if you want brain tricks go take drugs

if you want brain tricks go take drugs shalomdukvpsiyaniyna yiklaknauikpo 5/3/21 8:29 AM
RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs J W 5/3/21 12:19 PM
RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs shalomdukvpsiyaniyna yiklaknauikpo 5/4/21 5:25 AM
RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs J W 5/4/21 11:33 AM
RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs Not two, not one 5/3/21 9:18 PM
RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs shalomdukvpsiyaniyna yiklaknauikpo 5/4/21 5:23 AM
RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs Emil Jensen 5/4/21 5:25 AM
RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs shalomdukvpsiyaniyna yiklaknauikpo 5/4/21 5:30 AM
RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs Ni Nurta 5/4/21 5:40 AM
RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs Emil Jensen 5/4/21 5:49 AM
RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs Josef C 5/4/21 6:11 AM
RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs shalomdukvpsiyaniyna yiklaknauikpo 5/4/21 12:07 PM
RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs shalomdukvpsiyaniyna yiklaknauikpo 5/4/21 12:10 PM
RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs J W 5/4/21 2:16 PM
RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö 5/4/21 5:42 PM
RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs Ni Nurta 5/5/21 2:41 AM
RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö 5/5/21 3:58 AM
RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö 5/4/21 5:59 PM
RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs Jim Smith 5/4/21 10:51 PM
RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö 5/5/21 3:31 AM
RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs shalomdukvpsiyaniyna yiklaknauikpo 5/5/21 6:11 AM
RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs Ni Nurta 5/5/21 9:18 AM
RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs J W 5/5/21 9:28 AM
RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs Ni Nurta 5/5/21 12:31 PM
RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs J W 5/5/21 9:42 PM
RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs Papa Che Dusko 5/5/21 1:25 PM
RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs shalomdukvpsiyaniyna yiklaknauikpo 5/6/21 5:57 AM
RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs shalomdukvpsiyaniyna yiklaknauikpo 5/6/21 5:58 AM
RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs Angel Roberto Puente 5/6/21 1:04 PM
RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs Laurel Carrington 5/6/21 7:20 PM
RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs David S 9/7/21 6:02 PM
RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs Chris M 9/8/21 6:47 AM
RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö 9/20/21 8:16 PM
RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs J W 9/21/21 5:36 AM
RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö 9/21/21 5:46 AM
RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs Chris M 9/21/21 6:13 AM
RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö 9/21/21 9:56 AM
shalomdukvpsiyaniyna yiklaknauikpo, modified 2 Years ago at 5/3/21 8:29 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/3/21 8:29 AM

if you want brain tricks go take drugs

all is in the title
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 5/3/21 12:19 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/3/21 12:19 PM

RE: if you want brain tricks go take drugs

I do somewhat agree that if all you want from practice is to enter into cool/trippy mind states like formless realms, etc, psychedelics can probably get you there.  But I wouldn't recommend them to everyone because there is risk involved.

But what if you want more than just trippy mind states from practice?

As far as Daniel being my 'guru', not sure I feel you on that one.  Hell of a guy though.
Of course, you're welcome to feel however you want about him.

Be well!
thumbnail
Not two, not one, modified 2 Years ago at 5/3/21 9:18 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/3/21 9:17 PM

shalomdukvpsiyaniyna yiklaknauikpo, modified 2 Years ago at 5/4/21 5:23 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/4/21 5:23 AM

mctb is a new age cult
shalomdukvpsiyaniyna yiklaknauikpo, modified 2 Years ago at 5/4/21 5:25 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/4/21 5:25 AM

psychedelics are extremely safe.
​​​​​​​curb your anti drug propaganda
Emil Jensen, modified 2 Years ago at 5/4/21 5:25 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/4/21 5:25 AM

I didn't know this was a cult.. but hey, we have cookies! And some of us make really, really strong drinks!
shalomdukvpsiyaniyna yiklaknauikpo, modified 2 Years ago at 5/4/21 5:30 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/4/21 5:30 AM

Emil Jensen
I didn't know this was a cult..

this is what cult members say
thumbnail
Ni Nurta, modified 2 Years ago at 5/4/21 5:40 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/4/21 5:40 AM

cult needs object of cult
we do not have any objects because we see all objects as empty and devoid of inherent existence

checkmate emoticon
Emil Jensen, modified 2 Years ago at 5/4/21 5:49 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/4/21 5:49 AM

"this is what cult members say"
Hey man, I'm OK with whatever this is. Cult or no cult lol. I would be surprised if that really would be the description tho.. Not that I would give a single @!*%...

