Polly Ester’s practice log 8

thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 1 Year ago.

Polly Ester’s practice log 8

It's time to start a new log again, because the last one was getting ridiculously long, again. This new log might be a boring read, because I seem to have entered a territory where the best results come from practices that don't investigate that much but rather just let awareness be aware of itself without putting it into words or even bothering to make distinctions. I seem to have a hard time trusting that, and yet, when I do it anyway, that's when space either opens up or collapses or both, so it seems to be what I need to do right now. 
thumbnail

RE: Polly Ester’s practice log 8

I lay down to just be for about an hour, letting sensations be sensations and mind movements be mind movements without identifying more with one or the other. There were some poppings, some of which seemed to entail electric surges like when electronic devises are turned on. The nada sound is really loud now, almost like the existence is buzzing.  
thumbnail

Okay, so apparently it is quite possible to just lay attachment to subjectivity aside for some time when I don't have to interact. I know that it has also been possible in the midst of interaction. I love it when it happens. So maybe I should just trust it to be there. It can't hurt, I guess. Maybe I should just give my self a vacation now and then and allow me not to pop up in the foreground. I can do that. It's ethnography. That's what I do for a living. Less phenomenology, more ethnography. I actually love ethnography because it allows me to forget about myself while still having a full experience. That's a damn good reminder that might just help with my writer's block too. The book isn't about me. It's ethnography. I'm telling other people's stories, not mine. So why not just let those stories tell themselves. Yeah, why not? 
thumbnail

So I'm experimenting with asking the question "How can there be freedom right now?", and it does something. Sensory manifestations float around and come to life. Traffic sounds, birds chirping, children shouting, babies crying etc come together as a symphony with a vibrational quality reminding somewhat of a gong bath, and there's a lightness to it. 

I think I need to stay out of things that trigger me for a while, not to bypass them but for the sake of timing. This is not the time for setting off defences. 
Tim Farrington, modified 1 Year ago.

A new day, a new thread. Beautiful. Thank you again and still and always for your sharing here.
thumbnail

Tim Farrington:
A new day, a new thread. Beautiful. Thank you again and still and always for your sharing here.

Thank you! (We seriously do need a heart emoji or at least a namaste emoji here, if hearts are considered too distracting or something.)

---

In my reclining practice earlier today, something was going on with my vision. I use a blindfold, so I know that any lights that appear are mind-made, not emmanating from a physical light source. In the beginning of the session, there was some centered brightness, nothing out of the ordinary, very basic stuff. Then a very bright point popped into the screen from my right side, seemingly with an intention, and it sort of made a jump, and then settled and either faded or mixed with the ordinary brightness. Right after that, one of my cats jumped up on my chest from the right. I cuddled him for a moment and then returned to spaciousness, and he settled down and seemed to join me in meditation. He was leaning his head to the left side of my chest and stretching his front paws to that side to maintain balance while relaxing. A red shimmer appeared at the left side of my screen. It grew stronger and sort of stabilized. It had movements to it but the strength of it and its location and size (it was a field that didn't seem to have its borders on the left side within my screen but slightly outside it, and it took up maybe a fifth of my screen, which is a wide screen that curves outward) remained relatively intact for a long time. I estimate it to be close to an hour. It was glowing steadily and brightly and it was undeniably red with some pink features. Towards the end of the session, my cat moved a bit and placed himself in a more centered way on my chest. That made the red field move the same way. Afterwards, when my cat was no longer on my chest, the red field was gone. 

well, you call it a red glow, i call it a cat, i guess. or was it the other way around, or both, or yes? I get us confused sometimes.
thumbnail

Maybe it was my idea of that cat. Some cats are really good at "mindmelding". They seem to know how to let information get all merged and interactive. I think that first bright spark was his intention of jumping onto my chest as manifested in my mind when information interacted. Whether it was some synesthetic processing of very subtle hearing or of kinesthetic sensing of movements in the air or something else, I'll never know. That cat sometimes wakes me up in the middle of the night by being about to climb the fence and jump onto the window to signal that he wants to be let inside. I seem to wake up from his intention before he acts on it. 

And all this is before we even mention Shrodinger and that cat of his.
thumbnail
Siavash, modified 1 Year ago.

We seriously do need a heart emoji or at least a namaste emoji here, if hearts are considered too distracting or something.

I am trying to post a solution here for this emoji problem, but I am getting an error saying "Message Boards is temporarily unavailable."!

