Verifying my kundalini + universal samadhi (i am a vajrayana adept)

thumbnail
Brett Hendrick, modified 2 Years ago at 11/29/21 4:41 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 11/29/21 3:59 AM

Verifying my kundalini + universal samadhi (i am a vajrayana adept)

So Avatar Adi Da has a neo-perennial map of the stages of samadhi.
He shows
1. Physical
2. Emotion
3. Will
4. Devotional love
5. Conditional nirvikalpa (silencing)
6. Jnana (looking within)
7. Unconditional (silent mind)

My claim is only that I am at the stage 5 level of attainment.
Master Da says that stage 5 subdivides, 
1. Saguna (or form samadhi) and
2. Nirguna unity godhead, typical for people like Ramakrishna
3. greater nirvikalpa samadhi (experienced rarely), certain adepts
What would be the translation of this level of attainment in core buddhist dharma?

​​​​​​​My claim goes as far as saying I have attained the second subdivision of the 5th
I have attained the preliminary Saguna as well as the culmination Nirguna (formless)

So what are your thoughts? My intuition is that this is Jnana 4-5 or something
thumbnail
Chris Marti, modified 2 Years ago at 11/30/21 1:48 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 11/30/21 1:40 PM

RE: Verifying my kundalini + universal samadhi (i am a vajrayana adept)

For those unfamiliar with Adi Da:

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Adi_Da
​​​​​​​
Adi Da initially became known in the spiritual counterculture of the 1970s for his books and public talks and for the activities of his religious community. His philosophy was essentially similar to many eastern religions which see spiritual enlightenment as the ultimate priority of human life.[4][5][6] Distinguishing his from other religious traditions, Adi Da declared that he is a uniquely historic avatar (Divine incarnation, fully Awake or Bright as Conscious Light prior to and after birth in human form). Adi Da stated that devotional worship of Divine Person via his bodily form will enable spiritual enlightenment for others.[7]

Adi Da developed a map of potential human and spiritual evolution that he called "the seven stages of life".[126]
  • First Stage—"individuation/physical development"
  • Second Stage—"socialization"
  • Third Stage—"integration/mental development"
  • Fourth Stage—"spiritualization/Divine Communion"
  • Fifth Stage—"spiritual ascent"
  • Sixth Stage—"abiding in consciousness"
  • Seventh Stage—"Divine Enlightenment: awakening from all egoic limitations"

And the kicker:
​​​​​​​
Adi Da insisted that since he solely embodied seventh stage realization, devotional worship of him would henceforth be the exclusive means for others to free themselves from "self-contraction", thereby allowing them to "participate in his enlightened state" (i.e. attain awareness themselves of the seventh stage, or "realize" it.)
thumbnail
Brett Hendrick, modified 2 Years ago at 11/30/21 6:12 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 11/30/21 5:56 PM

Devotion to a master or saint has a strong tradition in Vajrayana buddhism, as well as some forms of Hinduism, so I understand where Da is coming from. It's actually called Guru Yoga, and that's what Da is basically advocating. Ramana Maharshi considers guru devotionalism the direct means (other than self-inquiry).

The claim to exclusivity is controversial, however, we can see beyond that, as there have obviously been other Samyak Sambuddhas (7th stage realized adepts).
Zen Buddhism, as well as Vajrayana (tantric buddhism) have their own 7th stage realizer tradition.
​​​​​​​The Ribhu Gita in Hinduism indicates this 7th stage finality, as well as indications within Ramana Maharshi.
I'm using Adi Da's stages as cross-cultural verification, and any saint within their own tradition is free to use it.
Here's a full read on the stages. https://www.adidaupclose.org/introduction/seven_stages.html
Compare this and Ingram with stages of stream entry to Arahat
T DC, modified 2 Years ago at 11/30/21 6:21 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 11/30/21 6:20 PM

Interesting look at another tradition, and one that seems ripe for some mapping cross - pollination.  ;)

​​​​​​​Brett, most people here are probably largely unfamiliar with the specific stages and progression of experience in Adi Da's tradition.  However, if you want have more of a discussion about where you're at, I would suggest posting an explanation of the types of practices you do,  the progression of your practice, and your current experience, such as why you think you are at any certain stage.
thumbnail
Brett Hendrick, modified 2 Years ago at 11/30/21 7:40 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 11/30/21 7:38 PM

Are you willing to contribute?? Like I said, it seems like jnana 5 to 4. What tradition are you in? My tradition is specifically vajrayana, so when you say "be specific", there's no need to be specific unless we can universalize our specific experiences. 
T DC, modified 2 Years ago at 11/30/21 9:21 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 11/30/21 9:21 PM

Yes, in fact my last post was an attempt to contribute to this thread in order to facilitate greater discussion. 

