Message Boards Message Boards

Miscellaneous

Do you play Music?

Toggle
Do you play Music?
Answer
2/4/20 9:51 AM
I've read Nick O plays music so wonder if anyone else do such a thing here on DhO emoticon 

I play guitar and usually come up with riff ideas but lack arrangement skills. And I'm terrible at writing lyrics. 

share if you dare emoticon 

RE: Do you play Music?
Answer
2/4/20 11:36 AM as a reply to Che Guebuddha.
Che Guebuddha:
I've read Nick O plays music so wonder if anyone else do such a thing here on DhO emoticon 

I play guitar and usually come up with riff ideas but lack arrangement skills. And I'm terrible at writing lyrics. 

share if you dare emoticon 

aloha che,

I don't play, and they won't let me sing, but I love music and listen to it all the time. Andf I love musicians, right brainers all, intuitive and present.

What I can share is a story about socrates. Socrates famously had a daimon, a familiar being who counseled him from the invisible world from time to time. The daimon only indicated that he should not do something, always in a negative way, often saving him from error. Only once did it speak and it told him, "Make more music."

terry

Answer
2/4/20 8:29 PM as a reply to Che Guebuddha.
Hi CheGB,

A few weeks ago, I released my first album, something that was in my bucket list. Sort of "rock latino" , if you ever heard about this style. Here's a dharma related song of mine (lyrics are in Spanish) uploaded in Spotify: Desde el Umbral. There I sing and played the arpeggio guitar. Hope you enjoy it!

PS: In order to open Spotify (for free), a Facebook acount or gmail is required

Answer
2/5/20 1:05 AM as a reply to Pepe.
Thanks Terry. That's a lovely story. 

Pepe I'm looking forward to hearing your album. I like fusion styles and Latino grooves. 

Answer
2/5/20 2:45 AM as a reply to Pepe.
I like Botinera emoticon It does remind me of an old partisan song called Bella Ciao which I also like. I also like the Migrantes, shame I cant speak Spanish to be able to understand the lyrics.

Nice! There is this gypsi feel to it which I like and can also be found in Hungarian and Serbian gypsi music. Fine stuff! Well done!

Here are some songs I made with a frind of mine. He is the one writing lyrics and arrangement and Im behind the riff/melody

https://soundcloud.com/papa-dusko/sets/the-harley-benton-band

Answer
2/8/20 8:54 AM as a reply to Che Guebuddha.
I like the songs!  In general, they show cool sonic landscapes, that sometimes I relate to The Cure or early U2. My favourite is Grain of Salt emoticon, it reminds me of The Black Keys' Gold in the Ceiling  and Lonely Boy. Tribes No More is an excellent track, it needs lyrics! Into The Spring has a great riff, it's has a U2 vibe I love, add it some lyrics too! Last Dance for the Wicked has a cool intro and solid background guitar. In Damascus you are using an Harmonic Minor scale, isn't it? That's what I think you found a gypsy vibe in some of my songs. I loved the chorus of Chop Wood, Carry Water. It remined me of Pink Floyd, The Wall.  Roots are Showing reminds me of some 80's american rock band, I can't recall now. Keep on with the good music!

Regarding my songs, good to know you liked Botinera most. It's about soccer stars girlfriends. It describes in comical way -with soccer lingo- how beaty queens of sorts find a career path by chasing soccer stars. In fact, some botineras actually have more space in the news than their partners emoticon  This song and others may have a gypsy feel, as they mix Natural Minor and Harmonic Minor scales, and that coupled with a ska groove, sounds similar to Klezmer, a jewish variant of the Gypsy/Balcanic styles. 

Migrantes is inspired in african and sirian refugees crossing the Mediterranean. Below, a loose English translation of the first half of the lyrics. The poetry is unfortunately lost, but at least you'll get the meaning. Hope you like it.

Cold at dawn,
lost gazes on a never ending flat horizon.
Nothing to lose,
with an illusion clinged to a few vague promises.
A matter of faith.
Intertwined fates,
a major milestone in their lives
No plans for D-Day,
a creed to hope ...

Anonymous trips of joint destination,
Exiles, migrants, their hearts in suspense.
Errants at the seas, weather-beaten skins,
Peace awaits ahead, nothing to be afraid of.
Uh... sleepless night on the high seas, 
so far from home...

Answer
2/14/20 2:06 PM as a reply to Che Guebuddha.
Hey Che, I am a musician as well, glad to see people talking about it here.  Recently I've been thinking more and more about how to incorporate music into my practice in a more formal way.  Would love eventually to find and help grow a community of like-minded spiritual musicians.

Here's some of my tunes if you're interested:

https://open.spotify.com/artist/45J4yniJbxmwheNqO0UAJO?si=t7C6A8tDSWecW_Y-s0xdcw

Working on new stuff now that is a little but more, uh... Buddhist...

Answer
2/14/20 2:54 PM as a reply to Che Guebuddha.
I've been playing power chords on Rickenbackers and banging drums since my teens. After stream entry, though, my interest took a nose dive and I hardly play anymore.