RE: Liferay 7.3 Issues to fix Pepe · 6/23/21 7:24 PM
RE: Liferay 7.3 Issues to fix Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö 7/24/21 5:01 PM
RE: Liferay 7.3 Issues to fix Siavash ' 7/24/21 5:14 PM
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 3:38 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 3:38 PM

Liferay 7.3 Issues to fix

Dear All,

Frustrated by the various issues with Liferay, and frustrated by some other aspects of trying to get it fixed, I am going to just spend some book money on an UpWork job hire and get it all done by a paid pro.

So, here's your opportunity to post about your Liferay 7.3 issues you want fixed. Please, for the sake of my time, keep it to just items that need to be fixed, not commentary on anything else!

Here's my list so far:

1) Don't stay logged in
2) Messaging and Logo Portlet not downloaded/working
3) Notifications of thread posts by email broken
4) Some Categories say they are temporarily unavailable, such as the DhO Tech thread I wished to post this in.
5) The theme needs to be upgraded to 7.3 so this place is back to tan, not blue.

Those are the things I have found most annoying, but very happy to hear all other issues and just get it all fixed at once and move on.

Thanks for any suggestions, particularly well-defined, listed, succinctly stated ones!

Daniel,
Assistant underservant to the 3rd chambermaid of the DhO
thumbnail
Ni Nurta, modified 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 3:56 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 3:56 PM

RE: Liferay 7.3 Issues to fix

By far the biggest issue for me is that posts not always publish correctly. It forces me to copy post to clipboard before clicking publish and in the case post doesn't register I have to retry posting. I usually post from "advanced reply" page and source view as it has spell checking.
George S, modified 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 4:34 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/5/21 4:34 PM

- Option to toggle between tree view (current) and flat chronological view (previously). If toggle not possible, then revert to previous format (otherwise replies to older posts may not be seen)
- Bring back Preview button in editor
- Bring back Save as Draft button in editor. This will enable people to avoid losing the whole post if the publish fails. Currently you can only save a draft after you've already published an initial version!
- Any chance of speeding up? Posts usually take many many seconds to publish, sometimes up to a minute (which might be a cause of lost posts?)
- You used to be able to see the creator of a thread in the Recent Posts lists, which was helpful
- My editor doesn't have an emojis button (it was like this before the upgrade, so maybe just a problem with my account)

thumbnail
Josef C, modified 2 Years ago at 5/6/21 7:18 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/6/21 7:18 PM

I agree with you and second your opinion especially  in regards to the emoji and the speed. Hopefully also the logo above will be fixed along with the theme and the ability to view posts  the tree  view (chronological). It seems that now only the recent posts up to a year can be viewed unlike the last time where in the recent posts you can browse and see posts a few years back. Thanks Daniel emoticon 
thumbnail
Pepe ·, modified 2 Years ago at 5/7/21 1:14 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/6/21 9:11 PM

Thanks Daniel for fixing the forum software!
​​​​​​​
What George S says, in particular the tree view and seeing the original poster of the thread.  
​​​​​​​
thumbnail
Smiling Stone, modified 2 Years ago at 5/7/21 1:46 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/7/21 1:46 AM

- "more messages" that we have to click to change page on a thread. Better to scroll down directly- Before "recent posts" went all the way back to the beginning of the forum. It was really nice to get a chronological history of dho (thanks to Chris for enabling us to go back a year or so).
- regarding tree view, meanwhile I now always answer the last post on the thread...
​​​​​​​Thanks for all the amazing work!
thumbnail
Niels Lyngsø, modified 2 Years ago at 5/7/21 2:15 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/7/21 2:15 AM

Hey Daniel

Thanks for the great work! I agree with the other guys here and want to add one more thing:

- If we could get, not just emojis, but also font and font size back in the editor, it would be awesome.

thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 5/7/21 2:47 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/7/21 2:47 AM

Could we include "partial quote" option (if such exists). I find it unnecessary and annoying when folks quote whole posts and yet reply only to one aspect of that post. 
From my past forum moderating days (on other forums) I remember us not allowing such senseless quotations and would moderate it by asking people to stop and only quote partially and even edit those long quotes. 