Like many people here, I have a wide range of Buddhist interests and diverse practice history, so if you do go into specifics it is very possible that I or someone else will have something relevant to contribute. 

However, at the moment I know very little about what you believe you have attained, or how, ect, so there's really nothing to go off.

jnana as in jhana or nana? What is your specific practice like? How long have you been practicing? Any notable experiences?  That would help provide relevant information for any further discussion.

​​​​​​​Best Tim
thumbnail
Brett Hendrick, modified 2 Years ago at 12/1/21 12:28 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/1/21 12:28 AM

I've drawn from Hinduism and Buddhism, even though culturally I'm more Buddhist in leaning.
Practices and techniques I've adopted include:
1. mindfulness (as per Thich Nhat Hanh), which I've taken pretty far
2. Buddhist generation practices, to some extent the completion practices
3. Tara Sadhana, Vajrasattva sadhana, Medicine Budha sadhana
4. Lucid dreaming
5. Shamanism
6. Contemplating on I AM or source consciousness (via Bentinho Massaro)

This is just a sample of the entire range of practices
My experiences won't be the same as everybody, because I think they are out of the ordinary, but they are 1. Bodhicitta, 2. kundalini as a result of bodhicitta, 3. expansion of kundalini into savikalpa (form) samadhis 4. meditation on various buddha archetypes having numerous visions
5. conditional formless absorption for 3 days in the FORMLESS state above the head, as culmination of higher crown activation
Stri Plots, modified 1 Year ago at 10/5/22 4:33 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 10/5/22 4:33 AM

There's a good chance that I, or at least someone else here, will have something helpful to say if you get into specifics. I share the general interest in Buddhism shared by many of the individuals here and have had a varied experience with its practice.

​​​​​​​word hurdle
thumbnail
Brett Hendrick, modified 1 Year ago at 10/5/22 12:54 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 10/5/22 12:54 PM

I have been watching a lot of Shinzen Young videos, kind of rounding out my Tibetan Vajrayana / Raja Yoga with a more Noetic / Jnana yoga approach
You can contact me @ gradedstages@protonmail.com if you want to ask questions

I believe I am a Stream Enterer as per Shinzen's Language, and no this is not an exaggeration

Sending the best to all on their Transcendental path, still unpacking understanding/trying to attain Samyak Sambuddha
thumbnail
Brett Hendrick, modified 1 Year ago at 10/5/22 12:54 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 10/5/22 12:54 PM

see above
thumbnail
Ni Nurta, modified 1 Year ago at 10/7/22 2:56 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 10/7/22 2:56 PM

So what are your thoughts? My intuition is that this is Jnana 4-5 or something
No thoughts whatsoever. Transcendental emptiness. Absolute void. And underneath void still void... checked just in case. So that's me after reading this topic.

You, hanging in there?
Remember to not actually believe in anything you read on internets or hear from someone who is to gain from you believing them. It is good practice. As is generally not believing in models and doing checks. If you can visualize mind states you read about without attaining them then it is a) superior practice which requires actual insight b) you can see how people who sell it to you are either trying to manipulate you... even if they manipulated themselves or were manipulated by someone else c) you can get all these enlightened states with no effort, read point a. d) won't be stuck in some 'ultimate' state. Of course no one will tell you how to do that and you will have to figure it by yourself, in time. Can do this while you play with kindergarten level dharma so that's good. Just have to keep this in mind there somewhere, there is nothing in what people say.

Otherwise, for what it is worth and what results it will bring have fun with your current practice anything that comes later.
thumbnail
Brett Hendrick, modified 1 Year ago at 10/18/22 2:29 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 10/18/22 2:29 PM

thumbnail
Brett Hendrick, modified 1 Year ago at 10/18/22 2:30 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 10/18/22 2:30 PM

This is my experience of the state; i had help drawing it using OPEN AI

Breadcrumb