Nausea due to cessations from the previous path?

Nausea due to cessations from the previous path? Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö 9/15/19 8:28 AM
RE: Nausea due to cessations from the previous path? Chris M 9/15/19 8:38 AM
RE: Nausea due to cessations from the previous path? Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö 9/15/19 9:09 AM
RE: Nausea due to cessations from the previous path? Mangala 9/15/19 1:03 PM
RE: Nausea due to cessations from the previous path? Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö 9/16/19 2:01 AM
RE: Nausea due to cessations from the previous path? JP 9/16/19 8:37 AM
RE: Nausea due to cessations from the previous path? Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö 9/16/19 2:50 PM
RE: Nausea due to cessations from the previous path? Shaun Steelgrave 9/16/19 2:56 PM
RE: Nausea due to cessations from the previous path? Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö 9/16/19 3:06 PM
RE: Nausea due to cessations from the previous path? Shaun Steelgrave 9/16/19 3:11 PM
RE: Nausea due to cessations from the previous path? Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö 9/16/19 3:32 PM
RE: Nausea due to cessations from the previous path? Siavash ' 9/16/19 3:16 PM
RE: Nausea due to cessations from the previous path? Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö 9/16/19 3:30 PM
RE: Nausea due to cessations from the previous path? Siavash ' 9/16/19 3:53 PM
RE: Nausea due to cessations from the previous path? Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö 9/17/19 12:37 AM
RE: Nausea due to cessations from the previous path? Milo 9/16/19 11:37 AM
RE: Nausea due to cessations from the previous path? Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö 9/16/19 3:02 PM
RE: Nausea due to cessations from the previous path? Milo 9/17/19 12:58 AM
RE: Nausea due to cessations from the previous path? Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö 9/17/19 1:28 AM
RE: Nausea due to cessations from the previous path? Bardo 9/16/19 2:07 PM
RE: Nausea due to cessations from the previous path? Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö 9/16/19 3:23 PM
RE: Nausea due to cessations from the previous path? spatial 9/18/19 12:58 PM
RE: Nausea due to cessations from the previous path? Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö 9/18/19 3:42 PM
RE: Nausea due to cessations from the previous path? Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö 9/17/19 7:07 AM
RE: Nausea due to cessations from the previous path? Milo 9/18/19 4:10 PM
RE: Nausea due to cessations from the previous path? Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö 9/18/19 4:25 PM
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 4 Years ago at 9/15/19 8:28 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/15/19 8:28 AM

Nausea due to cessations from the previous path?

I’m having these unknowing events that may or may not be cessations from the previous path. They mimick them pretty well but I do not get that aha-feeling from something being fundamentally restructured. What I do get is nausea. It’s like these events despite not being fulfilling or groundbreaking in any way still do something to my brain, or bend and stretch the weave of reality into that wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey thing that Doctor Who talks about, especially when I have a few of them in the same session, and then I feel something similar to motion sickness. I’m wondering if that may be related to jumping between the current and the previous path? I’m working towards second path and have passed A&P a while ago and visited the post EQ junction point twice (that’s my own diagnosis, which could of course be faulty).

I would appreciate hearing about others’ experiences from having previous path cessations towards the end of their current path.
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 4 Years ago at 9/15/19 8:38 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/15/19 8:38 AM

RE: Nausea due to cessations from the previous path?

Nothing in my personal practice caused nausea but it's not out of the question. Maybe make sure you're not getting sick by seeing a doctor?
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 4 Years ago at 9/15/19 9:09 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/15/19 9:09 AM

Okay, thanks! I have heightened sensitivity to sensory impressions due to being autistic, so it is probably related to that. Much of that sensitivity dissipated after SE, but I remember Andromeda telling that for her new sensitivities would continuously arise whereas other sensitivities would diminish as her path proceeded.

I appreciate your concern, but as resources have been cut down in the Swedish health care system, the doctors only get annoyed when one tries to get a check-up for vague symptoms, especially if one already has psychiatric issues. Attributing all vague symptoms to somatization seems to be a default solution. A partner is coming here tonight so I won’t be alone anyway.

I got nauseous shortly after the last time I had a few unknowing events like these as well, so I do believe that it is related to them, or to coming back to the present path from them, but I can’t be sure. I’m more curious than worried. I have been wondering about the jumping between paths that I had only read about, and perhaps I’m now experiencing it firsthand. That’s a lot to investigate.

When you had cessations from the previous path, did you jump right back to your current path afterwards? Or what happened?
Mangala, modified 4 Years ago at 9/15/19 1:03 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/15/19 1:03 PM

It could have something to do with the disgust nana?  Have you ever considered that? 
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 2:01 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 2:01 AM

Yeah, thanks, that’s not it.
JP, modified 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 8:37 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 8:37 AM

I've had some of that general nausea/dizziness sometimes where it seems like attention is trying to settle on a fixed centerpoint as observer, but that's not working, so all of experience starts to whirl around for a second or two.  I do generally attribute it to general dark night/3rd vipassanna jhana territory, since it's got a different spatial feel from 2nd or 4th.

