RE: DhO Collab Band No.2 J W 8/20/21 8:35 AM
RE: DhO Collab Band No.2 Papa Che Dusko 8/20/21 10:06 AM
RE: DhO Collab Band No.2 J W 8/20/21 3:52 PM
RE: DhO Collab Band No.2 Papa Che Dusko 8/21/21 8:35 AM
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 5/9/21 7:40 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/4/21 4:20 PM

DhO Collab Band No.2

Starting a new thread as the first one is getting long. Here you can find the link to all our finished collabs so far; https://soundcloud.com/papa-dusko/sets/dharma-overground-band

Im working on Tim's new 'The Bar(do) of Last Resort No.2' song/lyrics and I kind of got to the point of creating a few ideas but they vanished thanks to Anicca. Then this one came along and I knew it "This Is It!!!" I can hear it as a narrative! I need someone to speak these words and who better than Tim him modda effing self!!! emoticon Yes, love you voice mate! This link is for download so all you do is record your voice separately so I can give it a bit EQing later. 

This song might be too long as is but i can always cut it shorter. As long you talk so it kind of fits the grooving freestyle rhythm we will be just fine. You still have the lyrics i hope?! 

So you want to do this Tim me matey?! emoticon Ya, Nay, Ya, Nay, wtf of course YAAAAA! emoticon Here is the link to the song idea (btw, I actually played those percusions) emoticon 
https://soundcloud.com/papa-dusko/the-bardo-of-last-resort-no-2
Tim Farrington, modified 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 3:47 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 3:47 AM

RE: DhO Collab Band No.2

hell, yes, che! 
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 4:30 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 4:30 AM

emoticon See what you can do. Its ok if its recorded into a walkman for that Lo-fi effect. As long you can send it to me as a separate file we are in the game! Im also working on it right now and trying to figure out a more avant-garde vocal approach ... but its not easy to make it sound good. However I will upload it just in case it might spark some inspiration for your take emoticon Singing not required but rather finding that tone of voice, that maybe disqusted facial expression while uttering the words ... etc ... Not sure, just brain storming here!

Leave some space between each verse so I can sing some siren like sound there.

Here is the new take with me narrating in a certain way through some effects (overdrive, delay, reverb). I can add effects to your voice later in the DAW so no worries there.
https://soundcloud.com/papa-dusko/bar-of-last-resort-2-with-che-vocals
Tim Farrington, modified 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 5:23 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 5:23 AM

wow, this is haunting and suffused with a kind of urgency, but in a sustained way. Fantastic. I did send you an audio file via email, but I actually find your voice better already, lol. 
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 8:44 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 8:44 AM

Got it! Thanks Tim! Will try mix up something tonight. Work in progress of tonal insight emoticon 
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 4:06 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 4:06 PM

Here is the result after EQing and rearranging, leveling etc ... I think it works well in this "poetry reading" format. 
https://soundcloud.com/papa-dusko/the-bardo-of-last-resort-no2-tim-voice-eq
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 5/6/21 2:36 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/6/21 2:36 AM

The sections inbetween the stanzas need some kick in the ars me thinks emoticon maybe some keybaording work? Do we have a synth player interested in maybe creating something that can wake us up a bit in this tune and yet not be too overwhelming.

​​​​​​​JW, Emil, GOD? Anyone?

I could try some guitar riff but I would much prefer collab in form of more people being involved. 
Emil Jensen, modified 2 Years ago at 5/6/21 3:09 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/6/21 3:09 AM

I think this is really cool!
Is that Tim's voice? Why the fuck can't we take more advantage of that. It's almost like.. Alan Watts?.. not to draw comparisons, I don't know if you like that dude. But yeah, in the way that it's just a voice that you wanna listen to. A voice that fucking knows. Very cool.
And the instrumentals.. Like wtf? Is this..."bar" an underworldly dungeon of fucking misery and torment? I guess that sort of is what the bar(do) of last resort has been presented as! A resort one can go to when the night gets dark and murky. And when the way you deal with it is just to light up that fucking cigarette, join the misery, fuck the misery, and just fucking accept that those hookers do smell, the booze does taste like shit, but you're left just wanting more and there's nothing to do but to just hang out in this place and take the punches.

That's the vibe I'm getting! And I like it!

