonies, does anyone care...oh! back to mindfulness: I walk with the bucket, bucket breaks!). This is a practice that trains for the "accident" to trip the mind into seeing its own illusory nature, all conditioned thoughts' illusory nature (see classic zen stories of sudden enlightenment, i.e., Sister Chiyono) and experience no-mind.

b) no self, pure consciousness: no self-mind processor (i.e., nothing can even say, "ah sunshine") , fully intimate. My impression -- and it may be completely wrong -- is that pure consciousness has no interest in creating outcomes and advancing now towards some future. It is exactly whatever now is, indivisible.

c) no self, being but not immersed in pure consciousness: I am not advanced here in the slightest, but one's egoic thoughts can fly up yet have no forces or personal steering aspect, just bits of whirling matter which redundant thoughts not only lose their former force (illusory though they were) but can cease completely. Yet, such a no self person still may have work to do, studies to complete, posts to reply to threads.

I am interested in the answers your thread receives, because I think it will help in getting out of the mind, help me understand a practical component of your query.

***update***
i recall that daniel has described being told he has(d) better bedside manner in PCE so my above thoughts must have little bearing on af

****update again****
actually, the definition in b) necessarily results in better bedside manner, cubicle work, posting etc, therefore what my c) is describing is greatly-reduced-self-without-conditioned-personality (witness), whereas b) is describing no perception of separation whatsoever.
thumbnail
Beoman Claudiu Dragon Emu Fire Golem, modified 13 Years ago at 1/24/11 7:47 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 1/24/11 7:45 PM

Hey Jon T,

Let me do my best to answer your questions, but keep in mind I don't know everything about AF or Buddhism.

Jon T:

RESPONDENT: There is nothing new in the idea of using mindfulness as a methodical approach to awakening.

RICHARD: ...‘mindfulness’ is a Buddhist term that I never use and involves a total withdrawal of self from the sensate world so as to realise the ‘timeless’ which is another term I never use...I speak of ‘self-immolation’...

Is his "total withdrawal of self from the sensate-world" a reference to the samatha jhannas? Is this not taking those ASC out of context? Or am I ignorant?

We are all ignorant =P. Well, most of us...

I don't think he refers to samatha jhanas, though. Mindfulness also doesn't refer to those, does it? To me it's more a quality you have when going about your daily life. I think by "total withdrawal of self from the sensate world," he may mean pointing to all sensations going "that's not me... that's not me... that's not me..." pretty much what we do when noting.

I see little between surrendering to the world as it is and self-immolation since it is the self that always wants to change the world to it's own liking.

You have a good point there. Indeed without the self there is nothing there to resist anything, so maybe by total surrender the same thing is meant as self-immolation, but I'm not sure.

I am arguing that "full understanding" is surrendering to the here and now which includes the sensate-world but may also include the world of the self and dependent co-arising as it happens without judgement and with total awareness.

Now you're saying something else... if total surrender is equivalent to self-immolation, how can you have the world of the self in a state of total surrender? There'd be no self. This also may be the key difference between mindfulness and AF techniques - mindfulness you see everything as being impermanent, stressful, and not-you, and you leave it at that. With HAIETMOBA you aim to actively change the world that you can (your own world) for the better, to eliminate things that cause stress, to identify what causes suffering at the root and extirpate it. (Oo I like that word - it means "to uproot" literally).

If there is a state where dependent co-arising does not occur and that state is identical to a PCE then so be it. But that doesn't mean that mindfulness can't also occur without the process of dependent co-arising.

A clarification.. mindfulness is a different kind of thing than a PCE. A PCE is a state of consciousness where the self is at bay. Mindfulness is a quality you can apply as you walk about. Mindfulness is closer to asking HAIETMOBA often.

Also the simplest answer to your question might be - HAIETMOBA leads to PCEs, while mindfulness does not.

Richard is fundamentally adamant that no self-aggrandizement be allowed to enter the mind. And the zen teachers say stuff like, "I am tree." I don't see the difference.

No Actualist would say "I am tree." as that's just not true. They don't say "I am this flesh and bloody body" to eliminate self-aggrandizement (as far as I can tell), but to point out what is actually here.

The path to an Actual Freedom is to devote one’s life to being the universe experiencing itself as a flesh and blood human being

If the path to enlightenment can lead to self-aggrandizement (which it surely can) than so can AF (as demonstrated by Peter's semantic inconsistency). Given all this, I really don't understand why Richard insists that perfect mindfulness and a PCE are completely different.

In a previous iteration of this message you added an emphasis:

A more correct emphasis would be:

That is, Peter is not saying the path of AF is to "be the universe," as that is also not true. Someone more well-versed in AF should elucidate what exactly is meant by that phrase - I think I kind of forgot - but you are part of the universe, made up of the same stuff everything else is, you have a gift of consciousness, that is, an ability to experience other parts of the universe, as a flesh and blood human being having all the sensory organs being such entails.
thumbnail
Daniel Johnson, modified 13 Years ago at 1/24/11 8:47 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 1/24/11 8:47 PM

Jon T:
The only thing left to do is demonstrate that Buddhist believe in surrender and show that surrender and self-immolation are the same. But in order to do that, I'd have to research some Zen websites and/or Kenneth Folks dharma page.