Sorry if this issue has nothing to do with Liferey and more to do with Moderating. 
thumbnail
Steph S, modified 2 Years ago at 5/7/21 4:08 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/7/21 4:08 PM

I second Che's request if possible. OMG it's so obnoxious when someone quotes a multi-paragraph post and replies with like one sentence to just one part of that post. 
thumbnail
Helen Pohl, modified 2 Years ago at 5/8/21 2:47 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/8/21 2:47 AM

A way to mark all threads as read would be nice.  emoticon
thumbnail
Zero, modified 2 Years ago at 5/9/21 9:40 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/9/21 9:40 AM

Option to Direct Message people. 
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 2 Years ago at 5/12/21 10:44 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/12/21 10:44 AM

Ok, anyone here a coder who could translate the above requests into something that someone bidding on a job on a site such as UpWork would feel comfortable was clear, actionable, and well-bounded such that they could give me a fair price and/or know when the tasks had been properly accomplished?

I can try writing this myself, but might not be as good as if a coder did it.

Thanks for any help you can offer on this!

Daniel
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 5/12/21 11:56 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/12/21 11:56 AM

Hey Daniel,
Thanks for all of your work on this. I wonder, if we are going to create a job request on somewhere like UpWork, if it would make more sense to do a full migration to a new platform such as the ones that had been floated earlier (Discourse, phpBB, etc) which would be easier to maintain going forward?

It might actually be easier than fixing individual defects, though I do suspect that retaining all the post history might be difficult, especially migrating across platforms.  But for this, there would also be the option of keeping all old posts in the Liferay database, accessable by a different URL (i.e. dharmaoverground-classic.org), but not allowing any new posts on the Liferay site, instead directing all new posts to the new site.  I think this idea was also discussed previously, not sure if we came to any conclusion w.r.t. sticking to Liferay vs. full migration.

Best wishes,
JW
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 2 Years ago at 5/12/21 12:58 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/12/21 12:58 PM

Yes, I entirely understand your point about wanting to switch to a new platform, and forgive my interest in permalinks, but the DhO is referenced many, many places on the web, and, unless we can solve that issue definitively, as well as assure onboarding across platforms is relatively smooth, as well as assure data control and security, etc., I am, for better or for worse, thinking that Liferay is still viable, if a great clunky hog of a platform. Really, the fault is mine for not properly tending to its complexities and providing it proper support in a timely fashion.

So, again, anyone want to help me write all that up into some that a coder for hire will look favorably on and be likely to lead to good results?
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 5/12/21 2:25 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/12/21 2:15 PM

That does make sense.  I guess if you were to change the URL of the current site that would break all of those links. I'm not sure the effect it would have on search results (like from Google), I think those results would still show up.

I am a coder, but not much a web developer, and not too familiar with UpWork so probably not the most ideal candidate to help with this write up. But that aside, I am happy to provide some feedback on it and/or compile this list as best I can. If you want I can reach out to you privately with my email.

​​​​​​​(update, just emailed you)
thumbnail
Siavash ', modified 2 Years ago at 5/13/21 3:50 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/13/21 3:44 AM

Hi,

Just wanted to mention that some of the issues that are listed above, don't have any fix, because Liferay doesn't support them anymore.

The flat view that was available in Liferay 6, according to the link below, is not supported in Liferay 7, so I am not sure it's helpful to include that item in the list of issues. There may be ways to implement a flat view on Liferay 7, but it would need customizing Liferay' source code which is a big project itself.

https://help.liferay.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017892092-Breaking-Changes#removed-support-for-flat-thread-view-in-discussion-comments

It's because of the removal of flat view that Liferay 7 has pagination and "More Messages" button in the threads, but at least it can be customized to change that default 50 items per page configuration for the threads in current versions of Liferay.
George S, modified 2 Years ago at 5/13/21 7:29 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/13/21 7:29 AM

Tree view is ok (and better in some respects) so long as post notification/email is working so you don't miss replies to earlier posts.
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 5/15/21 1:07 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/15/21 1:07 PM

Here's what I've got so far, does it look okay?  @siavash.m any thoughts?

Headline:
Online Liferay forum needs enhancement and bug fixes after upgrade

Description:
  We recently performed an upgrade to our online forum from Liferay 6 to Liferay 7, and in the process lost some of the customizations and features that were present in the old version that we would like to get back.  

We have compiled a list of items that we would like to be fixed, to whatever extent is possible.

Must have plenty of experience with the Liferay forum platform, specifically versions 6 and 7, and having performed an upgrade from v6 to v7 is a plus.

