Vegetarian/Vegan Theravada monasteries in Asia

Jonathan Saar, modified 3 Years ago at 2/24/21 1:38 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/24/21 1:38 AM

Vegetarian/Vegan Theravada monasteries in Asia

Hello,
I wish to ordain in a Theravada monastery, I have a lot of good experience in Mahasi style but also with other systems. My main practice monastery is Wat Chom Thong in north Thailand, that is great place for practice, but as I was born vegeterain and became vegan many yeas ago. I find it difficult to stay in a place that its diet based much on animal products. I am looking for other good places to ordain, preferbley in Thailand but otherwise any other place in Asia that has a serious practice and also respect for nature and animals. If anybody has as well good experience of monasteries in Europe or other places in the westerd world I will be also very happy to hear your experience.
thumbnail
Noah D, modified 3 Years ago at 2/24/21 1:45 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/24/21 1:45 PM

RE: Vegetarian/Vegan Theravada monasteries in Asia

Here are some resources to review.  
https://placestomeditate.wordpress.com/
Wolf's Guide to Dharma Retreats & Teachings - Google Docs
Jonathan Saar, modified 3 Years ago at 2/24/21 10:53 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/24/21 10:53 PM

Thank you very much Mike and Noah, you gave me  both very useful information. 
Jonathan Saar, modified 3 Years ago at 2/24/21 11:05 PM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/24/21 11:05 PM

by the way. I was told by some of teachers that the practice involved Jhana in Mayanamar is good, but it always come with caution not to be trapped by the Jhana states. My mahasi states usually recommend to return to notting and not to develop the practice into absorption into Jhanas. However from my own personal experience in the yogic tradition, I feel that developement of Jhana can be useful as long as it is only a stage in the practice
Jonathan Saar, modified 3 Years ago at 2/25/21 5:56 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/25/21 5:56 AM

Thanks Mike, I defently hope to reach Srilanka after the Pandemic is over, I heard that there are good places for practice there. who are Bhikku Bodhi and Bhiku Analyo? Do you know their mail address or how to contact them?
Jonathan Saar, modified 3 Years ago at 2/25/21 8:18 AM
Created 3 Years ago at 2/25/21 8:18 AM

Thank you
Eudoxos , modified 2 Years ago at 6/8/21 12:55 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/8/21 12:55 AM

Were you eating in the monk section in Wat Chom Tong? I've been in the International Center there many times and the non-monk cantine (for mae-chis, farang yogis from the Thai section and all international center yogis) always served both meat and vegetarian food (which I found good).
thumbnail
Ben V, modified 2 Years ago at 6/8/21 7:22 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/8/21 7:22 AM

The center I used to do my retreats here in Canada, Pannarama meditation center, were from Vietnamese Theravada monks and nuns, and was vegetarian. Although the center is not much active anymore (even so before Covid crisis), they are loosely associated with the Thatagatha Meditation Center in San Jose, who also serve vegetarian and, I think, vegan meals. 

I've noticed that Vietnamese Theravada monastics tend to be Vegetarian (perhaps from the larger influence of Mahayana in this country), so you may want to take a look at Theravada centers in Vietnam.

Breadcrumb