Or, perhaps, you could follow the practices, attain the results and then know from your first hand experience what the differences are or are not. This forum is a great place to get guidance on exactly this kind of experiential exploration.

Jon T:
I am arguing that...

Why argue, when you could be practicing?
thumbnail
Jon T, modified 13 Years ago at 1/24/11 8:55 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 1/24/11 8:52 PM

I don't think he refers to samatha jhanas, though. Mindfulness also doesn't refer to those, does it? To me it's more a quality you have when going about your daily life. I think by "total withdrawal of self from the sensate world," he may mean pointing to all sensations going "that's not me... that's not me... that's not me..." pretty much what we do when noting.

Ok but that is still just one practice within mindfulness.

if total surrender is equivalent to self-immolation, how can you have the world of the self in a state of total surrender?

Also the simplest answer to your question might be - HAIETMOBA leads to PCEs, while mindfulness does not.

One can mindfully surrender to the process of self observing itself unravel and then be in a PCE. (total speculation)

A PCE is a state of consciousness where the self is at bay. Mindfulness is a quality you can apply as you walk about.

True but is it fair to completely rule out the possibility of mindfulness sans identity?

No Actualist would say "I am tree." as that's just not true. They don't say "I am this flesh and bloody body" to eliminate self-aggrandizement (as far as I can tell), but to point out what is actually here.

The tree is also here. The 'I' isn't. If I am the body and the body sees the tree and the mind sees itself with the body seeing the tree, What am I? Or rather what is 'my' consciousness?

I am the universe experiencing itself as a flesh and blood human being and the flesh and blood human being sees a tree. What is the universe when at this moment nothing else can be shown to exist except that tree? There is no mind, there is only tree. I am the universe experiencing itself as a flesh and blood human being except at this moment there is no awareness of flesh or blood only tree, what am I?

Who am I? Whatever the consciousness is aware of at that moment. So during a PCE one is aware of being the universe experiencing itself as a flesh and blood human being. Does that mean a PCE an awareness of awareness + object + body?
thumbnail
Jon T, modified 13 Years ago at 1/24/11 9:06 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 1/24/11 8:53 PM

Why argue, when you could be practicing?

Do you come to the battleground and post that reply in every thread?

FWIW, There is a fear that denying the emotions will be counter-productive. I am trying to practice mindfulness while writing these posts. (premise being that mindfulness and HAIETMOBA are similar with mindfulness accepting all emotions) So I'm trying to figure out should I practice HAIETMOBA or mindfulness. Richards unnecessary insistence leads me to choose mindfulness. I'm conditioned to believe that belligerence and/or insistence = deceit.

Frankly, I should be working.
thumbnail
Pål S, modified 13 Years ago at 1/25/11 4:33 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 1/25/11 4:33 AM

Mindfulness: Attentiveness applied to the ongoing experience.
HAIETMOBA: Attentiveness applied to the ongoing experience as perceived by the self.

Try and be aware of yourself being aware of this moment, to spot the difference.

If you have not yet cultivated a PCE I would recommend it as the experience itself answers a lot of questions.

(my terminology might be off, check out this thread for a better explanation)
thumbnail
Beoman Claudiu Dragon Emu Fire Golem, modified 13 Years ago at 1/25/11 11:16 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 1/25/11 11:16 AM

One can mindfully surrender to the process of self observing itself unravel and then be in a PCE. (total speculation)

Perhaps, but it seems most people don't get into PCEs as a result of being mindful as traditionally instructed.

About the rest... ah I don't know how to reply, really. I'm not sure the direction this is going. I'm interested to see other replies.
thumbnail
Daniel Johnson, modified 13 Years ago at 1/26/11 8:30 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 1/26/11 8:30 PM

Jon T:

Do you come to the battleground and post that reply in every thread?

Oh, woops. I didn't see that it was in the "battleground" forum. doh! That's kinda funny.

By the way, I don't think actualism has anything to do with denying the emotions.

Enjoy the arguement. emoticon
Grant G Brissett, modified 13 Years ago at 3/3/11 6:45 PM
Created 13 Years ago at 3/3/11 6:45 PM

FWIW, There is a fear that denying the emotions will be counter-productive. I am trying to practice mindfulness while writing these posts. (premise being that mindfulness and HAIETMOBA are similar with mindfulness accepting all emotions) So I'm trying to figure out should I practice HAIETMOBA or mindfulness. Richards unnecessary insistence leads me to choose mindfulness. I'm conditioned to believe that belligerence and/or insistence = deceit.