If you want me to, I could have a word with God one of the coming days, see if he cares to spit some spunk in the pool.
I am needing something, tbh. It's like the hole song builds up to something that never comes. Perhaps that is just it.
I mean, I rarely listen to anything that makes me feel like I did, and that strongly! Is it perfect already? Hmmm..
​​​​​​​

Tim Farrington, modified 2 Years ago at 5/6/21 3:41 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/6/21 3:41 AM

wow, che, as a poetry reading, this is a poet's fantasy come true, of course, so of course I love it and am awed and grateful. And it is fun as hell. But I think we can do better than my prose voice, with our wealth of actual singers. JW singing like Leonard Cohen, two octaves higher, Emil surprising us with another perfect voice from his apparently vast range, or you singing from your spot under the table, making every word truer.  Maybe we could even add one voice per verse or something, and use the poet's flat initial voice like  the first drumbeat in a building jam.

I wrote a draft of a chorus, so maybe we can give a kick in the arse to the tempo with that and use it as a bridge, too? sending it by email.

Tim Farrington, modified 2 Years ago at 5/6/21 4:07 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/6/21 4:07 AM

Oh, hey, emil, welcome to the party! You posted while I was writing a shot at a chorus, which is also an effort toward the "something" you're feeling it needs (che was feeling it too, even at the pure musical level).

chorus:
And the barstools are filled with pilgrims
whose shrines have turned to dust.
Our idols are all tarnished,
and melting into into rust,
and our certainties are ashes now,
they’ve been taken by the flame:
So raise a glass, my friends, and toast
the truth without a name.

Maybe we can use this to give the song some different texture, but I think it might also nod toward whatever affirmation can be articulated in the Bar(do), lol. The Last Resort joint IS "an underworldly dungeon of fucking misery and torment", but it is more, as we know, and you're right that we need to hit that note somehow (the photon in the black room, mon ami!). At least now we get the glasses up in the air! A dreary drunken hallelujah, maybe, but i am a grim bastard. It's why you're so great, for me--- think of the soaring sermon in The House on "From Where I Sit". That was your energy, which I delight in riding. I can do the whirlpool spiraling into the abyss, but you're a wave generator. And we all know surfing is way more fun than merely drowning.

And you know how much a song can change, in our process, lol. This thing could be sweetness and light by the time our wrecking crew has worked things out to a good creative dead end! Glad you've jumped in. Now you're fucked! I'm certainly looking forward to whatever comes of your next conversation with God.
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 5/6/21 5:40 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/6/21 5:38 AM

Emil you are welcome to chime in. In case we only go with keyboard stuff then try maybe to create unik and different textures or melodies between Tim's narrative. 
Or have a crack at Tim's new Chorus but not after each verse. Maybe have it after the first. Then after second some fine synth sounds then chorus after the 3rd verse and finish with synth after the 4th. Or something like that. So we don't fill the space with too much talking. Have a crack at it and see what comes up. Record and upload your parts separately please so I can EQ the lot  emoticon xxx 

Btw, we keep Tim's voice it's perfect! 
Emil Jensen, modified 2 Years ago at 5/6/21 8:19 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/6/21 8:19 AM

"It's why you're so great, for me--- think of the soaring sermon in The House on "From Where I Sit". That was your energy, which I delight in riding. I can do the whirlpool spiraling into the abyss, but you're a wave generator. And we all know surfing is way more fun than merely drowning."

Nice compliment! I love surfing! I feel like I do nothing else but surfing these days. At least it's been a while since I hung out in a place like the bar(do) of last resort. But I love going in there every now and then and just smashing a few things, cleaning up the kitchen, getting raped by a few entities, see if the creatures in the shadows actually wanna fight when you chase them down and ask for it. Usually they don't but the thrill is entertaining.

