Songs in my head

Liam Barrett, modified 1 Year ago at 7/11/22 7:18 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 7/11/22 7:18 AM

Songs in my head

Hello. Was hoping somebody help me. I feel like I'm going genuinely insane. Started to get back into meditation. Have done it a few times in past and benefits were life changing but for whatever reason I stopped. 
started doing mark Williams body scan meditation on YouTube and I am now in this certain headspace where I have random songs going through my mind all day and all night. I'm pondering getting myself sectioned and am becoming very depressed. There with such strength and there's nothing I can do to get away from them even at night. First thing in the morning there they are. I'm in utter despair. It's like I've accessed a weird part of the brain that I'm now stuck in. Been like this for a month now. Could really do with some advice. Nothing negative please as I'm feeling down enough as it is. 
shargrol, modified 1 Year ago at 7/11/22 10:01 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 7/11/22 10:01 AM

RE: Songs in my head

There is an old psychology saying "what you resist, persists"... which is just a fancy way of saying that dwelling on a problem doesn't help much and usually just makes it worse.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it is any consolation, at a two week retreat at Insight Meditation Society one of the TEACHER remarked about having a soundtrack going in his head during retreats. He joked, "So what I do is I write the name of the song down on a sheet of paper and at the end of the retreat I make a playlist. That way when people ask me how the retreat went, I can say: well it's hard to describe but here is the soundtrack." emoticon emoticon

Hope this anecdote gives you a laugh. emoticon

The most important thing to learn from this is to be gentle with yourself and not fight how things already are. If song are showing up, welcome the songs and be kind to yourself. It's sort of like the weather... if it rains, it rains, and there isn't much we can do about it if it is already raining. That's the essence of equanimity. It's easy to say, but hard to do. 

One thing that helped me when I would fight with my own mind is to remember the word "Let". Let it be, let come, let it go, let it stay. The training is not to force reality to be some way, but to learn how to work with reality in a good way.

Music comes, that's fine, now what are you going to do? Is what you are doing creating more suffering? Sometimes we create our own suffering and then blame conditions... but the conditions usually aren't causing the problem, it's our own REACTIONS to the conditions that are causing the problem. So once again, learning how to let conditions be what they are is a great skill to develop.

​​​​​​​Best wishes!!
Ben Sulsky, modified 1 Year ago at 7/11/22 11:11 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 7/11/22 11:11 AM

This has happened to me for days or weeks as well.  It can be annoying for sure.  It seems like you have an extreme case and it has become debilitating.  My experience was that it was slightly to moderately annoying and I'd just kinda wait for the state to pass.  Maybe talk to a therapist about this?
genaro, modified 1 Year ago at 7/11/22 11:40 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 7/11/22 11:40 AM

i held back till someone wise weighed in (thanks shargol), you seem  to be living an X-files episode, congratulations!

me, i often have a soundtrack to my life, it's always stuff i've heard before and likely have on vinyl or CD, but if not you can probably find it online. I find often that hearing my internal jukebox pumping a song/tune at me is an invitation to play it on the stereo. LOUD works. Then afterwards it stops troubling me, there may be another one to deal with later, but hey it shifted the situation, no?  Sometimes i play it more than once and get in a groove, but i can do OCD if i feel like it/ if it helps me.  Currently I've just installed a new dishwasher that gives me industrial rythms (huh? speling?) i've heard before.... 

you could also try just playing some other music and experience what happens, get aquainted with your music collection again.
Liam Barrett, modified 1 Year ago at 7/11/22 8:47 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 7/11/22 8:47 PM

Thankyou for the message it had an calming effect. It's not just one song its countless random songs like i havent even heard in a while. Anything really. Do you recommend i carry on with a certain meditation?
thumbnail
Pepe ·, modified 1 Year ago at 7/11/22 9:42 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 7/11/22 9:40 PM

As I'm a amateur musician, melodies pop-up to me anytime, anywhere. Sometimes it can be annoying. What I found really really helpful is to: (1) identify the song that's bothering in your head, (2) sing it right to the very end. My guess is that with this, you give a "closure" and "ending" to a veiled concern/emotion that is encapsulated in the song, either because of its lyrics, the why/when/how/who you connected to the song, etc. This "method" may take time, as many songs maybe pointing out a same concern or different angles of the same concern.

If nothing works, you may try temporary solutions like taking a big inhaling and keep your lungs filled for 20 seconds or so while observing at eyes hight level in a 180º panoramic view. When you exhale, enjoy both the physical sense of release and the silent mind.  If this works, you can develop it further by connecting dots with Shinzen Young's "Gone Noting" material. Here's just a video but there are more, plus his free manual (ULTRA model). 
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 1 Year ago at 7/12/22 6:56 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 7/12/22 6:56 AM

Liam Barrett
Hello. Was hoping somebody help me. I feel like I'm going genuinely insane.

You are not going insane
I am now in this certain headspace where I have random songs going through my mind all day and all night.