Could you be getting actually nauseous due to increased post-nasal drip?  Sometimes when I lose muscle tension in the head/throat, it feels like I get a sudden surge of nasal/sinus drainage that can feel nauseating.

I could swear that there's somewhere in Nikolai's practice log where he talks about everything starting to spin/whirl/destabilize when he was in the process of his centerpoint letting go for the last time, but I can't find it on my quick scan through.
thumbnail
Milo, modified 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 11:37 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 11:37 AM

Chris Marti:
Nothing in my personal practice caused nausea but it's not out of the question. Maybe make sure you're not getting sick by seeing a doctor?
+1 for this. Hasn't been a part of my own experience and if it continues I'd check to make sure there isn't some other physical cause to be safe. If it's practice related it would be a new one (To me).
thumbnail
Bardo, modified 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 2:07 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 1:45 PM

Nausea has been with me for several months on and off. I do a lot of heavy concentration work which sometimes initiates a kind of motion sickness. There has been more of a stomach nausea though where I've felt like I'm about to be sick. In normal instances this is a sign that the body wants to eject some foreign matter but here there is no foreign matter because the sickness is related to mental and emotional upheaval so on a physical level there is nothing to eject. I'm just left with a sickness feeling but not actually being sick.

I recall one time where I had the sensation of a vortex and something appeared to be draining away through that vortex. The end point of the vortex was situated just above my navel. In the following hours I developed diarrhea. I think, for some, the gastrointestinal tract plays a significant part in the removal of impurities generated by the aggregates (self) but I don't consider it as needing too much attention. The body knows what it needs to do.

The feeling of nausea can aid satipatthana practice in the four frames of reference. More specifically, contemplating the repulsiveness of the body using the feeling of nausea as a substrate to disenchantment. One might consider that extreme but that could be gauged by how much you want out of samsara.

But of course, there is always the possibility of a genuine physical ailment that may need medical intervention. Oh, and sorry, I don't do that path thing very well so I couldn't really comment on where you might be, come from or going to. 
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 2:50 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 2:50 PM

Thanks for sharing, JP!

I wasn’t trying anything in particular, just experiencing the breath in a pleasant way. No bodily fluids were involved in this case. I recognize the feeling of the airways being cracked open, but this was different, and that doesn’t make me nauseous. Nausea was probably a poor wording anyway. It was more like wearing too strong glasses, and there was a weird delay in how the vision adjusted to movements for a while after the meditation. It didn’t last that long, though.

That practice log things sounds very interesting. Thanks for the tip!
thumbnail
Shaun Steelgrave, modified 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 2:56 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 2:56 PM

i get sea sick doing water kasina, watching the ripples on the surface of a pond, then looking at trees nearby and watching them warp in the opposite direction.  it’s funny that water does it but not other weird optical illusions i was looking at a couple weeks ago, spinning spirals, etc.

not related i know, but just sharing.
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 3:02 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 3:02 PM

I’m thinking that this may be a non-native speaker thing with radically different nuances in-between languages. I didn’t think I wrote anything that would make people think I need to see a doctor. I’m perfectly healthy and the feeling I was trying to describe wasn’t that odd, just somewhat unexpected. Sorry for the confusion. Maybe my description right above, answering JP, is less misleading. I hope so. But thanks for your kind concern!
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 3:06 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 3:06 PM

Good to know that I’m not the only one who gets mild motion sickness from impressions some time. I was almost starting to feel like a freak. More than usually, I mean. emoticon
thumbnail
Shaun Steelgrave, modified 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 3:11 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 3:11 PM

seriously, who isn’t a freak here? let’s be honest.
thumbnail
Siavash ', modified 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 3:16 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 3:16 PM

In recent months, I sometimes have an experience, that could be similar to what you describe, but I am not sure (again, non-native speaker problem). It feels like there is a jump in the visual field in front of me, or that visual space starts to round around my head, but it just stops after a moment. Recently there was a weirder version of it in meditation. I noticed that the image of my body is about 6-10 inches to the left, but my perception of where my body was, was on the location that I was seated, then after a few moment, they synced with each other, and there was one perception of the body in space. Sometimes there are very subtle shifts or movements in the visual objects, that it feels like there is a very subtle wavy-ness to the objects in front of me. They often are very short, not more than 5-10 seconds.
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 3:23 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 3:23 PM

Bardo Cruiser, thanks for sharing! That sounds intense. I can relate to the motion sickness, but then again, I get that very easily in daily life as well. Ince got really sick just from floating in a swimming pool while there was music playing, and I get motion sickness from lying in my hammock.