I don't know when/if I'll jump on this one. I've been heavily into my work lately, or practicing Right Livelihood as Tim put it, lol. I feel that my focus is elsewhere and even in the weekends I like to just kick back and get some fresh air. 
thumbnail
sarah elizabeth, modified 2 Years ago at 5/6/21 9:20 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/6/21 9:20 AM

Hi, all!  My first, maybe last, contribution to DhO, but I've been lurking in the Bardo for awhile now. I drink very strong, sweet, creamy coffee in obscene quantities, so I'm a little jumpy. Also--regrettably--perpetually sober.
I just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed following this group's progress. You music is made of aching, lonely loveliness, a rich tapestry of your collective hearts & talents. I am a fan, a huge one; maybe you can see my lighter's flame, burning in the dark, unknowable psychic auditorium of our breathing hearts. 
What I mean to say is: thank you for it all, every note, every word. 
Also, Tim's voice really is perfect. 
Shalom, friends. ♥️
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 5/6/21 9:51 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/6/21 9:51 AM

"I don't know when/if I'll jump on this one. I've been heavily into my work lately, or practicing Right Livelihood"

Oh I see! In that case fuck you Emil! emoticon enjoy your right livelihood! emoticon 

Seems we need a keyboard player who doesn't have a right livelihood!!! Anyone?! JW? GOD? 
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 5/6/21 10:20 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/6/21 10:20 AM

Lovely to have you around Sarah emoticon 
I enjoy your words so please stick around. Don't make it your last contribution! There is DhO and then there The Bar(do) of Last Resort passing through DhO, like an invincible train track which never ends! I think it goes in circles but please don't tell any one emoticon 
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 5/6/21 3:31 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/6/21 3:31 PM

Ok here is the next new version (god knows how many more will we come up with) I can understand Tim felt a bit "naked" in the older version. Exposed infront of the far away background ambience. emoticon Ok, I've got your back now! I've joined you in the front with my lead guitar. I've had this old riff waiting to find home and I think it did now. Have a few listens and note I have changed stuff with the lyrics; 2 x verse then Chorus, and again 2xVerse then Chorus
https://soundcloud.com/papa-dusko/the-bar-of-last-resort-no2-tim-voice-che-guitar
thumbnail
sarah elizabeth, modified 2 Years ago at 5/7/21 1:49 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/7/21 1:49 AM

Thank you for your words of welcome, Papa Che, you are very kind.  ♥️ I was a little overcome yesterday when I heard the latest incarnation of "The Bardo, #2," so forgive my excessive metaphors & enthusiastic typos, I just couldn't help myself!  I am grateful to hop the Bar(do) train which never ends!  

Your guitar is fantastic in this latest rendition--it adds cosmic shimmy! I did love the original bleak version too, though. Alas, I leave the music making to you geniuses! In the end, it will be whatever it's meant to be.  ♥️

​​​​​​​You guys are the best! Carry on!  
Tim Farrington, modified 2 Years ago at 5/7/21 2:56 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/7/21 2:56 AM

Love the guitar's musings! It gives the thing a mideastern feeling somehow, hints of ancient stringed instruments. Beautiful, Che!

​​​​​​​Welcome Sarah! and thank you for your kind words!
genaro, modified 2 Years ago at 5/7/21 4:47 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/7/21 4:47 AM

to me the treble was a bit loud and i had to struggle to hear the wurdz. (might be my latop interfereing maybe)

but what ever, here's a sample of what really gets me grooving, i call it tibetan death sounds music, although the critics have different opinions.

https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-culling-is-coming-mw0000374960
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 5/7/21 5:44 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/7/21 5:43 AM

Yes the recording quality is not top notch California Studio style emoticon We do our best with what we have. Yes the vocals are struggling a bit and some words end's kind of are disappearing emoticon Anicca in action! 

Hm, on laptop yes could be a bit trebly but not into my studio headphones or other two kind of speakers I tried. Sure thing not bass heavy either. 

Btw, I can not play that link of yours! I do y have Apple Music app. Any other link to same album? I would love to hear it! 
genaro, modified 2 Years ago at 5/7/21 6:57 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/7/21 6:56 AM

it's a web page: there's a list of tracks, i just clicked on the play button on the left of one and sound came out. (i'm using brave, which is a fork of chrome).

I have the vinyl of course, i just  searched for the album, you could also search for '23 skidoo' (the band) and that was the first page i could find with audio available.

just tried it on firefox, it works on that too.
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 5/7/21 8:06 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/7/21 8:06 AM

Found it on you tube land! 

emoticon woah emoticon that music sure is only for the strong! emoticon 

Interesting it is but not entirely my cup of tea. I need a bit of melody to be involved. 
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 5/7/21 8:41 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/7/21 8:40 AM

Thanks to your comment I went into the DAW again and sure thing, I've cut too much low end and boosted way too much treble on Tim's vocals. Now I hope it's fixed and one should be able to hear his words ring out straight and true emoticon 

Will upload the edited version later today. 

