RE: Macky's practic log part 2 Macky Ben-Jonah 5/31/23 3:52 PM
RE: Macky's practic log part 2 Macky Ben-Jonah 6/5/23 12:40 PM
RE: Macky's practic log part 2 Jim Jam 6/5/23 8:23 PM
RE: Macky's practic log part 2 Macky Ben-Jonah 7/11/23 4:26 PM
Macky Ben-Jonah, modified 1 Year ago at 11/1/22 7:42 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 11/1/22 7:42 AM

Macky's practic log part 2

Hi,
I have had a practice log here since March 2022. However, I fell out of the habit of meditating and logging my sits. So i have scaled back the time I sit and I am trying to build a habit again.

Old log: Macky's practice log - Discussion - www.dharmaoverground.org

Log for today
Date: Fri 1 Nov 2022
Length of Sit: 20 min sitting down
Cutting Edge Insight Stage of the Session:  I have no idea right now
Meditative Techniques Utilized: Shargol's noting
I started by using an adapted version of the 6 preparation tool in The Mind Illuminated. Basically, I review my motivations and goals. Then i review what might hinder me in achieving my goals. Then I make an intention to be dilligent, and one to give up expectations. Then review all the things I'm greatful for.

After this I started noting sensations. My mind was very distacted when doing the preparations, so I probably spent more time on that then the sit. There was really noting to say about this sit except that I was really distracted in it and didn't really accommplish much.
Goal for Next Session: To sit consistently right now. Also, to have more focus when meditating.
Macky Ben-Jonah, modified 1 Year ago at 11/2/22 7:12 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 11/2/22 7:12 AM

RE: Macky's practic log part 2

Date: Fri 2 Nov 2022
I started by using an adapted version of the 6 preparation tool in The Mind Illuminated. Basically, I review my motivations and goals. Then i review what might hinder me in achieving my goals. Then I make an intention to be dilligent, and one to give up expectations. Then review all the things I'm greatful for.

Because my mind was so distracted when I was noting sensations in yesteday's sit, I switched to noting thoughts first, hoping it would help me be more concentrated as the thoughts are what distracted me. Unfortunately, that did not work, and I kept being distracted. I didn't do anything but thoughts. 

Do you think I will become less distracted as I keep noting over the days?
Goals for next session: To sit the session, and to be more concentrated
Macky Ben-Jonah, modified 1 Year ago at 11/4/22 6:12 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 11/4/22 6:12 AM

Date: Fri 4 Nov 2022
I started by using the 6 preparation tool found in the mind illuminated. This helped focus my mind before I went to noting. Basically, I stared with noting sensations. This sit felt more concentrated than the previous sits. I was able to note sensations, thoughts, urges and emotions. When I started noting emotions, I felt a sense of joy arise.
Goal for Next Session: To sit consistently right now and to keep that concentration
Macky Ben-Jonah, modified 1 Year ago at 11/7/22 9:50 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 11/7/22 9:50 AM

Date: Fri 7 Nov 2022
I started by using the 6 preparation tool found in the mind illuminated. This helped focus my mind before I went to noting. I spent the whole sit noting sensations. There was nothing interesting, but my mind does feel more concentrated than before.
Goal for Next Session: To sit consistently right now and to keep that concentration
Macky Ben-Jonah, modified 1 Year ago at 11/10/22 6:17 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 11/10/22 6:17 AM

Date: Fri 10 Nov 2022
I started by using the 6 preparation tool found in the mind illuminated. This helped focus my mind before I went to noting. Before I started noting, I counted ten deep breaths. This also helped focus my mind. I basically spent the sit noting sensation in different parts of the body. I have had better concentration, but there is nothing that interesting happening in my sits anymore.
Macky Ben-Jonah, modified 1 Year ago at 11/17/22 6:44 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 11/17/22 6:44 AM

Date: Thurs  17 Nov 2022
Length of Sit: 20 min lying down in my bed

One of the things I have noticed in my sits is that most of the distraction comes when I am practicing the gratitude meditations. So, I would list in my mind an event I was greatful for, then my mind would stat throwing details of that even at me, and I would get distracted. To try and combat that, I think I am going to say what I am greatful for out loud.

Nothing interesting happened in the sit. I just noted sensations, and didn't really get to noting the other three categories. I was a little distracted, but I can back to noting.