But I replied because I feel that maybe you're more after a reaction, than labelling groups correctly or pointing out to them that there are labels they're not aware of. I mean, it seems pretty obvious that you're not just sharing information here.

So what are you after, shalomdukvpsiyaniyna?
Just some attention? Or perhaps we can help you with your practice in some ways? That is, after all, what this "cult" mainly does.
thumbnail
Josef C, modified 2 Years ago at 5/4/21 6:11 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/4/21 6:01 AM

If any moderator sees this thread I hope they go look into warning and maybe banning   shalomdukvpsiyaniyna yiklaknauikpo .  He/She has made homophobic statements and  has engaged with name calling .  He/She doesnt want to engage with normal conversation and looks like an edgelord who  according to his/her own words experienced "ego death "  but his/her actions speak otherwise. I mean if you want shitposting I can say that"  you think  that you have achieved ego death but  you sound like a memelord who thinks that by posting shitposts he is so above other people , smart and dispensing crazy wisdom like Trungpa  but just ending up sounding more crazy rather than having wisdom  " but I would rather not . 
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 5/4/21 11:33 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/4/21 11:32 AM

Lol. I love psychedelics, do them all the time. They've been great for me and I think many could indeed benefit from them.

At the same time, I've had some horrible experiences with them. Did them when I was a teenager, spent a couple of years at nervous breakdown-level psychosis as a result of lack of education and lack of experience in my LSD consumption. 

These days, I do mushrooms probably 3-4 times a year, acid, etc, more occasionally.  I also meditate 2 hours a day, no psyches.  Love it.

Anyway, what's going on with you... did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed or something?
shalomdukvpsiyaniyna yiklaknauikpo, modified 2 Years ago at 5/4/21 12:07 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/4/21 12:07 PM

surely ego deaths "experiencers" must be wow cool metta enlightened with cringy smile and wub wub let me wish you infinite bliss me high level metta being
shalomdukvpsiyaniyna yiklaknauikpo, modified 2 Years ago at 5/4/21 12:10 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/4/21 12:10 PM

nobody can achieve ego death and it's not a thing that can be achieved.
​​​​​​

I hope this makes me look buddha-dharma-edgycool
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 5/4/21 2:16 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/4/21 2:06 PM

Buddha-dharma-edgycool bro starter pack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5XnFAcjAJY
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 2 Years ago at 5/4/21 5:42 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/4/21 5:42 PM

I'm a moderator here and I agree that homophobic slurs are unacceptable. The reason that I didn't interfere at first was that it's so obvious that the person expressing themself with homophobic slurs is being an ass and struggles with reactivity issues. I sort of took it for granted that nobody would take them seriously. I'm sorry. I have now deleted the homophobic slurs. I won't tolerate any more oppressive slurs. Expressing criticism is allowed, and substantial matter-of-fact arguments are encouraged, but repeated spamming without substance is just a waste of time and space and will eventually lead to banning. Further oppressive slurs will lead to immediate banning. 
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 2 Years ago at 5/4/21 5:59 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/4/21 5:59 PM

By the way, J W, I loved your reply. It made me feel so grateful for this community and I didn't want to ruin it by stepping in, but now I did. 
thumbnail
Jim Smith, modified 2 Years ago at 5/4/21 10:51 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/4/21 10:50 PM

I don't think you are helping anyone by suggesting they take drugs. (Well, you might be helping the illegal drug gangs who are engaged in all sorts of other harmful deeds.)

In my opinion, if people want brain tricks, they should practice meditation, they don't need drugs.

If people want awakening, they should watch the mind and observe the arising of dukkha and the cessation of dukkha in their own mind.

Meditation can help achieve awakening by quieting the mind so you can be mindful to observe the mind in meditation and in daily life. Meditation can also help by elevating your mood so that you are more open to seeing the origin of dukkha in an unbiased manner.
thumbnail
Ni Nurta, modified 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 2:41 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 2:40 AM

Strange and unexpected decission on your part.
Which leads me to conclusion that like pretty much everything else in Liferay7 the ...

ban button is not working XD
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 3:31 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 3:31 AM

Jim Smith:
If people want awakening, they should watch the mind and observe the arising of dukkha and the cessation of dukkha in their own mind.