The current list of items that need remediation are as follows (other items may be added to this list):

1) Users do not always stay logged in
3) Email notifications of thread posts not being sent
4) Some Categories say they are temporarily unavailable
5) Theme needs to be changed back to tan, not blue.
6) Posts not always publish correctly
7) Option to toggle between tree view (current) and flat chronological view (previously). If toggle not possible, then revert to previous format (otherwise replies to older posts may not be seen)
8) Bring back Preview button in editor.
9) Bring back Save as Draft button in editor. This will enable people to avoid losing the whole post if the publish fails. Currently you can only save a draft after you've already published an initial version!
10) Investigation into post performance (and overall performance) - posts usually take many many seconds to publish, sometimes up to a minute (which might be a cause of lost posts?)
11) You used to be able to see the creator of a thread in the Recent Posts lists, which was helpful, while now it just shows the author of the last reply.
12) Editor no longer has an emojis button, nor does it have font and font size options.
13) Could we include "partial quote" option (if such exists)
14) A way to mark all threads as read 
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 2 Years ago at 5/15/21 4:58 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/15/21 4:58 PM

Not sure if this was mentioned but posting a photo can block the entire thread. As in , nobody can post after that photo reply. Not sure if this depends on the photo host. 

This happened on Linda's log and on Tim's log too. 
thumbnail
Siavash ', modified 2 Years ago at 5/15/21 11:17 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/15/21 11:16 PM

J W
Here's what I've got so far, does it look okay?  @siavash.m any thoughts?

Headline:
Online Liferay forum needs enhancement and bug fixes after upgrade

Description:
  We recently performed an upgrade to our online forum from Liferay 6 to Liferay 7, and in the process lost some of the customizations and features that were present in the old version that we would like to get back.  

We have compiled a list of items that we would like to be fixed, to whatever extent is possible.

Must have plenty of experience with the Liferay forum platform, specifically versions 6 and 7, and having performed an upgrade from v6 to v7 is a plus.

The current list of items that need remediation are as follows (other items may be added to this list):

1) Users do not always stay logged in
3) Email notifications of thread posts not being sent
4) Some Categories say they are temporarily unavailable
5) Theme needs to be changed back to tan, not blue.
6) Posts not always publish correctly
7) Option to toggle between tree view (current) and flat chronological view (previously). If toggle not possible, then revert to previous format (otherwise replies to older posts may not be seen)
8) Bring back Preview button in editor.
9) Bring back Save as Draft button in editor. This will enable people to avoid losing the whole post if the publish fails. Currently you can only save a draft after you've already published an initial version!
10) Investigation into post performance (and overall performance) - posts usually take many many seconds to publish, sometimes up to a minute (which might be a cause of lost posts?)
11) You used to be able to see the creator of a thread in the Recent Posts lists, which was helpful, while now it just shows the author of the last reply.
12) Editor no longer has an emojis button, nor does it have font and font size options.

Hi J W
Thank you for your efforts.

I'd make these edits, but feel free to ignore some or all of them, or fix their writing issues:

Description:
  ... from Liferay 6 to Liferay 7.3 ... . I think we should mention Liferay 7.3 because it has some differences with lower 7.x versions.

1) User logout: Some users get logged out unexpectedly when performing an action like replying to a post. This happens on different devices and platforms.

2) Messaging and Logo portlets need to be upgraded to Liferay 7.3 format. Preferably to OSGI jar bundles.

3) Email configuration is not working. Notifications are displayed in the notification section in the site, but notification emails not being sent.

5) A custom theme is needed based on Liferay 6 classic theme (tan) to be applied on Liferay 7.3.

6) Posts not always publish correctly. When clicking publish button, it redirects to the categories page.

7) Note: As I've said above, this option is not supported and can't be accomplished without deep customization. So I don't think we need to include it. Feel free to ignore this note.

9) Note: I think this is not a problem. When writing a post, if you switch to the Advanced Reply mode, you can save the post as a draft there before publishing it. George S (Agnostic)'s user account had an issue before, so he may not have this option available. That is another issue.

10) Investigation into post performance (and overall performance) - posts usually take many many seconds to publish, sometimes up to a minute. Publishing posts uses a background worker that has retry policy. It seems that the retry policy needs to have a longer timeout interval, so that it doesn't fail quickly. What happens is that, the background worker fails quickly so it keeps retrying again and again.

