Emerging Proud Video

thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 3 Years ago at 11/15/20 4:24 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 11/15/20 4:24 PM

Emerging Proud Video

I was lucky enough to have recently met Katie Mottram, and really appreciated this video she helped make. It is very relevant to what we help people with here, and those with meditative mapping skills will notice the obvious stages these people report.

May we all help raise awareness of this territory and support integrating it into mainstream knowledge so that more people are less blindsided by these sorts of events.

Best wishes,

Daniel
thumbnail
Angel Roberto Puente, modified 3 Years ago at 11/15/20 8:20 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 11/15/20 8:20 PM

RE: Emerging Proud Video

Thank you for this resource Daniel. I have had the privilege of working with psychiatric populations in a hospital, a prison for the criminally insane and in private settings. I have some knowledge of psychology because it was my major in college. I had already had spiritual experiences when I started college in 1969 and was disappointed to find that the outlook was toward abnormal psychology.  Everything was pathologized. When life put me in direct contact with the populations in psychiatric settings I realized that I knew from experience many of the conditions that got them there. The difference was that I wasn't freaked out by them. Grounded in awareness, in “serene reflection” I had just accepted them as a part of the stuff of mind and let them blow through.
     Reading the work of Arnold MIndell in the 90s, I understood that these experiences were common. In “Riding The Horse Backwards” he
says, “Native American tribes often spoke of a "Heyoka", a crazy-wisdom trickster figure who did everything differently. His horse went
forwards, for instance, but he rode it facing backward.” and concludes “The open heart says, more than anything else, "Go on, ride the horse
backwards. Let the impossible unfold." We've come a long way in understanding that the impossible will unfold with or without our cooperation. Better with it. Your effort in making this understood is appreciated.
thumbnail
Ni Nurta, modified 3 Years ago at 11/16/20 12:06 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 11/16/20 12:06 AM

Horses and oxes have their own intelligence and pair of eyes
A Dietrich Ringle, modified 3 Years ago at 11/16/20 2:40 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 11/16/20 2:40 PM

I am guessing that these people in tribes talk about riding backward for a very basic reason: there is no truth in any of their legends. Animals are not spiritual guides or anything other than just the curious creatures that they are. Sure, you can have a spiritual experience in survival or vision quest settings, but these are good ways of losing it. Not for the faint hearted.

More speifically there are teachings from some tribes that emphasize questioning literally everything with which your life comes into contact.

White Americans (which is what I am) who have opened themselves to shamanism could really use this. The road can be long and their are other guideposts from the east that might be helpful, but they are just that, guideposts.
thumbnail
Ni Nurta, modified 3 Years ago at 11/16/20 4:46 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 11/16/20 4:46 PM

There is much simpler explanation for riding horse backwards.
Awareness can point forward direction or backwards.
I described related stuff here https://www.dharmaoverground.org/discussion/-/message_boards/message/21544959
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 3 Years ago at 12/28/20 12:33 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 12/28/20 12:33 PM

Just finished watching this.  As you mentioned Daniel, I can identify all of the vipassana jhanas throughout.  One thing that felt missing to me, perhaps not surprisingly, was clear identification of path-fruit moments.  Or just a general focus on permanent traits rather than temporary states.  It felt to me like the interviewees were frequently identifying EQ as a trait, which I find to be concerning, since it would probably be best for them to know about Path.  But this is of course a wonderful step in the right direction.

Breadcrumb