Macky Ben-Jonah, modified 1 Year ago at 11/18/22 8:15 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 11/18/22 8:15 AM

Date: Fri 18 Nov 2022
Length of Sit: 20 min lying

I feel that this gratitude meditation unlocked some joy inside that seems to keep persisting for the rest of the day. I noted sensations and thoughts. I felt more concentrated than I have been for a while 
Goal for Next Session: To sit consistently right now. Also, to have more focus when meditating.
George S, modified 1 Year ago at 11/18/22 1:34 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 11/18/22 1:34 PM

Nice! Gratitude and joy are good meditation objects emoticon
Macky Ben-Jonah, modified 1 Year ago at 11/23/22 11:25 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 11/23/22 11:25 AM

Thanks. I've been going through a few tough times, and gratitude helps me sometimes 
Macky Ben-Jonah, modified 1 Year ago at 11/25/22 9:19 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 11/25/22 9:19 AM

Sorry for not posting. I have been meditating in the days I haven't posted, but I just haven't posted
Date: Fri 25 Nov 2022
Length of Sit: 20 min lying down

There was nothing much to report today. TBH, I felt that I was distracted, even more than usual. I noted sensations, but I felt that I kept being distacted by thoughts. Anyway, I'll just keep being consistent.
Macky Ben-Jonah, modified 1 Year ago at 11/28/22 6:36 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 11/28/22 6:36 AM

Date: Mon 28 Nov 2022
I started by using the 6 preparation tool found in the mind illuminated. This helped focus my mind before I went to noting. 
I started with noting sensations. There was nothing interesting to report. I was concentrated, but nothing much was really happening. Them I moved to thoughts, which was the same thing. I think I am going to add contemplation of impermanence to my daily life, as I feel that would be helpful rn.
Macky Ben-Jonah, modified 1 Year ago at 12/6/22 6:45 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 12/6/22 6:45 AM

Date: Fri 6 Dec 2022
I started the meditation by reviewing my motivation for sitting. This was to gain the momentum that I had a few months ago and that I've kinda lost now. So my goal for this sit was to basically sit and do the meditation. Nothing much else right now. Then I made a resolution to be diligent for the sit. Then I thought about ten things I was grateful for.

After this I started noting. Basically what i do is note sensations, and then sometimes thoughts if I have time. Nothing interesting happened in this sit.
I have a question for anyone here. From what i've described in this log so far, does anyone have any advice that will help me get the momentum I had a few months ago?

Danny S, modified 1 Year ago at 12/6/22 12:31 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 12/6/22 12:31 PM

In my experience and from what I've read, the best way to gain more momentum is simply more time on the cushion. Yes, it might be overly heroic to do much more than 2 hours/day, but if you are below that, there's probably no downside to increasing time on the cushion (as far as practice is concerned, at least). If you don't have time to practice longer than 20 min, that's fine, use your best judgement, but don't limit yourself to that much time if you can increase it while maintaining healthy boundaries with daily life.

If practice time is held constant, that leaves changes to technique as an option. From my 2 years of practicing and trying different combinations of techniques and practice doses, my feeling is that, the less time you have to practice, the more you will benefit from high-effort, low-complexity techniques. Like, for instance, noting the physical sensations of "rising" and "falling" of the abdomen. The standard time I hear for a meditator to establish some minimal base of attention at the start of a sit is 15 min. Everyone is different, but it is hard for me to imagine how I would make any traction at all trying to do Shargrol's structured multi-part noting with just 20 min, let alone with the structured multi-part TMI exercises thrown in. Remember that Shargrol recommended 1+ hour for his structured noting. I'm not sure it was intended to be effective for sits much shorter than that.

So, if I were you, I would just note the breath at the abdomen for 15 min. Single pointed concentration on those physical sensations, no excuses. Establish that base of attention, then experiment with something else in that last 5 minutes, note thoughts, practice gratitude, go freestyle, or maybe just keep noting the breath another 5 min if that seems most helpful. Of course, I'm not you, so you'll need to use your judgement, but based on your log this past month, I am fairly confident this will help you with your main problem of distractions.
George S, modified 1 Year ago at 12/6/22 12:32 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 12/6/22 12:32 PM

I have a question for anyone here. From what i've described in this log so far, does anyone have any advice that will help me get the momentum I had a few months ago?

Can you describe what it feels like to have less momentum?
Macky Ben-Jonah, modified 1 Year ago at 12/7/22 6:59 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 12/7/22 6:59 AM

Date: Fri 7 Dec 2022
I started the meditation by reviewing my motivation for sitting. This was to gain the momentum that I had a few months ago and that I've kinda lost now. So my goal for this sit was to basically sit and do the meditation. Nothing much else right now. Then I made a resolution to be diligent for the sit. Then I thought about ten things I was grateful for.