Grant: The way to eliminate your 'fear' that 'denying the emotions will be counter-productive' is to:
1: pragmatically look at the premise that you should continue, 'accepting all emotions'.
2: pragmatically look your conditioned belief that, '... insistence = deceit'.
3: pragmatically look at the premise, that Richards insistence is 'unnecessary'.
4: pragmatically look at the premise, 'denying the emotions' is necessary or required.
thumbnail
Beoman Claudiu Dragon Emu Fire Golem, modified 13 Years ago at 3/4/11 10:02 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 3/4/11 10:02 AM

Jon T:
FWIW, There is a fear that denying the emotions will be counter-productive. I am trying to practice mindfulness while writing these posts. (premise being that mindfulness and HAIETMOBA are similar with mindfulness accepting all emotions)

For good reason, too, as denying the emotions will get you nowhere fast.

Richard:
To enable apperceptiveness to haply occur it is essential to allow a reflective attention – attentiveness – to one’s psychological and psychic world. It is impossible for one to intelligently observe what is going on within if one does not at the same time acknowledge the occurrence of one’s various feeling-tones with attentiveness. This is especially true with the hostile and invidious emotions and passions (those that are hateful and fearful). In order to observe one’s own fear, for instance, one must admit to the fact that one is afraid. Nor can one examine one’s own depression, for another example, without acknowledging it fully. The same is true for irritation and agitation and frustration and all those other uncomfortable emotional and passionate moods. One cannot examine something fully if one is busy denying its existence. Whatever feeling one may be having, a fascinated attention – attentiveness – freely divulges it ... it is looking with discernibleness. All affective feelings are – quite simply – an hereditary occurrence, an inborn factor to be acutely aware of. No pride, no shame, nothing personal at stake ... what is there, is naturally there. There is no clinging to the affectionate and desirable emotions and passions (those that are loving and trusting) and no fleeing from the hostile and invidious, either (those that are hateful and fearful). A contemplative attention views all feelings as commensurate – nothing is suppressed and nothing is expressed – as attentiveness does not play favourites.
thumbnail
Jon T, modified 13 Years ago at 3/7/11 1:41 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 3/7/11 1:41 AM

Beoman Claudiu Beoman:
Jon T:
FWIW, There is a fear that denying the emotions will be counter-productive. I am trying to practice mindfulness while writing these posts. (premise being that mindfulness and HAIETMOBA are similar with mindfulness accepting all emotions)

For good reason, too, as denying the emotions will get you nowhere fast.

Richard:
To enable apperceptiveness to haply occur it is essential to allow a reflective attention – attentiveness – to one’s psychological and psychic world. It is impossible for one to intelligently observe what is going on within if one does not at the same time acknowledge the occurrence of one’s various feeling-tones with attentiveness. This is especially true with the hostile and invidious emotions and passions (those that are hateful and fearful). In order to observe one’s own fear, for instance, one must admit to the fact that one is afraid. Nor can one examine one’s own depression, for another example, without acknowledging it fully. The same is true for irritation and agitation and frustration and all those other uncomfortable emotional and passionate moods. One cannot examine something fully if one is busy denying its existence. Whatever feeling one may be having, a fascinated attention – attentiveness – freely divulges it ... it is looking with discernibleness. All affective feelings are – quite simply – an hereditary occurrence, an inborn factor to be acutely aware of. No pride, no shame, nothing personal at stake ... what is there, is naturally there. There is no clinging to the affectionate and desirable emotions and passions (those that are loving and trusting) and no fleeing from the hostile and invidious, either (those that are hateful and fearful). A contemplative attention views all feelings as commensurate – nothing is suppressed and nothing is expressed – as attentiveness does not play favourites.

So where does choosing to be happy and harmless come into play here?
thumbnail
Beoman Claudiu Dragon Emu Fire Golem, modified 13 Years ago at 3/7/11 8:01 AM
Created 13 Years ago at 3/7/11 8:01 AM

Jon T:
So where does choosing to be happy and harmless come into play here?

Richard:
... Despite pure intent, the actualist lets their attentiveness slip now and then and one finds oneself stuck in some unfortunate – but normal – ‘human’ failure. It is attentiveness that notices that change ... and it is attentiveness that reminds one to apply the pure intent required to pull oneself out. Slipping into ‘normal’ happens over and over, but the frequency decreases with the assimilation of the fact that the absence of anguish and animosity in one’s moment-to-moment experience allows one’s daily life to be peaceful and harmonious way beyond normal ‘human’ expectations. Once attentiveness has exposed those affective defilements, sensuousness provides a more considerate and carefree condition ... one is happy and harmless for ninety-nine percent of the time. It is attentiveness which notices the change from ‘normal’ into happiness and harmlessness, and which reminds the actualist to maintain the pure intent needed to keep one blithe and benign ... and which allows apperception to freely happen.

I really recommend re-reading the whole essay. The "Who and How" section in particular talks about being happy and harmless more.

Breadcrumb