Note: I think the options #13 and #14 might need deep customization too. So I am not sure it's good to include them. I say this, because when you have an issue in the list that needs deep customization, it may change the estimated time and price for the developer dramatically.

Thanks.
George S, modified 2 Years ago at 5/16/21 8:51 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/16/21 8:49 AM

7) I introduced this point but think we should take it out since flat view is not supported. Both flat and tree have pros and cons, and tree with notifications is probably better than flat.

9) We should take this point out. I didn't realize that you could use Advanced Reply mode like this - thanks Siavash!

13) I think we should take this point out. If you want to partially quote someone you can either reply with quote and delete the parts you don't want to quote, or else you can do an inline block quote and copy past what you need to quote. Inline block quote don't show clearly in the editor like they used to, so it's hard to see what you have actually quoted, but that's a separate issue.

15) Bring back ability to see creator of thread on the recent posts list.

16) Increase the recent posts upper limit to more than 365 days if possible (ignore if deep customization). This means that most of the valuable DhO history is inacessible unless it happens to show up in a google search. If you do a DhO search on a specific term then it doesn't return the older posts, also if you search on a user's post history.

Maybe on the welcome page we could have a section on posting tips and etiquette. Things like how to use Advanced Reply to Save as Draft and how to use inline Block Quote, as well as not replying with full quote to long posts unless you really need to!

​​​​​​​Thanks
thumbnail
Nicolas Epstein, modified 2 Years ago at 5/16/21 12:45 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/16/21 11:06 AM

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to chime in. I am a professional web developer. I joined the forum only very recently, and immediately noticed some of the various problems listed above.

On the technical side, I would think the best solution would be to ditch the current broken system altogether. This would involve porting all the current database content (users, categories, threads and posts)  to a new platform. Lots of (free and open-source) options on that front. Some preliminary research would be necessary to figure out which platform would be best suited to the community's needs and which one would allow for the smoothest integration of the old content. Obviously, the site would remain accessible through the same URL.

Could stick with the current platform as well. Seems really clunky, but perhaps it can be whipped into shape!

I had actually been thinking of writing Daniel directly to offer my services to work on these issues. I am working full-time on another project for the next couple months, however, so it would be slow going until that's over. But anyway, offer on the table!

I can be reached at nilueps [at] gmail.com
George S, modified 2 Years ago at 5/16/21 3:29 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/16/21 3:29 PM

17) Bring back the date/time stamp on posts instead of x mins/hours/days/years ago.
thumbnail
Pepe ·, modified 2 Years ago at 5/17/21 9:06 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/16/21 8:57 PM

18) When I wanted to save my entire practice log in my PC, it could only save the html up to the first "new messages" button, even though I open the thread completely. Added: Yet, I could print a PDF for the entire practice log, so at least there's a way to save the thread. 
thumbnail
Pepe ·, modified 2 Years ago at 5/17/21 9:00 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/17/21 4:01 AM

19) If you change your user image, the system doesn't display the 'screen name' but the personal 'Initial name' and 'Last name'. I changed the image of my username, but the system forced me to add something to 'Last Name' [ I added just a dot '·' ] in order to save the changes. Nothing serious, of low priority, but that shouldn't happen in a forum software.
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 5/17/21 3:49 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/17/21 3:48 PM

On the technical side, I would think the best solution would be to ditch the current broken system altogether. This would involve porting all the current database content (users, categories, threads and posts)  to a new platform. Lots of (free and open-source) options on that front. Some preliminary research would be necessary to figure out which platform would be best suited to the community's needs and which one would allow for the smoothest integration of the old content. Obviously, the site would remain accessible through the same URL.
Any ideas on preserving hyperlinks from other sites after migrating to a new platform?  Seems we would have to not only preserve the base URL but also all of the sublinks, e.g. https://www.dharmaoverground.org/discussion/-/message_boards/message/22747215 or else anywhere on the web that links to DhO will be broken.  
Not sure a way around that which wouldn't take a ridiculous amount of work...
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 5/17/21 5:27 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/17/21 5:27 PM

Thinking out loud here, but we could do something like this for any old links:

http://www.wordwizard.com/ch_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20245&whichpage=1