Sorry for spamming, I am writing this to see if it's because of emojis in that post that I get this error or not.

Edit:
Below was the solution, but when emojis are included in the post, it raises the above error, and it seems that is not working.

When you right click here on the editor, sometimes it opens browser' paste popup, and sometimes DhO' paste popup (I don't know its logic). If it's browser' popup, it may have a Emoji & Symbols menu item. If it didn't have, just click DhO popup' paste item, and in the next dialog, right click, and there you'll get browser' popup. For me, Chrome on Mac, browser' popup has this Emoji & Symbol item, that if you click it, it opens another dialog containing many more emoji and symbols and you can choose or type the word you want, like thanks or love, and select from results. But I don't know all browsers and in all platforms have that option or not.

And sorry about your job. You'll be fine.

Siavash:
I am trying to post a solution here for this emoji problem, but I am getting an error saying "Message Boards is temporarily unavailable."!

Sorry for spamming, I am writing this to see if it's because of emojis in that post that I get this error or not.

emoticonemoticonemoticonemoticonemoticonemoticonemoticonemoticonemoticonemoticonemoticonemoticonemoticon

Tim Farrington:
Siavash:

emoticonemoticonemoticonemoticonemoticonemoticonemoticonemoticonemoticonemoticonemoticonemoticonemoticon
This is what my emoji Master Papa Che would call, a very good practice log entry, in noting emoji practice technique.
thumbnail

Yeah!

It didn't work. Liferay' editor doesn't recognize symbols it seems, and it only recognize text, and for its own emojis, it has textual representation for each one. Legacy system problems! Sorry Linda, again.

Siavash:
Yeah!

It didn't work. Liferay' editor doesn't recognize symbols it seems, and it only recognize text, and for its own emojis, it has textual representation for each one. Legacy system problems! Sorry Linda, again.

Ask Chris Marti about this tech stuff, it's way beyond my pay grade.

It is very polite of you, gracious and sensitive to apologize to Linda for this besmirchment of her practice log. She is perfectly capable, as i well know, of telling both of us to take it to another bar. So i will hide behind you, dear Siavash, for the time being, as you are so much nicer. That woman scares the shit out of me, to tell you the truth.
thumbnail

Tim Farrington:
Siavash:
Yeah!

Ask Chris Marti about this tech stuff, it's way beyond my pay grade.

It is very polite of you, gracious and sensitive to apologize to Linda for this besmirchment of her practice log. She is perfectly capable, as i well know, of telling both of us to take it to another bar. So i will hide behind you, dear Siavash, for the time being, as you are so much nicer. That woman scares the shit out of me, to tell you the truth.

Yes, Linda is capable of course!
But don't worry, we will end this emoji thing here, and Linda will be kind and won't say anything this time emoticon
thumbnail

Siavash:
Yeah!

Oh, I tried that sollution ages ago. emoticon I'm not a programmer, but I'm meddling. 

Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö:
Siavash:
Yeah!

Oh, I tried that sollution ages ago. emoticon I'm not a programmer, but I'm meddling. 
Linda, about messing up your thread here and lowering the general DhO vibe with a bunch of crap, i just want to . . .

tell you it was Siavash, it was all Siavash!! He made me do it!!

(sorry, Siavash, this isn't about friendship anymore, this is just survival. Do you truly understand the extent of the powers this person "Linda" has available to her, should she care to use them for the purposes of, say, lightning strikes or something? Run for cover, man, it's everyone for themself at this point.)
thumbnail

Tim Farrington:

Do you truly understand the extent of the powers this person "Linda" has available to her, should she care to use them for the purposes of, say, lightning strikes or something? Run for cover, man, it's everyone for themself at this point.

I was just using the word jinx in a different conversation with a friend on messenger and was reminded of the fact that I actually believed for a while that I was a jinx. At the time it really seemed like I was a magnet for chaos. As soon as I felt happy for a little while, someone around me died or something. It was total chaos wherever I went, like a portable chaos field. It sounds like a really weird thing to believe, but I’m still immensely happy that it’s not like that anymore and that it probably wasn’t me. I was scared of me. At that time I adopted the alias Tintomara from a book by C.J.L. Almqvist. Tintomara was a non-binary being who was always at the centre of others' tragedy, and although innocent, was eventually sentenced to death for it. 

Being harmless is quite the relief. 

Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö:
Tim Farrington:

Do you truly understand the extent of the powers this person "Linda" has available to her, should she care to use them for the purposes of, say, lightning strikes or something? Run for cover, man, it's everyone for themself at this point.