This happens
I'm pondering getting myself sectioned and am becoming very depressed. There with such strength and there's nothing I can do to get away from them even at night. First thing in the morning there they are. I'm in utter despair. It's like I've accessed a weird part of the brain that I'm now stuck in. Been like this for a month now. Could really do with some advice. Nothing negative please as I'm feeling down enough as it is. 

Great advice so far. Of the top 10 screwed up things that happen from meditation,Songs are not on the list.
We all have sub-minds. Your musical side of your brain is communicating to you. What does it have to tell you? Have you asked it? perhaps you have always shoved half your brain away and refused to ever let it "talk". Perhaps you should talk to it in pictures,feelings,art,music or whatever expression you feel is interactive. Does it have a message for you? you might investigate it with curiosity instead of fear.
Good Luck,
~D
Liam Barrett, modified 1 Year ago at 7/12/22 7:08 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 7/12/22 7:08 AM

I definitely get the impression that it's opened up a certain part of brain I've been disconnected from for quite a while. If I hear any song for 1 second it just goes on repeat. I really don't think there's something that deep to it. Well most of it at least. I stopped the body scan meditation after a week and have periodically tried doing different things like nothing meditation or concentration meditation but only for a few days then I stop as it doesn't seem to be helping. I'm very erratic at the moment. Do people recommend I do a certain style of meditation mixed in with the noting style meditation for a certain while and see what happens?
Liam Barrett, modified 1 Year ago at 7/12/22 7:26 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 7/12/22 7:26 AM

Thankyou for the advice everyone. Helped remove the panic, well for now at least. 
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 1 Year ago at 7/12/22 7:45 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 7/12/22 7:45 AM

Liam Barrett
I definitely get the impression that it's opened up a certain part of brain I've been disconnected from for quite a while.
Ok, Good.

I really don't think there's something that deep to it. Well most of it at least.

Um, it causes you discomfort but its not "deep". Bullshit.

I stopped the body scan meditation after a week and have periodically tried doing different things like nothing meditation or concentration meditation but only for a few days then I stop as it doesn't seem to be helping. I'm very erratic at the moment. Do people recommend I do a certain style of meditation mixed in with the noting style meditation for a certain while and see what happens?

Why not just embrace your fear and have a nice conversation with yourself?
Oh, that might be uncomfortable. Ignore all advice that might make you uncomfortable and instead be fearful instead.
(wink)
~D
Liam Barrett, modified 1 Year ago at 7/12/22 7:49 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 7/12/22 7:49 AM

It's not possible to have a conversation with myself as the only thing in my head is random songs.
Martin, modified 1 Year ago at 7/12/22 4:57 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 7/12/22 4:57 PM

Physical exercise can help, as can getting out into nature. An escapist movie and an evening with friends could work too. 

I have had some pretty extreme experiences after heavy meditation (for example, seeing and hearing people who aren't there) and I have found that if I back off and do things that are typically healthy, the mind rights itself. There is a sense in which meditation is like poking around in your brain with a screwdriver. It's not surprising if it glitches a bit sometimes and, fortunately, it is usually self-healing. 
Liam Barrett, modified 1 Year ago at 7/12/22 5:00 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 7/12/22 5:00 PM

I appreciate your comment but like I go gym every day and have a physical job. It only makes it worse. They become stronger. I've tried everything. 
Martin, modified 1 Year ago at 7/12/22 5:06 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 7/12/22 5:06 PM

That sounds unpleasant for sure. It won't last forever. I hope it goes quickly. 
Liam Barrett, modified 1 Year ago at 7/12/22 5:06 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 7/12/22 5:06 PM

I hope so too. 
shargrol, modified 1 Year ago at 7/12/22 5:59 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 7/12/22 5:57 PM

You might appreciate this story. 

In those days I was just a very junior monk, and one night Ajahn Chah took us to a village fête. I
think Satimanto Bhikkhu was there at the time. We were all very serious practitioners, and we
didn't want any kind of frivolity or foolishness; and of course going to a village fête was the last
thing we wanted to do, because in these villages they love loudspeakers. So anyway Ajahn Chah
took Satimanto and me to this fête, and we had to sit up all night with the raucous sounds of the
loudspeakers going - and monks giving talks all night long! I kept thinking 'Oh, I want to get back
to my cave - green-skinned monsters and ghosts are much better than this.' I noticed that
Satimanto, who was incredibly serious, was looking really angry and critical and very unhappy,
and we just sat there looking miserable. I thought 'Why does Ajahn Chah bring us to these
things?'

Then I began to see for myself. I remember sitting there thinking 'Here I am getting all upset over
this. Is it that bad? What's really bad is what I'm making out of it, what's really miserable is my
mind. Loudspeakers and noise, and distraction and sleepiness, one can put up with it, but it's that
awful thing in my mind that hates it, resents it and wants to leave - that's the real misery!'
That evening I could see what misery I could create in my mind over things that one can bear. I
remember that as a very clear insight of what I thought was miserable, and what really is
miserable. At first I was blaming the people, the loudspeakers, the disruption, the noise and the
discomfort - I thought that was the problem. Then I realised that it wasn't, it was my mind that was
miserable.

Breadcrumb