Basically, I started to note sensations. Nothing interesting happened in this sit. I did have to watch more for dullness. Basically i drifted off instead of noting

Macky Ben-Jonah, modified 1 Year ago at 12/7/22 7:01 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 12/7/22 7:01 AM

George S:
Can you describe what it feels like to have less momentum?

Basically, first of all in my sits I would feel a deep feeling of happiness wash over me. I also felt more concentrated. I also had this feeling that something beig was about to happen soon.
All this has dissapeared now tbh
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 1 Year ago at 12/7/22 9:05 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 12/7/22 9:05 AM

You realize that's all fabrication, right?
Macky Ben-Jonah, modified 1 Year ago at 12/7/22 10:22 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 12/7/22 10:22 AM

Chris M
You realize that's all fabrication, right?

Ah yeah... My mind playing tricks.

Well then, i suppose my question is this. 
What's a good reliable sign of progress on the meditation path. What's a good sign that you are headed for A+P and stream entry?
George S, modified 1 Year ago at 12/7/22 12:51 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 12/7/22 12:51 PM

A good sign of progress is seeing fabrications as fabrications, so the mind stops falling for its own tricks.
Macky Ben-Jonah, modified 1 Year ago at 12/20/22 7:01 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 12/20/22 7:01 AM

Date: Fri 20 Dec 2022
Meditative Techniques Utilized: Noting the rise and fall of the breath
Basically, I note the sensations of the breath riseing as in and the breath going out as out. Nothing interesting happened in this sit. I felt more of a stronger urge to check the clock than before
Notes: I am focusing more in the consistency of practice right now than the quantity. So I am focusing on being able to do 20 mins every day, before moving it up. Also, every hour I am doing an offcsuhion pracice for five minutes. Right now I am just doing freestyle noting. Should I stay on that, or odes anyone have any advice to an alternate one that might be better?
Macky Ben-Jonah, modified 1 Year ago at 1/17/23 6:05 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 1/17/23 6:05 AM

Date: Tues 17 Jan 2023
Length of Sit: 20 min lying
Meditative Techniques Utilized: Basically I note the sensations associated with the rise of the breath at the chest as rise, and the fall of the breath as fall.
I started by noting the sensations of the breath as rise and fall. Nothing really interesting happened in this sit as usual. I'm finding it easier though to keep sit consistency, even though I've had trouble recording in this log, as nothing intersting is really happening. Rigth now the goal is just to faithfully do the meditation
Goal for Next Session: To sit consistently
Macky Ben-Jonah, modified 1 Year ago at 1/24/23 6:20 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 1/24/23 6:20 AM

Date: Tues 24 Jan 2023
Length of Sit: 20 min lying down
I am just noting the breath at the stomach. Nothing interesting happens right now. Does anyone have any idea if this lack of anything happening signals that im doing something wrong, or if it is just an normal part of meditation?
George S, modified 1 Year ago at 1/24/23 7:00 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 1/24/23 7:00 PM

If nothing seems to be happening then your concentration is probably not strong enough. You may be getting distracted without realizing it. Try counting the breaths 1-10 and restarting every time you notice you are distracted. It can take suprisingly few breaths with strong concentration to start producing effects ...
Macky Ben-Jonah, modified 1 Year ago at 1/25/23 3:02 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 1/25/23 3:02 PM

George S
If nothing seems to be happening then your concentration is probably not strong enough. You may be getting distracted without realizing it. Try counting the breaths 1-10 and restarting every time you notice you are distracted. It can take suprisingly few breaths with strong concentration to start producing effects ...
Thank you. So if I understand correctly, counting the breaths can help improve concentration. How do i know when I'm unintentionally getting distracted?
George S, modified 1 Year ago at 1/25/23 4:53 PM
Created 1 Year ago at 1/25/23 4:53 PM

You know you are distracted when you notice that you are no longer following the sensations of breathing at the abdomen! I assume it's unintentional (although trying to intentionally distract yourself can be revealing ... ok don't focus on the breath, ignore the breath, shit why can't I stop noticing the breath lol) Try to make an estimate of how long you've been distracted. If it's really that bad then set a timer to go off every minute or whatever, to remind you what you are supposed to be doing.
Macky Ben-Jonah, modified 1 Year ago at 2/1/23 6:12 AM
Created 1 Year ago at 2/1/23 6:12 AM