Since we would be keeping the base URL the same, we could at least display a message of some sort explaining that things have moved and direct user to search instead.  Hopefully we could at least keep all the old posts in the database so that it would still be viewable, just would have to use a different link to get there.
thumbnail
Nicolas Epstein, modified 2 Years ago at 5/18/21 8:20 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/18/21 8:20 AM

That's a good point. I think it might be possible to create a service to dynamically reroute old paths to the corresponding spot in the new system. But as you say it might be a ridiculous amount of work depending on how differently the two platforms build their routes...
thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 2 Years ago at 5/18/21 3:11 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/18/21 3:11 PM

Ok, how about all interested parties with technical expertise and I meet to discuss this, as it is complicated, lots of points that need to be covered, huge decision, and possibly costly. When might people be able to meet?

I tend to schedule meetings Monday thorugh Thursday, 9am to 5pm Central Time.

Thanks!

Daniel
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 5/25/21 2:17 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/25/21 2:17 PM

Hey Daniel, apologies for the delay as I have been without internet.  I'll send you an email reply separately but I am available this week.  My web dev experience is minimal but I can maybe help out with 'project planning' and estimate type stuff.
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 2 Years ago at 5/25/21 7:28 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/25/21 7:28 PM

Oh, so it's because of the user image? I have noticed it too, actually already with an earlier version, but I wasn't aware that it had to do with the image. I changed the image from start. 
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 2 Years ago at 5/25/21 7:30 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/25/21 7:30 PM

I have not managed to save mine. That is, not in a way that covers the full length of the posts. But you could? Wow. I need to try again and maybe ask you for advice.
thumbnail
Nicolas Epstein, modified 2 Years ago at 5/29/21 8:44 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 5/29/21 8:43 PM

Hi, apologies for the slow reply here as well, it's been a rough week. I'm also available in the coming days, some time around 6pm EST/ 5pm CT would be ideal. Best to reach me at the aformentioned email as I don't receive notifications from DhO
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 2 Years ago at 6/5/21 10:52 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/5/21 10:47 AM

If I may be direct about this "upgrade and recovery from it" issue - where do we stand on fixing the problems that came along with the conversion to Liferay 7.3? In my humble opinion, they make reading, posting, and working here (as a moderator) much more difficult than it was previously. If money is an issue I'm willing to contribute, but would do so based on seeing a plan with specific paths to fixing specific problems, and timelines.

Sorry, but I find the situation less and less tolerable as I try to use these boards.

- CM

PS EDIT: Specific issues that should be priorities from my personal POV:

1. Restore the messaging function - this will re-open the channel of communication between members and the moderators, and each other
2. Eliminate or dramatically increase the message posting limits for each topic
3. Restore the choice between flat, tree, and combined views of each topic

If nothing else is done, these three items being fixed will, IMHO, bring some needed sanity back to DhO's platform.
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 6/7/21 2:17 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/7/21 2:16 PM

hey Chris, we have a couple of guys (Manish + another) working on this now, I am not completely sure on timeline as I am not directly involved in the development, but I will check and see if I can get an update.

I believe the plan is to upgrade to Liferay 7.4 first and then fix remaining issues afterwards.  Not sure if we have made it far enough to determine whether we will be able to fix all defects or if we will have to prioritize.  But I will make sure to relay the higher priority items (I agree that messaging and post limits are big ones) if it turns out that we won't be able to fix all the outstanding items.

Thanks,
​​​​​​​JW
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 2 Years ago at 6/7/21 4:45 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/7/21 4:45 PM

JW --

Who is this "we" you speak of? Who is in charge of the next steps? Why not communicate this new upgrade project and related progress to everyone? The lack of communication about the Liferay 7.3 upgrade and the mess it created, and whatever is coming next, is epic.

​​​​​​​Just sayin'
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 6/7/21 5:08 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/7/21 5:05 PM

Hey Chris,
I just heard back from Manish. He should have the upgrade to 7.4 completed this week (on a parallel URL), from there we ('we' defined below for you) will do some testing and see which issues remain.  I have volunteered to help with some of that testing.

To answer your questions:

Who is this "we" you speak of? 
  We would be Daniel, Manish, a colleague of Manish's who I do not know, and myself.

Who is in charge of the next steps? 
  Manish is doing all the development here, so the ball's mostly in his court.  

