Milo, modified 4 Years ago at 3/8/20 9:47 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 3/8/20 9:47 PM

RE: Science Says Afterlife Impossible?

Context?
thumbnail
Milo, modified 4 Years ago at 3/8/20 10:12 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 3/8/20 10:10 PM

I will say that personally I think that this is a claim that science can't (Yet) back up empirically. My question for the people making these claims is this: if you take away parts of a brain using some method as mentioned in the article, can you show definitively the point at which further removal or addition turns 'mind' on and off? Can you even define what 'mind' is in a monistic/materialist framework such that we could test it? Until then I'll regard this as some people mistaking science for being able to make metaphysical (Non empirical) claims.
thumbnail
Milo, modified 4 Years ago at 3/8/20 10:28 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 3/8/20 10:28 PM

...And that's not to mention, from a Buddhist perspective, the entire idea of self put forth in the article is flawed from the get go of course.
EdMelvin, modified 4 Years ago at 3/8/20 10:59 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 3/8/20 10:59 PM

Milo, thank you for your answers. No context, other than my own, personal, long-time-lingering, quickly-disappearing, tiny hope that this thing called Life has any shred of inherent meaning, other than that which each of us personally manufacture. Thanks to all, who give their input here!
thumbnail
Milo, modified 4 Years ago at 3/8/20 11:57 PM
Created 4 Years ago at 3/8/20 11:38 PM

It might be that meaning could exist as a transpersonal process to participate in, rather than as an atomic or individualized thing to be sought and aquired, no? : )
thumbnail
Ni Nurta, modified 4 Years ago at 3/9/20 1:17 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 3/9/20 1:17 AM

If we mesure dependency of mind on body and body decays then mind will cease to exist. This is what science agrees on.

This however does not say:
1. That experience of any kind will cease to exist - after all we are material and the matter itself does not disappear after we are dead
2. That quantum information of our bodies ceases to exist - we do not know how to retrieve it but in theory nothing is actually lost
3. That there is absolutely no chance for afterlife - it is just that we lack any good theory or measured effects for any wild theory that we do have but at the same time we do have a lot of such theories

I personally would say that there will be something in some form and how it will be is not fixed and depends on factors, including those which we ourselves can affect.
thumbnail
Buddhamma, modified 4 Years ago at 3/9/20 2:38 AM
Created 4 Years ago at 3/9/20 2:38 AM

It is interesting to think about. I do myself believe in rebirth though. If the Buddha was able to come up with all that he came up with, that in itself is already almost unbelievable. But we have the tripitaka to prove this I guess. Has anybody checked out the corresponding sutta's that talk about this?

Also, we can prove the world existed before we were born. But then, where were we before we were born? You can't create something out of nothing. So we must have been somewhere, right? Buddha's theory of karma does make a lot of sense. Do good and reap good results, do bad and reap bad results and ?doing nothing? results in nibbana. 

Breadcrumb