I was just using the word jinx in a different conversation with a friend on messenger and was reminded of the fact that I actually believed for a while that I was a jinx. At the time it really seemed like I was a magnet for chaos. As soon as I felt happy for a little while, someone around me died or something. It was total chaos wherever I went, like a portable chaos field. It sounds like a really weird thing to believe, but I’m still immensely happy that it’s not like that anymore and that it probably wasn’t me. I was scared of me. At that time I adopted the alias Tintomara from a book by C.J.L. Almqvist. Tintomara was a non-binary being who was always at the centre of others' tragedy, and although innocent, was eventually sentenced to death for it. 

Being harmless is quite the relief. 

That's a good one, "harmless." You stick to that story and i'll have your back all the way. I might occasionally giggle when you say it, but am becoming the Master of My Face, and soon will never even crack a smile at the Cosmic Joke itself.
thumbnail

Tim Farrington:

That's a good one, "harmless." You stick to that story and i'll have your back all the way. I might occasionally giggle when you say it, but am becoming the Master of My Face, and soon will never even crack a smile at the Cosmic Joke itself.

Hey there, when I warned you that my energies might be risky business after all, you didn’t believe it.
thumbnail

Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö:
This new log might be a boring read, because I seem to have entered a territory where the best results come from practices that don't investigate that much but rather just let awareness be aware of itself without putting it into words or even bothering to make distinctions. I seem to have a hard time trusting that, and yet, when I do it anyway, that's when space either opens up or collapses or both, so it seems to be what I need to do right now. 

If I'm getting this all wrong, or if you have any gentle pointers that you think might help, I'm willing to listen. I may not be able to explain myself very much right now as words are failing me. I feel insecure and question everything in some moments and feel like everything is exactly as it is supposed to be in other moments, and I don't think any of those versions are correct. 

Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö:
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö:
This new log might be a boring read, because I seem to have entered a territory where the best results come from practices that don't investigate that much but rather just let awareness be aware of itself without putting it into words or even bothering to make distinctions. I seem to have a hard time trusting that, and yet, when I do it anyway, that's when space either opens up or collapses or both, so it seems to be what I need to do right now. 

If I'm getting this all wrong, or if you have any gentle pointers that you think might help, I'm willing to listen. I may not be able to explain myself very much right now as words are failing me. I feel insecure and question everything in some moments and feel like everything is exactly as it is supposed to be in other moments, and I don't think any of those versions are correct. 

You're doing it just right, love.
thumbnail

I had another one of those space collapses today, that is, deconstructing depth vision. I was lying on the yoga mat before the class started and the rectangular pattern in the ceiling stood out, like it was a miniature ceiling hovering only 20 cm above me. After the class I did it intentionally. 
thumbnail

Today I have the goal of identifying and not giving into the airy avoidance mechanisms of "I'll just do this little thingie first". A chat with a wise friend made me remember the strategies that I have that actually work and inspired new ones. I'm going to beat this writer's block. 

When I lay down to sleep last night there were lots of white light sparkles that converged at the centre of the visual field to form a sphere. I asked to remember dreams, which I did. I asked for a lucid dream, which did not happen. 

Writing this was actually one of those little thingies to do first, so it starts from now on. That means that I'm NOT allowed to read new posts on this forum right now, because it's time to get to work. I'll be reading scientific papers in my hammock, nothing to have performance anxiety about really. Getting rid of that totally irrational performance anxiety was one of the effects of SE that unfortunately didn't last. 

Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö:
Today I have the goal of identifying and not giving into the airy avoidance mechanisms of "I'll just do this little thingie first". A chat with a wise friend made me remember the strategies that I have that actually work and inspired new ones. I'm going to beat this writer's block. 

Writing this was actually one of those little thingies to do first, so it starts from now on. That means that I'm NOT allowed to read new posts on this forum right now, because it's time to get to work. I'll be reading scientific papers in my hammock, nothing to have performance anxiety about really. Getting rid of that totally irrational performance anxiety was one of the effects of SE that unfortunately didn't last. 
Beating writer's block is like stream entry, in that the only way to do it properly is to achieve and then maintain a decent spell of stabilized equanimity. You can't muscle through it, WB is a dukha nana par excellence. So i would advise that you treat writing as you would sitting meditation: set aside a time interval or intervals, very strict and formal, and just BE THERE during that appointment-with-writing time, complete and silent, waiting for what I think of as the "voice" to move or sound. You'll have your own very linda way of recognizing that impetus, and i'm pretty sure i don't have to belabor that, beyond saying that IT COMES AS A GIFT from being at peace, first, with silence. Leonard Cohen has a prayer of a song called, "If it Be Your Wiill," which goes in part:

