Spiritual Experiences and COVID online research survey

thumbnail
Daniel M Ingram, modified 2 Years ago at 12/17/21 4:01 PM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/17/21 4:01 PM

Spiritual Experiences and COVID online research survey

Dear All,

A researcher friend at the Univeristy of Wales Trinity St. David is studying spiritual experiences in those who have fought COVID. Please feel encouraged to participate in this study if you had a spiritual experience related to COVID and want to share that to help science. Here's the blurb she sent me:

Dear all,

In a collaboration between the Religious Experience Research Centre and the Center for Mind and Culture in Boston, Massachusetts in the US, a new research project studies the types of spiritual and religious experience people experienced while fighting COVID-19. If you are interested in it and want to contribute, follow the link to the survey COVID-19 and Spiritual Experiences Survey (surveymonkey.com) https://bit.ly/3jVam43  

Thank you.
Best wishes
Bettina

Yr Athro / Professor Bettina Schmidt, DPhil (habil.), PhD, MA
thumbnail
Jim Smith, modified 2 Years ago at 12/18/21 12:06 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/17/21 10:53 PM

RE: Spiritual Experiences and COVID online research survey

Daniel M. Ingram
Dear All,

A researcher friend at the Univeristy of Wales Trinity St. David is studying spiritual experiences in those who have fought COVID. Please feel encouraged to participate in this study if you had a spiritual experience related to COVID and want to share that to help science. Here's the blurb she sent me:

Dear all,

In a collaboration between the Religious Experience Research Centre and the Center for Mind and Culture in Boston, Massachusetts in the US, a new research project studies the types of spiritual and religious experience people experienced while fighting COVID-19. If you are interested in it and want to contribute, follow the link to the survey COVID-19 and Spiritual Experiences Survey (surveymonkey.com) https://bit.ly/3jVam43  

Thank you.
Best wishes
Bettina

Yr Athro / Professor Bettina Schmidt, DPhil (habil.), PhD, MA

I would like to suggest that before participating people investigate those organizations and researchers and get an understanding of how they will use your personal data. Are they pursuing an ideological agenda that you want to assist with? In particular this type of self-selecting / self-reporting on surveys is extremely easy to manipulate through how the questions are worded (and the people answering the questions will likely never know they are being manipulated - the researchers may not realize it themselves) and it does not provide the same type of hard objective results (which are not as hard and objective as many people think) that controlled randomized double blind studies can.

Many scientists today accept naturalism as an integral part of science and will not recognize the possibility of the supernatural in their scientific results. Even if they personally had religious beliefs they know they would ruin their career if they pulblished anything that questioned naturalism. Why would someone who had a spiritual or religious experience want to participate in that kind of biased research?

Here is something I found on the web site for the Center for Mind and Culture
https://mindandculture.org/media/religion-brain-and-behavior/
The aim of Religion, Brain & Behavior is to provide a vehicle for the advancement of current biological approaches to understanding religion at every level from brain to behavior. RBB unites multiple disciplinary perspectives that share these interests.

It looks to me like they are looking for natural explanations for religious experiences. There are other levels beyond brain and behavior, if they are not interested in those higher levels, then that suggests they have a built in filter that will prevent them from acknowledging certain results. That's actually not science it's ideological naturalism.
George S, modified 2 Years ago at 12/18/21 6:17 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/18/21 6:17 AM

'higher levels' is an interesting word choice
genaro, modified 2 Years ago at 12/18/21 6:33 AM
Created 2 Years ago at 12/18/21 6:33 AM

Jim Smith: So just to understand ... you advocate only taking part in studies that will promote your own agenda? A new take on 'self selection' perhaps? Regardless the data will be available for interpretation by others???  I think it's harmless, big deal they interpret data in terms of thier own biases. Will you be the first one to throw a stone?

yes we need to be skeptical of scientific articles, but they present methods and data so that you can do that.

george ... i'm reminded of a book by rupert sheldrake (yes the new age hippy gentleman of letters) where he referenced 'lower sense perception' for all those spooky insights that can happen, the idea being that since evolving to be Hom Sap, we lost those animal skills. When i read that i just thought 'Bingo!'

Breadcrumb