Message Boards Message Boards

Births and Deaths

Shutdown of prefrontal cortex

Toggle
Shutdown of prefrontal cortex
Answer
12/23/19 9:08 PM
I wonder if this has anything to do with trying to milk out extra fruitions in a setting?

See 'Talking To Strangers' by Malcolm Gladwell

RE: Shutdown of prefrontal cortex
Answer
12/24/19 1:45 AM as a reply to Sleeping Buddha Syndrome.
Could you provide some kind of synopsis around this question? It could possibly invite more responses.

Answer
12/24/19 7:44 AM as a reply to Bardo.
Sure. So the idea is that in the unfortunate scenario that we find ourselves in a scenario where Buddhism aka the middle path isn't feasible, there is a 2nd option. They found that torture doesn't actually produce accurate information out of prisoners because, according to the book I mentioned, the prefrontal cortex shuts down under tremendous stress and a kind of ambivilance sets in. You will say whatever gets you by in this scenario.

Now, this is just all in the movement to bring medical terms for Buddhist phenomena. When Daniel talks about calling up extra fruitions, someone might have a better context medically speaking. It's not actually part of the middle path. More like salvation from danger.

Answer
12/24/19 8:10 AM as a reply to Sleeping Buddha Syndrome.
So we should torture people to get them to awaken???

Answer
12/24/19 8:18 AM as a reply to Chris Marti.
Not I. But it's been done. And I am not sure it leads to simple awakening. Complicated.

Answer
12/24/19 8:20 AM as a reply to Sleeping Buddha Syndrome.
Do tell!

Answer
12/24/19 9:07 AM as a reply to Chris Marti.
Do you like cold coffee or cold brew. One is lacking but hinting at glory. The other just was made to be that way. Sorry if your not a coffee fan.

Sleeping Buddha Syndrome aka Awakened Yogi Experiment!

I am not condoning torture.

Answer
12/24/19 8:47 AM as a reply to Sleeping Buddha Syndrome.
I'm drinking coffee right now yet what you're saying still isn't making sense. I'll leave you to it, though, whatever it is. Just don't hurt anyone, including you.

emoticon

Answer
12/24/19 9:12 AM as a reply to Sleeping Buddha Syndrome.
Are you saying that shutdown compares to awakening in the same way that cold coffee compares to a cold bear?

And are you referring to yourself as an experiment?

Answer
12/24/19 9:20 AM as a reply to Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö.
Yes all self-referential. For me at this moment in time I feel that the word awakening is lacking. No judgement to those who would rather drink their coffee cold.

Answer
12/24/19 9:22 AM as a reply to Sleeping Buddha Syndrome.
In what sense is it lacking?

Answer
12/24/19 9:54 AM as a reply to Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö.
I am going to bring the conversation back to its original function. I thought I could make a correlation between the medically known occurrence of prefrontal cortex shutdown and "calling up extra fruitions
I don't recommend either

Answer
12/24/19 10:16 AM as a reply to Sleeping Buddha Syndrome.
Oh, okay. So your point is that it is pointless, possibly even harmful, to intentionally repeat fruitions? Because it's forced and not the real thing? I'm sorry of I'm not following you.

Answer
12/24/19 10:19 AM as a reply to Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö.
I wanted to have a discussion about it. Thanks in advance 

Answer
12/24/19 10:35 AM as a reply to Sleeping Buddha Syndrome.
Right. I have actually been wondering myself what is the point to repeated fruitions. I guess there are many differerent cognitive processes that need not to blank out to the fact that consciousness is discontinuous? I don't believe that fruitions can be forced. Either it happens or it doesn't. I can't know for sure, though. I'm thinking that it isn't the shutdown that is the point of it, but the awareness of the shutdown and of how all the constructions build up again afterwards. That the world isn't just there when consciousness comes back online, but must be built. Shutdowns probably happens all the time, but we just blank it out and smooth over the discontinuities.  

Answer
12/24/19 10:48 AM as a reply to Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö.
Yeah. That my OCD brain likes to think otherwise is probably some form of evolution. Or perhaps devolution.

Answer
12/24/19 10:55 AM as a reply to Sleeping Buddha Syndrome.
What does it think then? That there is continuity apart from the cessations? Or that cessations are another form of discontinuity? Or what? 

Answer
12/24/19 11:03 AM as a reply to Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö.
It thinks there is continuity apart from the discontinuity 

But I take OCD medication

Answer
12/24/19 11:06 AM as a reply to Sleeping Buddha Syndrome.
Aha. Do you think that it could be the case that it fears finding out that there isn't? 

(I have Tourette syndrome, which is related. I used to be sooooooooo tired of my brain.)