Sticky thread for new posters

thumbnail
Pepe ·, modified 2 Years ago at 6/22/21 8:04 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/22/21 7:51 AM

Sticky thread for new posters

Hi to all of you,

Does Liferay allow nowadays sticky threads? 

I believe that one with a few pointers for new participants would be of much help, as every week there's a guy/gal asking for help on A&P/Kundalini or DN, or claiming SE and asking for some kind of validation, yet they show poor phenomenological description and little/null context.

I usually answer back two texts to help them refine their descriptions: Shargrol's How to get the best advice in an online forum (just after the books recommendations) and Daniel's List of symptoms for ñana diagnosis. But this may inhibit further participation, as (I guess) they decode these pointers as a personal critique instead of a sharing of resources. 

Perhaps if there were a sticky thread with these resources or else (*), that would help new participants in their first posts here. I understand that the Wiki section was meant for that, but probably new people jump right to Recent Posts and seldom check other parts of DhO. This sticky thread would remember them to check those other sections as well.  

(*) we could discuss in this thread which other resources (links) should/could be included. Examples: the 10 books most used/read/commented in DhO; a short list of meditation techniques usually practiced by fellow DhOers; a list of meditation coaches, etc.

What do you think?

thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 2 Years ago at 6/22/21 9:29 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/22/21 9:28 AM

RE: Sticky thread for new posters

I think it's a great idea, if it's technically possible. As of now, I as a moderator do not have the option to make it sticky. I suspect that's an admin thing. 
thumbnail
J W, modified 2 Years ago at 6/22/21 4:30 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/22/21 4:28 PM

I also think this would be a great idea, it does sort of exist here: https://www.dharmaoverground.org/discussion/-/message_boards/message/98873
As well as on the DhO Home page, and in the Wiki section (DhO Basics).

(EDIT: so that link doesn't work, lol, but the title of the thread is "An Idiots Guide to Dharma Diagnosis" posted by Kenneth Folk)

If you click on the Dharma Diagnostic Category link, it's the first that shows up.

However, most people don't use the site that way, they just go to Recent Discussions.  I don't know if there is a way to add a sticky thread from there (maybe adding some instructional text for any new post that's created, that would direct to the above locations?)

IMO the Wiki and Home page could be expanded, as I think more detail about the history of the site, recommended ways to use the site, what people have found helpful/not helpful, could be really useful to newer posters.  I know it does exist, just saying, i wish there was a way to make that info more intuitively accessible.
thumbnail
Niels Lyngsø, modified 2 Years ago at 6/24/21 9:05 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/24/21 9:05 AM

Excellent idea! I have exactly the same experience as you, Pepe. And when I have the time, I try to ask newcomers politely to provide some more info. But a Sticky thread would be a great solution, with a link to shargrol's fine advice on how best to post. So let's hope it's technically possible!

​​​​​​​Namaste!
thumbnail
Griffin, modified 2 Years ago at 6/24/21 11:30 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/24/21 11:30 AM

Yes! Please somebody do this. This is one of those little technical steps that make much difference.
A Dietrich Ringle, modified 2 Years ago at 6/24/21 2:29 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/24/21 2:27 PM

Well, I for one enjoy posting on people's various threads asking for help. I don't know if it's helpful. But at the very least it's helpful to me.<br /><br />By telling people how to post, are we in fact demolishing the ecumenical nature of this site?

I haven't actually read shargrol's advice, edit.
A Dietrich Ringle, modified 2 Years ago at 6/24/21 2:54 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 6/24/21 2:54 PM

Ok, it's probably not that big of a deal, so count me in!

Breadcrumb