That is exactly what many of us refer to as meditation.
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 3:58 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 3:58 AM

Ban button works. In my experience, banning often provokes reactive people to start a new account. Not reacting back is more effective. I think we can live with some random asshat telling us that we are losers. Big deal. However, oppressive language targeting discriminated groups won't be tolerated. Chris may have a different opinion, but this is my position. This random person has no power over me so I see no reason to exert power - apart from removing oppressive slurs, as those have no place here. I'm thinking that energy could be better spent than by being a jerk, AND energy can be better spent than by getting upset because someone is being a jerk. If we find that we suffer because someone is rude, that's a good pointer as to what we need to work with in our practice. Oppression is different, because that is part of a larger system that legitimizes other stuff. 
shalomdukvpsiyaniyna yiklaknauikpo, modified 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 6:11 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 6:11 AM

Jim Smith
I don't think you are helping anyone by suggesting they take drugs. (Well, you might be helping the illegal drug gangs who are engaged in all sorts of other harmful deeds.)

mk-ultra certified.

​​​​​​​the rest of your rant is advising egocentric practice
thumbnail
Ni Nurta, modified 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 9:18 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 9:17 AM

I wonder why what shalashjkaasafjkjkaahsksdaihjaidsajhidkhjadshkjads said is called here as homophobic slur and not just offensive/vulgar language.
I mean just do simple analysis of this situation and say if 'homophobic' the most appropiate term that should be used. Spin the rusted gears people!

thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 9:28 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 9:27 AM

@Linda - aww, thanks. I don't think you ruined anything. This is not a bad topic to talk about, though I don't get OP's attitude, and it can and should be done without the use of homophobic slurs.

@Ni - you do realize that there was only one word deleted from OP's slur, right?  I'm not sure what your understanding of the word that was deleted is, because you seem to sort of make up your own meanings for things, but in my book that word is derrogatory against gay people (especially gay men), which is why it's considered homophobic.
thumbnail
Ni Nurta, modified 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 12:31 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 12:30 PM

@J W
I said there is hidden derogatory meaning to this whole situation and you attack me suggesting I do not know meaning to f word which shall not be spelled... WTF man? emoticon
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 1:25 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 1:24 PM

Best wishes to you all dear beings of the 6 Realms emoticon emoticon xxx 

... round and round and round it turns ... tralala tra la laaa ... 
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 9:42 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 9:42 PM

I'm sorry Ni, I think I misunderstood... my apologies emoticon
shalomdukvpsiyaniyna yiklaknauikpo, modified 2 Years ago at 5/6/21 5:57 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/6/21 5:57 AM

Papa Che Dusko

curb your metta egotrip
shalomdukvpsiyaniyna yiklaknauikpo, modified 2 Years ago at 5/6/21 5:58 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/6/21 5:58 AM

Papa Che Dusko

​​​​​​​curb your metta egotrip
thumbnail
Angel Roberto Puente, modified 2 Years ago at 5/6/21 1:04 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/6/21 12:40 PM

I didn't know there was a category for trolling. I've been wasting my time posting on this forum. Thank you for leading the way, Mr. Alphabet.
thumbnail
Laurel Carrington, modified 2 Years ago at 5/6/21 7:20 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/6/21 7:20 PM

Experience has shown that when posts like these are allowed to continue unchecked the quality of the entire forum suffers. Far from promoting discussion of a wide variety of viewpoints, trolling stifles discussion and drives out people who are serious about their practice. 

If the OP has a problem with Daniel--say, thinks he is on an ego-trip--let him say so without resorting to cheap insults, and let him present some modicum of evidence. Better yet, let him find more important subject matter than someone's personality. I believe OP should be banned for that second post. My opinion. 
David S, modified 2 Years ago at 9/7/21 6:02 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/7/21 6:01 PM

As a gay man, I think the poster should be banned because their language is highly offensive and derogatory in their second posting.

I also think banning should have time limits attached, so the poster is given the chance to reflect on their behaviour and change it. I've seen on Stack Exchange this sort of time limited banning.