If it be Your will, that i song no more,
that my voice be still, as it was before,
I will sing no more, i shall abide until
i am spoken for
if it be Your will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR1m98xnl5c

(sweet version, duet with Jennifer Warnes)
thumbnail

Thankyou Tim! Yes, I definitely see the similarities and I know that what you are suggesting works, as this isn't the first time I have to cut through this. Unlike stream entry, I find that I need to do it over and over again. I deeply appreciate your input. You and others on this forum are what inspires me to get through this. I have had enormously helpful chats with spatial, and Shargrol's advice to Mike yesterday (?) as well as your determination to gradually lock in a baseline for your practice are helpful.
thumbnail

I need to ask: Does the black parts of the iconic image of this podcast stand out in 3D or is my vision going heywire again?
https://anchor.fm/daniel-hill6/episodes/An-Interview-with-Daniel-Ingram-Part-One-ebvrtn/a-a1penf0

I'm on lunchbreak now, cooking food, so I'm allowed to listen to podcasts and write here. I'm working on my smage* skills, integrating dharma talks and mantra chanting with kitchen chores in order to make life as a householder practicioner function. I need to use my time effectively so that I have time both to practice and to make the world a better place (which ideally is what I do with my research). Also, it makes the kitchen chores not only bearable but even fun.

*) concept reluctantly coined by Daniel in "this fine audio recording" from the Bryngarth II fire kasina retreat. 

Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö:
I need to ask: Does the black parts of the iconic image of this podcast stand out in 3D or is my vision going heywire again?
https://anchor.fm/daniel-hill6/episodes/An-Interview-with-Daniel-Ingram-Part-One-ebvrtn/a-a1penf0

No, the black arc is a definite drop off into the void for me too, pure three D, possibly even without going in with your suggestion biasing my take on it.

I'm working on my smage* skills, *) concept reluctantly coined by Daniel

will do kitchen chores cheerfully for explanation, as i am only into the intro so far of this fine audio recording  from the Bryngarth II fire kasina retreat. 
thumbnail

Oh, I see it the other way around, as standing out. I can see that it's typically the kind of illusion that can be perceived both ways, so the 3D effect is intentional. It's just that all sorts of things have had similar effects for me lately, so that's why I was wondering. 

Great that my vagueness inspired to some dharma listening. 
thumbnail

I just found out that I'll lose my employment at the University as a researcher from July 1st. My boss and colleagues want to keep me there and there is financing available and I have a book to write but the law won't allow for any more temporary employments and my department can't take the risk of offering me an employment with indefinite duration. I also got a call from the social services today because of my child's situation. We have done everything we can as parents to support our kid as much as is humanly possible in a situation where she has to wait several years for the care she needs, and because of that, they are now worried and are obliged by the law to check up on us. Thankfully the woman who called has children in a similar situation and she seemed nice, so maybe this won't have to be a bad thing.

At least I did write today. Life kind of sucks a bit but there is a sense of spaciousness and some jhanic factors.

I'm still going to write that book somehow. I don't know how, but I'll find a way. 
thumbnail
Chris Marti, modified 1 Year ago.

I'm so sorry!
thumbnail
Olivier, modified 1 Year ago.

You will find a way !

Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö:

I'm still going to write that book somehow. I don't know how, but I'll find a way. 

Yup.
thumbnail

Thanks, all of you!

My conditioning kind of sucks, because this will require a lot of executive functioning that I don't really have: organizing, prioritizing, decisionmaking, structuring, making contacts, planning, administration, remembering important things that need to be taken care of, actually taking care of those things in time... and where the hell shall I put all those books and papers and stuff?! It is urgent to find a legal way to maintain access to my research data. At the same time I will have to search for a new job, one that won't make me want to die. This is going to be overwhelming and there isn't much I can do about that.

But it is a beautiful warm spring day today, with cherry blossoms, violets and wood anemones etc in full bloom, and there is that golden evening light that I love, and nobody can take that away from me, because it is just there where it is. 
agnostic, modified 1 Year ago.

I'm really sorry to hear about this Linda. I hope you can find something else soon.
thumbnail
Not two, not one, modified 1 Year ago.