Thanks for your honest opinion! emoticon 
genaro, modified 2 Years ago at 5/7/21 10:40 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/7/21 10:39 AM

yes a bit off piste for most people, but you could try seven songs or urban gamelan which are both a bit more approachable and have some melody.  the gamelan one, yes you guessed it, is more rythmic  and drummmy
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 5/7/21 2:34 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/7/21 2:32 PM

Ok here is the final EQed version with lots of low end back in Tim's voice and with extra bass boosted in the entire song. Now I can hear Tim's words very good. Now lets go have a drink and a cigarette! https://soundcloud.com/papa-dusko/the-bar-of-last-resort-no2-final-eq
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 5/7/21 3:14 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/7/21 3:13 PM

"Seems we need a keyboard player who doesn't have a right livelihood!!! Anyone?! JW? "

Ah, I would love to get involved but life's been getting in the way lately, I don't think i'll be able to get anything recorded until later this month. But count me in for sure once things get a little more settled for me!

By the way I love what you guys did on this one Che & Tim, it's really vibing.
Tim Farrington, modified 2 Years ago at 5/9/21 1:47 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/9/21 1:47 AM

Wow, I love this, Che. What a beautiful piece of work. Thanks for the ride, the smokes and drinks are on me.
thumbnail
Smiling Stone, modified 2 Years ago at 5/9/21 2:33 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/9/21 2:32 AM

Hey guys !
I just listened to this and really enjoyed it... nice doomsday vibe and good work on the instrumental part (too happy's not for me). I love Tim's voice of course...
As I missed the last few, I also listened to "From where I sit" and loved it (that's Emil singing?). Wondering if anyone was in Current 93, because there is this familiar feeling... I know I already posted some links to them on other threads... check them, that's a good soundtrack for the Bar of Last Resort on a rainy evening... as well.
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 5/9/21 3:04 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/9/21 3:03 AM

JW emoticon no rush. Whenever you're ready, we will plunge together into the dark pit of creativity emoticon 
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 5/9/21 3:07 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/9/21 3:07 AM

Hi SS! 

Yes Emil singing on that song indeed! 

Glad you like what's happening here. Mostly harmless stuff we do in here emoticon 

Will check that link when I get time for headphones. 

Thanjs for joining in! 
genaro, modified 2 Years ago at 5/9/21 7:30 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/9/21 7:29 AM

smiling stone... interesting that you mention current 93.

I posted about 23 skiddo/ the culling is coming as i heard a vibe of that in the percussion.  Hey, Papa Che liked it!

However i do have one of dave tibet's/ current 93 albums 'maldoror' which you can find in the link you posted (white cover with decals) and i have these two special pieces linked in my mind, so yes you picked up on the same vibe that i did.

I said 'tibetan death sounds music', but maybe 'Bardo Rock' or perhaps 're-observation sonata' might be more amenable?

'the culling is coming' of course had Dave tibet guesting, and yes he blows his own tibetan thigh bone trumpet to great affect.

Maldoror ... well at the time i heard about it via radio, went to my local obscurities record shop (rough trade, they knew me...)  and asked for that specific disc. It was on the counter, Dave himslef had just visited and persuaded them to take one copy, which i fairly  swiftly paid for.

The disc itself, if you look at the image on that link you posted has a couple of semicircular designs on the RHS. My copy, that was a page of the christian bible pasted over the cover, so to listen to the record you had to cut this with your fingernail to get the record out.  Honest, i thought nothing of this, but someone mentioned 'sacrelidge', and i thought 'oh!'.  Me i'm not a christian so it never occured to me, after all it's a bit of paper with words on it, and there's plenty of other copies available, so big deal ;-).

Having done that the central lable, with a nice tibetan style dorje thing design had no hole in the middle, so to listen to it you had to take it's virginity. Sweet!