Why not communicate this new upgrade project and related progress to everyone?
  This is what I am doing emoticon (or at least, trying to - I just heard from Manish end of last week that he was going to do the upgrade to 7.4)

A question for you, would you like me to include you on the email thread we have going for this?  That would probably be the easiest/ most direct way for you to get updates.
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 2 Years ago at 6/7/21 5:22 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/7/21 5:19 PM

JW, please just be proactive in communicating with all of us right here in this topic.  I don't want to have to prompt information from you or anyone else. I don't need or want special e-mails that don't help the other DhO members, and which I would just republish here anyway. We're all in this same DhO boat together and we'd all benefit from knowing what is planned and/or being done to fix the issues we've been struggling with for months now.

Okay?
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 6/7/21 5:36 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/7/21 5:35 PM

Chris, I understand your frustration here.
I am doing my best to play middle man between Manish - (who I am not sure is a member of the DhO - Manish, you there??) - Daniel, and the DhO populace, to keep everyone informed of the progress in realtime.  I agree that it would be much easier for everyone involved if there were regular updates being provided here by the development team, but unfortunately I don't have a fully transparent view into Manish's progress, and I'm also in the middle of Wyoming right now with pretty limited internet access, so I'm only able to spend time responding/updating this thread maybe once a day, if I'm lucky.  

In my view it would make more sense for Manish to post on here directly to keep people updated, or perhaps Daniel, since he is in more direct contact with Manish than I am, because for reasons listed above I am not the ideal candidate to be middle man, anyway.  But, since I don't think Manish has an account here, and Daniel is busy with other things, this is the situation we're in, unless someone else wants to step in, which I would be happy with.

That all said, I hope you can understand that I will do my best to relay any info that I hear, and in no way is it my intention to be lacking in transparency or adding to any confusion here.

This is the only thing I have received via email thread that has not already been posted on this DhO thread. Hope this helps:
​​​​​​​

(From Manish):
"It's difficult to provide effort on exact days or hours without analysis issues. That's why I have given approx effort estimation of around  2 months to develop the theme, upgrade the messaging portlet and  fix all issues. 
Some issues are small and might be quickly fixed through configuration changes but for some source code of application required to be modified.

I'm available to work on issues and upgrade portlets .One of my friends is also ready to work on a theme and issues related to front end (CSS).
So you may share a list of all issues which you and others are facing on the website and if possible, a video of the issue ,it will help us to reproduce the issue at our end.

Below Points will cover 

a) Upgrade messaging portlet
b) 2 new themes development
c) Fixing of all issues(Will update in advance if any issue not feasible to fix)
d) upgrade to Liferay 7.4( In case required)

Time : approx 2-3 months
Budget : $3500
"
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 2 Years ago at 6/7/21 5:41 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/7/21 5:41 PM

Thank you, JW.

PS: I don't think we need to know the money side of things, just the process side.
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 6/7/21 5:50 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/7/21 5:50 PM

No problem. I should at the very least be able to check in with Manish and provide a weekly update here, or if I hear anything from him I'll make sure to relay it here.  If that doesn't sound reasonable, let me know what you think does.
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 6/8/21 4:38 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/8/21 4:14 PM

Hey, I just heard from Manish. He is running into issues with upgrading to 7.4 so we may just stick with the current version and fix the issues on this version.

A couple of questions, if anyone can help out with this please let me know here:

Manish>
4) Some Categories say they are temporarily unavailable  :  Could you share a list of categories in which you are getting errors.

JW>
I am only getting issues on 'Magick and the Powers'. It's just throwing an error "message boards is temporarily unavailable"
Everything else is working fine for me, but Manish did find issues with the following:

a) Terminology : https://www.dharmaoverground.org/discussion/-/message_boards/category/2895194b) The DhO Itself :  https://www.dharmaoverground.org/discussion/-/message_boards/category/11921c) Theoreticians and Traditionalists (T&T) :  https://www.dharmaoverground.org/discussion/-/message_boards/category/127451

Q for the DhO: Anyone else having problems with different categories other than the 4 mentioned above?

Manish>
8) Option to toggle between tree view (current) and flat chronological view (previously)  : Could you share layout sample of both view,might be already we have tree view  so i required reference for FLAT chronological view ,if possible please share some websites url which having expected view

Q for the DhO: Can anyone help with this one?  Maybe with some screenshots of an old thread?

