Finding a socially distant teacher

Iain, modified 3 Years ago at 8/2/20 6:09 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 8/1/20 7:46 AM

Finding a socially distant teacher

Hi all,

I am working my way through MCTB and, on everyone's strong urging, want to find a teacher. I've been meditating on and off for a year or so, but got more serious about it in the last month or so, about an hour a day. No doubt that I want to continue.

I'd love to go on a retreat or to a local meditation center, but doesn't look like that will happen anytime soon. Does anyone have suggestions for finding a 'Zoom teacher' (ugh). My local centers (MD-DC area) are doing some live casts, but I feel like it will be hard to get to know the teachers through that. And as long as it's virtual, my teacher doesn't need to be local.

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks so much, I'm excited.
Sam Gentile, modified 3 Years ago at 8/1/20 12:50 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 8/1/20 12:50 PM

RE: Finding a socially distant teacher

PM sent.
Z , modified 3 Years ago at 8/1/20 9:27 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 8/1/20 9:24 PM

Here are some names I've seen recommended in the past, could be a place to start. As far as I know, most of these people offer remote teaching. I know that Bhavana Society and Lion's Wisdom MC are in the MD/DC area, so that might be a place to start if you want something more local, though those organizations are of a more traditional Theravadan orientation. 

Ron Crouch

Emily and Vince Horn
Kenneth Folk
Hokai Sobol
Tucker Peck
Michael Taft
Nick Grabovac
Shaila Catherine
Shannon Stein
Dhammarato
Deep Mindfulness Collective
Alan Chapman
Iain, modified 3 Years ago at 8/2/20 6:09 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 8/2/20 6:09 AM

Thanks so much!
Aurora Schatzberg, modified 3 Years ago at 8/8/20 10:17 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 8/8/20 10:17 AM

Hi Iain,

Yuttadhammo Bhikkhu offers at-home meditation courses and retreats.  (I completed 2 such intensive retreats during the quarantine).  All courses and retreats are offered free of charge.  For courses you meet once a week on Skype if I recall correctly.  For retreats you meet daily for report and further instructions, you have to keep 8 precepts, etc.  You can find a lot of his treachings on YouTube if you want to check him out to see if you'd be interested.  Best wishes with your practice _/\_

https://meditation.sirimangalo.org/course (you may need to sign up and log in)
Martin, modified 3 Years ago at 11/1/20 12:46 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 11/1/20 12:46 AM

Zachary:
Here are some names I've seen recommended in the past, could be a place to start. As far as I know, most of these people offer remote teaching. I know that Bhavana Society and Lion's Wisdom MC are in the MD/DC area, so that might be a place to start if you want something more local, though those organizations are of a more traditional Theravadan orientation. 

Ron Crouch

Emily and Vince Horn
Kenneth Folk
Hokai Sobol
Tucker Peck
Michael Taft
Nick Grabovac
Shaila Catherine
Shannon Stein
Dhammarato
Deep Mindfulness Collective
Alan Chapman

Thanks for taking the time to put together this list, Zachary. I bookmarked it when you did and, after researching these teachers recently I got in contact with Nick Grabovac. He is very well qualified to teach, perceptive, approachable, and pragmatically oriented. He is the first person I have spoken to since my practice deepened last year who actually knew what I was talking about. The session with Nick was very helpful to me, so thanks for making it possible. 
thumbnail
Brandon Dayton, modified 3 Years ago at 3/14/21 1:37 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 3/14/21 1:37 PM

Since this thread is becoming the place where we curate lists of teachers I'll append these to the list:

Abre Fournier (My coach and as of this writing is coaching a few others on DhO)
Miles Bukiet
Peter Park
Deep Mindfulness
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 3 Years ago at 3/14/21 8:46 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 3/14/21 8:46 PM

Other teachers aligned with the prag dharm approach (may add more as I think of them): 
Jessica Graham - https://yourwildawakening.com/
Cedric Reeves - https://cedricreeves.com/
​​​​​​​Upali - https://upalimeditation.com/

Breadcrumb