Linda, is this possible with this site's service?
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 2 Years ago at 9/8/21 6:47 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/8/21 6:47 AM

I deleted the second post. It was, indeed, egregious.

Locking out (banning) posters on DhO is a manual process. I've locked a few folks out and then after a while let them back in, with a warning. There is no automatic timer that can be applied to the process.

Chris Marti
DhO Moderator
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 2 Years ago at 9/20/21 8:16 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/20/21 8:16 PM

Laurel Carrington
Experience has shown that when posts like these are allowed to continue unchecked the quality of the entire forum suffers. Far from promoting discussion of a wide variety of viewpoints, trolling stifles discussion and drives out people who are serious about their practice. 

If the OP has a problem with Daniel--say, thinks he is on an ego-trip--let him say so without resorting to cheap insults, and let him present some modicum of evidence. Better yet, let him find more important subject matter than someone's personality. I believe OP should be banned for that second post. My opinion. 

Whose experience? My experience says otherwise. In my experience, posts like that are seeking to provoke people into getting upset, and when nobody gets upset, they stop. The problem is that it only takes one slightly reactive reply to feed the trolling. I have admined a forum where trolls took off because nobody engaged with them. They didn't come back, because they were completely powerless. So if everyone is on board with that strategy, it is incredibly effective in my experience. 

I don't have any problem with Chris's decision, though. It's not like there was any substantial reasoning there that anyone will miss. And apparently, not everyone is on board with my strategy. That's okay. 
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 9/21/21 5:36 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/21/21 3:59 AM

Hey Linda & Laurel, thank you as always for your work in keeping this a very high quality forum. It is no easy task this day and age.

Linda - regarding the strategy of 'don't feed the trolls'. Though it may work in some cases, unfortunately I do not know if this always works. Trolls are just as likely to escalate and further harrass than go away, if they are ignored.  Banning them, however, does always work.

I don't want to claim to have the answers, but I do think that internet trolling can have a significant negative impact on both individuals and on internet communities.  Here are a few articles that might be relevant regarding how to deal with trolls:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/12/17561768/dont-feed-the-trolls-online-harassment-abuse
https://mashable.com/article/should-i-respond-to-trolls
https://www.dailydot.com/unclick/phillips-dont-feed-trolls-antisocial-web/web/
​​​​​​​https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/04/hungry-hungry-trolls/478548/
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 2 Years ago at 9/21/21 5:46 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/21/21 5:38 AM

You may very well be right. Maybe the cases I have seen are unusual. And homophobic slurs and other oppressive moves are definitely not acceptable. I would not want to contribute to the already far too widely spread normalization of oppressive hate speech. I just found that the forum where my strategy worked gave me hope about humanity.

One example: 
By using carrots instead of sticks, I managed to make a formerly aggressive and super-stubborn hater to forget about the hating and instead write about how he was creating a mini-paradise for his hamster, and about art and healthy diets and his loneliness. Nobody ever responded to the hate stuff, but I responded positively to the small fragments of something more human, and the transformation was amazing. Unfortunately, he probably realized that he had shown some human vulnerability and was uncomfortable with that. He disappeared and never came back. Before that, he had been banned dozens of times and started new accounts. I still wonder where he went, and if he's a lost case or if he has found a way to learn that showing vulnerability is not so bad. 

I have appreciated forums with very strict rules too, though. I find that different policies fill different functions, and that it's probably a good thing that there's a variety of approaches to make human interaction less hostile. 

Edited to clarify: At the forum I described, we always instantly removed oppressive slurs to make clear that we had zero tolerance with them. We just didn't give it any attention at all except for that. Normalization is a real danger in my opinion. 
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 2 Years ago at 9/21/21 6:13 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/21/21 6:13 AM

In my message board hosting experience (~1995 to present) 99% of trolls aren't worth the time it takes to tame and train. I deleted what was a very nasty comment that didn't deserve to be left up, and I'm sorry I missed it when it was posted.
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 2 Years ago at 9/21/21 9:56 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 9/21/21 9:51 AM

I respect your take on it. I just want to add that for me it was never a question of making effort to tame anyone. I just did what came naturally to me. I guess it was the most cost-effective solution for me, and on that forum it was no problem for the others either. We were probably a weird bunch. A subset of the Swedish autistic population. But the guy with the hamster was a diagnosed sociopath, and it worked on him. 

Breadcrumb