Thanks in advance!

thumbnail
Siavash ', modified 2 Years ago at 6/8/21 5:23 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/8/21 5:22 PM

Hi J W and Manish,

About having screenshots of flat view and tree view and comparing it with Liferay 7.3, I checked for some screenshots, google brings some data, but that's not good imo. I think better way is to install a Liferay 6 on your local, it can use a different port for its tomcat http connector, so that you can have it simultaneously with your Liferay 7.3 installation, and then create a few categories and threads on Liferay 6 installation and compare it with the current version. I think that's the best  way to compare user-interface and user-experience.

thumbnail
Chris M, modified 2 Years ago at 6/8/21 6:05 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/8/21 6:02 PM

Try the Wayback Machine for what I recall is the combined view with the posts shown in chronological order and with the reply indents:

​​​​​​​See the attached image file and this URL:

https://web.archive.org/web/20210125062258/https://www.dharmaoverground.org/discussion/-/message_boards/message/21689099

Also, is there no backup for DhO from the pre-Liferay 7.3 era? If there is, restore it and use that for examples. I'd be concerned if DhO is not being backed up and archived, frankly.
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 6/9/21 12:50 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/9/21 12:48 PM

Thank Chris, I think this is what we need.  Great idea to use Wayback Machine for that.

Also, is there no backup for DhO from the pre-Liferay 7.3 era? If there is, restore it and use that for examples. I'd be concerned if DhO is not being backed up and archived, frankly.
I don't know the answer to that. I assume there is a DB backup because we had discussed rolling back after the last upgrade, I'm not sure about a copy of the codebase.  I would also be concerned if there isn't.  I did suggest to Manish and Daniel that we use source control for all our customizations, but I have not gotten any response to that suggestion.

Again, I would invite anyone who is interested here (Chris, Siavash?) to join the email thread between myself, Daniel, and Manish, as that is where the communication is happening.  Ideally all of that communication would be happening right here, but it's not, because Daniel doesn't seem to be checking this thread and Manish is not a member of the DhO.  

FYI I just sent another email to Manish and Daniel:

Hey Manish, Daniel,
A couple of questions brought up from the DhO - do we currently have a database archive/backup process in place? If not, could we set that up?

Also wondering about source control for our Liferay code.  Is our current codebase being stored in a repo?  If not, can we set that up?

One more question, would it be possible to move this conversation to the Dharma Overground forum itself, as there are a few members there who are curious about the progress, and I have had to assume the role of middle man to relay info back and forth.  It would be easier if this could all be on the forum.

thank you!
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 2 Years ago at 6/9/21 1:00 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/9/21 12:59 PM

JW, thanks again!

You've accepted a difficult assignment  emoticon
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 6/9/21 1:10 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/9/21 1:10 PM

As it is mostly a communication issue, I consider it a lesson in dualism and impermanence emoticon
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 6/9/21 1:17 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/9/21 1:17 PM

Ok, I heard back from Manish and he is going to start providing updates here on DhO.

FYI Chris, there is a backup of the old DhO, Manish has been using it.
There are not many customizations outside of the Messaging portlet but we will be storing everything in source. control going forward.

I'm going to create a new thread now where Manish can provide updates, this one is quite long already.

thumbnail
Eric B, modified 2 Years ago at 6/15/21 4:22 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/15/21 4:20 PM

The post show the date the author joined the DhO, but not the actual date of the post itself.
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 6/23/21 3:32 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/23/21 3:30 PM

Adding an item here per Pepe's comment on other thread.

"does Liferay 7.3 / 7.4 allow sticky threads? If so, who has authorization to make a thread sticky up in Recent Posts?"

-Look into options for sticky threads
thumbnail
Pepe ·, modified 2 Years ago at 6/23/21 7:24 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/23/21 7:22 PM

Thanks JW!
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 2 Years ago at 7/24/21 5:01 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/24/21 5:01 PM

I think it would be great to look into options of letting the "recent posts" view display which category each thread belongs to. I believe it would help people with both navigation and context. (The original poster too, but I think that has already been mentioned.) 
thumbnail
Siavash ', modified 2 Years ago at 7/24/21 5:14 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 7/24/21 5:14 PM

It's not something that could be changed by admin controls or even the configurations.
It needs source code cutomization of Liferay plus changing configuration.
I agree that it would be good to do that, although it has a design challenge too that how would you layout the UI so that it looks good, because some categories have long titles, some have short titles, etc.

Breadcrumb