Date: Fri 1 Feb 2023
Meditative Techniques Utilized: Counting each breath till I get to ten or until I lose track
I feel more concentrated, because by adding in the counting I am able to catch where I lose track and come back more quickly. So it feels like it's helping me to be more concentrated
Macky Ben-Jonah, modified 10 Months ago at 5/17/23 9:43 AM
Created 10 Months ago at 5/17/23 9:43 AM

Hi Im back now. I have been meditating in this time, but I just have been a bit busy. Also exams means it's slightly hard to be consistent
Date: Fri 17 May 2023
Length of Sit: 30 min sitting down
Meditative Techniques Utilized: I note the rise and fall of the abdomen. If I get distracted, I note the distraction and go back to noting the breath of the abdomen.
I feel I've solved a couple of my problems I had before. Basically I was lying down to meditate, which I think made me feel drowsy and made me lose concentration without realising it. Also, noting the abdomen really helps to stablise attention and be concentrated.

In this session I noticed some anxiety over my exam results pop up which I though I'd gotten over. basically I just noted it as thoughts and went back to meditiating.
Goals for next session: Basically consistency

Anyone has anything to say to me, I'll appreciate it. But hopefully I'm back to stay
Macky Ben-Jonah, modified 10 Months ago at 5/18/23 4:16 AM
Created 10 Months ago at 5/18/23 4:16 AM

Date: Thurs 18 May 2023
Meditative Techniques Utilized: I note the rise and fall of the abdomen. If I get distracted, I note the distraction and go back to noting the breath of the abdomen.
Again nothing much to report here. Distractions arose, almost exclusively thoughts, and I noted them and went bak to my meditation object of the abdomen. I keep noticing anxiety over my exam result pop up in my sits. Since it only seems to pop up there, maybe I'm suppressing the anxiety? Idk, just a thought. 
Goals for next session: Basically consistency
Macky Ben-Jonah, modified 10 Months ago at 5/31/23 3:52 PM
Created 10 Months ago at 5/31/23 3:52 PM

Date: Wed 31 May 2023
I basically need more consistency. It has been getting better but honsetly I do need to stop missing out sits. When I do sit, it's been pretty good. My main problem now is glancing at my timer, and to combat that. I put watch somewhere out of arms reach. But anyway, nothing interesting partciually happened. I think basically I really need to gain motivation and momentum.
Macky Ben-Jonah, modified 9 Months ago at 6/5/23 12:40 PM
Created 9 Months ago at 6/5/23 12:40 PM

Date: Monday 5 June 2023
Meditative Techniques Utilized: 
Since I haven't posted for a while, I'm just going to outline was been happening for the past few sits, since it's mostly been the same. Mostly, I have been able to note the breath at the abdomen. However, sometimes I feel that the breath "disappears" sometimes, and I struggle to find the sensations again. That causes me to breath harder, which then causes a little discomfort. Also, there's been a lot of minor pains and aches that come when I start meditation nd disappear when I stop. I don't know what's causing this, but honestly I'll just meditate more and see if they disappear.
Also, I think I need to read more meditation testimonials and literature. I think it really helps me gain more motivation and helps me be more consistent.
Goal for Next Session: To sit consistently till I cross A+P

What do you guys think?
Jim Jam, modified 9 Months ago at 6/5/23 8:23 PM
Created 9 Months ago at 6/5/23 8:23 PM

However, sometimes I feel that the breath "disappears" sometimes, and I struggle to find the sensations again. That causes me to breath harder, which then causes a little discomfort. Also, there's been a lot of minor pains and aches that come when I start meditation nd disappear when I stop. 
Gently note the minor aches and pains and return to the rising and falling of the abdomen. Gently note the "dissapearing" breath, if you can, with a basic noting word. Once you're done return to the rising and falling of the abdomen.

Keep being consistent, and keep sitting, and you'll begin to see the results you're looking for. It's worth noting (hah) that oftentimes striving towards specific states and map territory, while encouraging, can be distracting during a sit. This happened to me. Instead of striving for a specific state note what is happening right now. 
Macky Ben-Jonah, modified 8 Months ago at 7/11/23 4:26 PM
Created 8 Months ago at 7/11/23 4:26 PM

Hah I keep forgetting to log here. I will try and remember. I'm still meditating fairly consistently, though. I am just noting the rise and fall of the abdomen. Nothing much happens, although sometimes I do experince a lot of joy after meditation sits. I feel tat I'm nopt seeing kuch progress and there's a lot of thoughts popping up into my head that I'm doing the meditation wrong, although I'm not sure

Breadcrumb