Now it's time for me to listen to the DhO re-edit...
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 5/19/21 2:18 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/19/21 2:18 AM

Had a few people complaining that they cant hear Tim's words so I plunged back into the Bar(do) to figure out the final EQ but Anicca kept ripping me a huge hole again and again until we had this here Dhamma baby as a result. Im exhausted ... I give up ... I cant anymore ... this one is what it is. Please tell me that you (all of you) CAN hear Tim's words on your devices emoticon I know some words are maybe a bit tricky to hear but thats ok. As long most is easy to hear. Thank you!
https://soundcloud.com/papa-dusko/the-bardo-of-last-resort-no2-enhanced-vocals
thumbnail
Smiling Stone, modified 2 Years ago at 5/20/21 2:10 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/20/21 2:10 PM

Hey Genaro,

I wanted to say something about 23 Skidoo and I forgot: I listened to that wen I was around 16, my friend had a lp (I would not remember the title, but it was early stuff!).
Thank you for sharing that nostalgic bit of true fetichistic vinyl galore. I could picture you (I mean, me!) tiering apart the scriptures, piercing the thing with a sense of awe and sacrilege, well finding an object truly inhabitated by the soul of its creator. I guess I gave a couple of links about Tibet in the Bar of last Resort, somewhere...
Anyway, nice to find another freak around here (like there is a shortage on dho!)
with metta
smiling stone
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 8/19/21 6:35 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/19/21 6:35 AM

Managed to simplify my old Samsara riff which was in that odd 13/7 time signature (or similar) and now its in 3/4 and kept that same feel , which was important to me so it feels flowing.

Im thinking about lyrics ...something to do with Samsara and Tonglen ... not sure ... I suck at lyrics. Maybe its ok if its just an instrumental? Maybe it could have less low end in the bass? Maybe needs some keybaords? Egg shaker? 

https://soundcloud.com/papa-dusko/samsara-tonglen
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 8/19/21 8:20 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/19/21 8:20 AM

Hey I like that a lot! I can put some keyboards on it for sure. Very Pink Floyd sounding
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 8/19/21 9:16 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/19/21 9:16 AM

Glad you like it JW! I will make it for download on Soundcloud now ... 
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 8/19/21 9:20 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/19/21 9:20 AM

Funny you mention Floyd as I used Binson Echorec (emulation) on that ambient part emoticon 
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 8/20/21 5:48 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/20/21 5:48 AM

Hey, took a couple passes at it, lemme know what you think -- forgive my indulgence at the end there hehe:

https://soundcloud.com/clendn2000/tonglen
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 8/20/21 6:26 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/20/21 6:26 AM

JW can you upload only your synth part so I can work on the EQing of the entire track and even take out some of my guitar parts to give you more space. If you could also make it for download on soundcloud that would be great emoticon 

BTW, its great stuff what you did but needs more space and in some areas maybe too far upfront but all this can be EQed and/or reverbed or panned to left or right to accomodate all the instruments.

Looking forward to mastering this one! 
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 8/20/21 8:25 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/20/21 8:25 AM

Here you go emoticon

​​​​​​​https://soundcloud.com/clendn2000/sets/tonglen-trax
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 8/20/21 8:31 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/20/21 8:31 AM

Got it! Thanks! emoticon Don't delete the original song you played over so I can look up the exact times where you played each part as I will need to move my whole take to accomodate your intro hence need that one too just for reference emoticon 
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 8/20/21 8:35 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/20/21 8:35 AM

I did an export using your original track as the start/stop point, so those should all be lined up... let me know if you have any issues with it though
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 8/20/21 10:06 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/20/21 10:06 AM

Yes you are right emoticon my bad. All aligned very well! CHeers!

Here is the end result after me removing my guitar so your Solo part can be heard properly and then moved the Melotron part to a better spot as where it was it was in the way of my favorite guitar noodle (on the strat neck pickup) emoticon But since I love that deformed melotron sound I thought to give it a memorable place as a strong outro.

I hope you like it emoticon I LOVE it!!! emoticon My mate in UK loves it too and he is not liking just anything (he is a picky lad) emoticon 
https://soundcloud.com/papa-dusko/tonglen-instrumental
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 8/20/21 3:52 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/20/21 3:52 PM

I love it as well man nice work on the mixing! emoticon
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 8/21/21 8:35 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 8/21/21 8:35 AM

Works well doesnt it emoticon groovey baby emoticon 

You chose some fine tones on your keys!