I don’t have stomach issues related to meditation, thankfully, but I used to get it from exercise, even very mild exercise, together with a feeling of almost fainting and losing sight for a while (before yoga cured me). I think that may have been related to energy inbalances for me. For those symptoms I saw several doctors for several years and nobody found anything.

Vortex sensations sounds a bit like some of my meditative experiences. It was quite a while since they were violent-ish like that, though. It probaly sounds weird to most people, but I have missed it. I don’t think I do anymore. I have a more subtle phase now.
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 3:30 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 3:30 PM

Ah. I’m trying to describe a subtle feeling. It isn’t jumpy or spinning or anything like that. I think the feeling of having too strong glasses is the closest description I can think of. Language is so tricky!

The waviness of objects is something I can relate too, but this is different from that.
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 3:32 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 3:32 PM

I’m enjoying the good company. I kind of like it a bit freaky.
thumbnail
Siavash ', modified 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 3:53 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/16/19 3:35 PM

Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö:
Ah. I’m trying to describe a subtle feeling. It isn’t jumpy or spinning or anything like that. I think the feeling of having too strong glasses is the closest description I can think of. Language is so tricky!

The waviness of objects is something I can relate too, but this is different from that.

Hah, interesting! Strong glasses give me a feeling/experience similar to what I described above! :-)
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 4 Years ago at 9/17/19 12:37 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/17/19 12:37 AM

Haha, maybe it was closer than I thought then.
thumbnail
Milo, modified 4 Years ago at 9/17/19 12:58 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/17/19 12:58 AM

Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö:
I’m thinking that this may be a non-native speaker thing with radically different nuances in-between languages. I didn’t think I wrote anything that would make people think I need to see a doctor. I’m perfectly healthy and the feeling I was trying to describe wasn’t that odd, just somewhat unexpected. Sorry for the confusion. Maybe my description right above, answering JP, is less misleading. I hope so. But thanks for your kind concern!

It could also be just the difficulty of understanding things over the internet too : )

Glad it seems to be a minor thing. You know you best of course.
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 4 Years ago at 9/17/19 1:28 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/17/19 1:28 AM

I see now that I didn’t even describe the thing itself. It seems to be a blip, followed by a short ”beep” coming back online and then a strong vivid presence. Some very mild and brief afterglow. But then instead af that aha-feeling, I feel sort of out of phase for a while.
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 4 Years ago at 9/17/19 7:07 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/17/19 7:07 AM

Uhm nevermind.

When dwelling in meditation afterwards instead of rushing off to do errands they are actually quite heavenly.
thumbnail
spatial, modified 4 Years ago at 9/18/19 12:58 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/18/19 12:57 PM

I don't know the answer, but I experience light nausea sometimes, and I generally take it to be a sign of progress. Those kinds of sensations seem to be residue of things that were previously covered up by coarser thoughts and emotions. Maybe it's also a defense mechanism against feeling things really deeply in the center of the body?

Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö:

I don’t have stomach issues related to meditation, thankfully, but I used to get it from exercise, even very mild exercise, together with a feeling of almost fainting and losing sight for a while (before yoga cured me). I think that may have been related to energy inbalances for me. For those symptoms I saw several doctors for several years and nobody found anything.

What you are describing there sounds like a vasovagal response, which has happened to me many times (not super-frequently, though). It's happened while exercising, while standing for a long time in warm weather, while getting blood drawn, and even the first time I put contact lenses in my eyes. I don't believe it's happened in the past couple years...maybe meditation has cured me.
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 4 Years ago at 9/18/19 3:42 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/18/19 3:38 PM

Ah, you too? Sounds like pretty much the same thing. Defense mechanism and stuff laid bare seem very likely, actually. Thankyou! 

Oh, that’s interesting. I used to think it was related to my histamine intolerance or perhaps ME. I’m glad it’s gone, and I’m glad it’s gone for you too.
thumbnail
Milo, modified 4 Years ago at 9/18/19 4:10 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/18/19 4:10 PM

Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö:
Uhm nevermind.

When dwelling in meditation afterwards instead of rushing off to do errands they are actually quite heavenly.

Glad it cleared up. So what do you think it was? More insight related or more physical as Spatial suggested?
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 4 Years ago at 9/18/19 4:25 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 9/18/19 4:25 PM

Spatial was talking about two different things, as I interpreted it. The physical thing was about the illness I had before, not the topic of this thread.

I seem to have uncovered a new layer of insight, which spooked me out at first. I have had a couple of days of being easily overwhelmed, but I have been out in the nature today, and the sensitivity is worth it all.

Breadcrumb