Are some bipolar episodes Arising and Passing Away?

Sota Panna, modified 2 Years ago at 10/30/21 7:19 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 10/30/21 7:15 PM

Are some bipolar episodes Arising and Passing Away?

In 2011 at the age of 31, I went through a crisis/episode diagnosed as bipolar. I took my Dr. advice and popped pills, but the episodes haven't stopped. One every two or three years. I was averse to any religion but did start looking into explanation of such episodes and stumbled on to Buddhism 6 months ago. One such episode had me "see" reality of unity/non-self while I was inquiring several hours whether consciousness can be killed.  My question is are there others who have had episodes and whether they consider it Arising and Passing Away?
​​​​​​​
a&p
Robin Woods, modified 2 Years ago at 10/31/21 4:53 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 10/31/21 4:52 AM

RE: Are some bipolar episodes Arising and Passing Away?

It's a fascinating topic and I imagine very little is understood about it at this stage. 

I think it's pretty obvious though that the bipolar cycle and the Progress of Insight cycle are related in at least some way....

I'm personally convinced that manic episodes take you above the A&P and that the vast majority of people suffering in mental hospitals are ALSO dark nighting
shargrol, modified 2 Years ago at 10/31/21 5:18 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 10/31/21 5:18 AM

One way to think about it is a mixture of mental disorder and spiritual experiences. It's possible to have a spiritual experience with a lot of mental disorder or with a very clear mind. Sometimes the first "glimpse" occurs when people are not that psychologically healthy, so the spiritual experience is mixed with a lot of insanity. 

So the path forward is to reduce the amount of psychological confusion and increase the amount of mental clarity. Psychological confusion causes the most amount of suffering in life, so definitely it's important to find a therapy that helps clarify why mania and depression happens and create better worldviews for living one's life. Mental health is very important.

Meditation practice can help, but it can also sometimes exaggerate psychological confusion. Sometimes people meditate with too much effort and become even more psychologically imbalanced. Meditation can sometimes lead to depresssion, depersonalization, mania, etc. 

Meditation isn't required to live a good life. But if someone with mental illness is really interested in meditation, then the most direct path to making healthy progress is to use some kind of psychological therapy to reduce psychological confusion and to use meditation to increase the amount of mental clarity. 

​​​​​​​Hope this is helpful in some way.
Sota Panna, modified 2 Years ago at 10/31/21 10:44 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 10/31/21 10:44 AM

This makes a lot of sense.

Amidst all the darkness of an episode- the sudden expunging of series of traumas - the silver lining is the profound spiritual experiences you have and if you are lucky to remember them because those are really like a needle in the haystack.  

Thank you for your thoughts. 
Brandon Michael Rohe, modified 2 Years ago at 11/7/21 4:15 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 11/7/21 4:15 PM

Yes they are in my opinion. I have bipolar disorder type 1. I typed out a much longer response, but it seemed to get deleted when I hit post. I've experienced a lot in this territory for the past 8 years. My first cessations occured on 5-28-2021. Feel free to send me an email if you'd like to discuss this more. It'd be my pleasure.
​​​​​​​bmrohe@gmail.com

Breadcrumb