Really sorry to hear this.  emoticon  You will definitely find a way to achieve your goals.
thumbnail

Thankyou, Malcolm and Aggie! 

The feeling I have right now is that I'm done with the career thing. I want calm in my life. I'm done with the constant worry about fundings and having to compare myself with others and be top notch. I want a job that does minimal harm and that somehow makes the world a better place and that doesn't involve constant performance anxiety. If the only job I can find that lives up to that is at some second hand shop like most autistic people in this town, then I can probably live with that. That's not plan A, though. I think I could contribute more than that. If only someone would be willing to employ me for it, I could lead support groups or something. 
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 11 Months ago.

My best wishes for you and your family! Hope all goes your way!
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 11 Months ago.

Papa Che Dusko:
My best wishes for you and your family! Hope all goes your way!

Thankyou!
thumbnail

I just did a two hour session of fire kasina. I had set the alarm for half an hour but it just felt so good. There's a new taste to it that hasn't been there before, a lightness and a richness of subtle nuances. I had the Avalokiteshvara heart dhurini mantra playing in my inner hearing the whole time. It's a bit long for a concentration mantra, I think, but I didn't do it on purpose. It's just there, living its own life. All senses were involved. The dot was detailed and bright (except for when it was black) and vivid and longlasting. It changed colors and had halos in different colors. The shape varied somewhat. Sometimes there was 3D movement within the dot. Sometimes there was sort of an electric shimmer outside the dot and its layers of still halos. The shimmer had tiny dots of different colors arising and passing away in rapid succession and deminded of carbon dioxide in a fluid, sort of. There were phases when the happy chemicals just flooded. It felt like I was floating and I almost burst into laughter. There were also phases of deep calm and some sort of melancholy that had a beauty to it. Grief maybe. 

Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö:
TThere were also phases of deep calm and some sort of melancholy that had a beauty to it. Grief maybe. 

I love the word "poignancy," that sweetest of heartaches. And grief, accepted, has that quality.
thumbnail

Tim Farrington:
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö:
TThere were also phases of deep calm and some sort of melancholy that had a beauty to it. Grief maybe. 

I love the word "poignancy," that sweetest of heartaches. And grief, accepted, has that quality.
Maybe that's the best translation for the Swedish word "vemod" that came to my mind, a word that I love. Thankyou!
thumbnail

Deleted double post (there’s a bug in the code that messes with the time stamp if a post is deleted so I edit instead).

för all del!

(de nada.)

(edit) i just went to slip in a simple response to a "thank you," and you had time to (not)-delete a double post and re-write it as an edit, with your eye on the time stamp integrity! You terrify me, you super-real creature of wonder and joy.

thumbnail

I think you mean "Det var så lite så". 

Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö:
I think you mean "Det var så lite så". 

What i really meant was, "de nada," which has a particular tone, with a touch of "Of course! Don't mention it." I was also leaning toward ingen orsak. "

Det var så lite så," is simple polite standard response, right? I wanted the casual affectionate no-big-deal, anything-for-a-friend note.

thumbnail

That's what I would say in that case. That's colloquial Swedish.

Det var så lite så?

thumbnail

Yes. With a warm smile. That says it all. 
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 1 Year ago.

Ska vi så prata på Svenska her? Hur seger man dependent origination så? emoticon I dem åtta år i Sverige har inte rigtigt lert mig at skriver gott. Men Lagom er et bra ord i sammanheng med Dharma = middle way. I like it! emoticon 
thumbnail

Papa Che Dusko:
Ska vi så prata på Svenska her? Hur seger man dependent origination så? emoticon I dem åtta år i Sverige har inte rigtigt lert mig at skriver gott. Men Lagom er et bra ord i sammanheng med Dharma = middle way. I like it! emoticon 

I don't have a clue. I'm doing all my dharma reading in English. Yeah, "lagom" is a great word that is surprisingly hard to come across in other languages. 

Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö:
Papa Che Dusko:

I don't have a clue. I'm doing all my dharma reading in English. Yeah, "lagom" is a great word that is surprisingly hard to come across in other languages. 

"beroende ursprung" is the phrase you're looking for here, i think, Papa Che.

thumbnail

Tim Farrington:
"beroende ursprung" is the phrase you're looking for here, i think, Papa Che.

That sounds awfully stilted, to be honest, but then again, translations often do. I don’t have any better suggestion.
thumbnail

Too bad I can't make a living on that. emoticon  You really have a talent for compliments. 

Breadcrumb