Repeated experience on LSD, A&P?

Kyle Ronnau, modified 11 Months ago at 5/17/23 11:25 PM
Created 11 Months ago at 5/17/23 11:25 PM

Repeated experience on LSD, A&P?

I have taken LSD perhaps 10 times in the past year. At first it was a "take it and enjoy", watch movies, play cards, etc. About 5-6 doses ago I started to consider the impact on mental states and meditation. I started using a patterned wall hanging and a simple fast repetitive song and meditate while staring at the wall hanging. After the first attempt and about an hour in I could tell I made it to a totally different headspace. I felt like I was sitting with myself, like an entity or presence in the room, but it was clearly an extension of self. Then it kind of fizzled out after a few minutes and back into happy party mode. I knew I was on to something. 
increased my drug free sits to like 40-60 minutes a day from previous 10 minutes whenever I feel like it. Mostly metta/TWIM. 
Second LSD sit I got to the same headspace a little quicker and it lasted longer and felt clearer. I was sitting with my own consciousness and could gently ask questions and give back answers. This time it has a very universal feel. Lasted perhaps 10-20 minutes. Definitely onto something, it was repeatable and improving. 
Third trip was even faster to get there, and again clearer. Universal consciousness, clearly connected to all beings, both myself and anyone I focused on, typically my daughter or wife. My questions revolved around dependent origination, and I could see/feel/understand how every thought and action sort of bubbled or vibrated into a million other things and has previously arose from a million other things. I was not clear headed enough to follow thoughts or actions further than a step or two but could still feel them ripple outward. I had a brief thought that this was nibanna but drug induced and transient, and indeed it did not last, perhaps a couple hours total. 
Since then the next few attempts were again stronger, clearer, and lasted longer, now up to 6+ hours of that nibanna-like state. I can move consciousness back and forth from self to others, I have no idea if real or a drug delusion, but I had a dharma talk with the universal consciousness, a lot of me throwing up protests about how existence appears to work fundamentally and instant responses on again dependent origination, the lack of self, karma, and equanimity. I walked through the idea of dukha which culminated in the idea that all beings will perish and experienced the death of my 2 year old daughter when she will be an adult. This was enlightening and felt like the universe pointing out perfectly the Buddha's teachings. Again no idea if this something "real" i.e. if I could focus better would I actually be able to pinpoint when my daughter will die, or if this is just my mind finding a way to conceptualize teachings with a hypothetical, but of course inevitable, example. 

Some things to consider. I always take the same dose of LSD. I always listen to the same song to start and then stop it as soon as I feel myself entering that headspace. I always use the same wall hanging and something about the intricate pattern and staring at it seems to help me separate two sticky layers of my brain, like I am peeling apart the normal everyday part of my brain off of the awakened deeper consciousness. 
I suspect that I can maybe work backwards, like I can work on decreasing the dose of LSD, I can remove the music, I can remove the wall hanging. Maybe I can continue to increase the clarity and duration of this state? 
This state feels really profound, it has a joy, an equanimity, a loss of sense of self, it is a little disorienting (and historically taking this or higher doses of LSD without meditating was never disorienting) and I think it is disorienting because I am kind of fading back and forth from awareness of this body and this time, and from occupying this body to sitting in universal consciousness. 

I know I am using a lot of incorrect terms, but I have been trying to read and learn all the terms as prior to this first event meditation was always just at the level of MBSR or Dan Harris 10% happier sort of stuff, and now it is clear there is much more and I think it maps onto the Theravada maps of Daniel Ingram, I just kind of skipped some important steps. 

Can anyone help me label this clearly, A&P or something else?
Any advice, keep doing it, keep working at making it more clear and longer duration?
Try and work backwards and slowly remove the LSD training wheels? 
I got the message so hang up the phone?
Continue TWIM? Move on to noting? 
​​​​​​​
Kyle Ronnau, modified 11 Months ago at 5/17/23 11:31 PM
Created 11 Months ago at 5/17/23 11:31 PM

RE: Repeated experience on LSD, A&P?

Also the most recent LSD sit took like 2 days afterwards to feel "normal" again, during that two days I could not stay in the here and now and participate meaningfully with my family, my brain was pulled away to lesson intense versions of what I had experienced. I could feel like fine strands and vibrations closing me off from that state with every non-skillful, non-dharmma response by me. Like shutting the doors on enlightenment because I refused or was unable to stay in that state. 
thumbnail
Jim Smith, modified 11 Months ago at 5/18/23 4:51 AM
Created 11 Months ago at 5/18/23 4:49 AM

Are you aware of the long term effects of LSD use?

https://www.newhealthadvisor.org/Long-Term-Effects-of-LSD.html
2. Psychological Effects

Psychologically, long-term effects of LSD may vary depending on how much and how long you have been using the drug. Among these psychological effects are:

Reduced capacity to think rationally
Reduced ability to communicate due to an effect of the drug on the speech center in the brain
Persistent psychosis
Increased risk of mental illness
Emergence of latent mental illness
Anxiety, depression, or panic attacks
Suicidal thoughts and feelings
Persistent psychosis and Hallucinogen Persisting Perception Disorder(HPPD): Other visual disturbances such as seeing halos or trails attached to moving objects; symptoms sometimes mistaken for neurological disorders such as stroke or brain tumor.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LSD/comments/hd9xor/effects_of_heavy_long_term_lsd_use/
LSD is usually considered to be a relatively safe drug. But what about the people who really overdo it. The people who dosed heavily all the time for years.

I’ve been using psychedelics on and off for 11 years. I’ve had periods where I don’t use them at all, but I’ve also had significant periods where I was dropping acid very frequently. Like 2-3 times a week for months and months.

As a result of that, I have pretty bad HPPD. I see acid visuals all the time, geometric colorful patterns on everything, and wild closed eye visuals. Mentally, I constantly feel like I am tripping slightly. Or like a door has been opened in my mind, and won’t ever close again. Often I feel like I am barely tethered to consensual reality. I am also very spaced out, and have serious short term memory problems. It’s an inconvenience as well as a major embarrassment how bad my memory is. It takes a conscious effort to keep myself grounded in reality. I feel like my consciousness has been permanently altered.

I didn’t have any mental illness or even anxiety before using psychedelics.

This situation isn’t all bad. The visuals I have are extremely beautiful. I wish I could take a picture of what I see. I get really vivid CEVs of all sorts of patterns and designs, fractals, and sometimes places. Like, I’ll close my eyes and see the bazaar of a rustic Mexican village at sunset. Sometimes it’s much crazier stuff too, like alien landscapes and other dimensions. Often Rick and Morty looking stuff, lol. I also get what I think qualifies as synesthesia, I see visuals associated with music and other sounds, and with tastes and smells sometimes as well.

Even though it has its benefits, it’s also pretty clear I’ve paid a price for all the LSD I did. I’ve met a couple of other people who have used hallucinogens on the same scale that I did, or more so, and they claimed to have the same sort of problems. Actually, it was pretty obvious to see even without them mentioning it.

So, what are the likely or possible side effects of heavy long term LSD use? I know that studies have not found LSD to be neurotoxic, but clearly tripping 10 times a month for months and months can have a deleterious effect.

I suggest you learn the meditation states called the jhanas. According to Leigh Brasington they are better than acid.
42:50https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCLT64SLYZk

http://www.leighb.com/jhana3.htm
http://www.leighb.com/jhana2a.htm
thumbnail
Robert PASHAYAN, modified 11 Months ago at 5/18/23 6:40 AM
Created 11 Months ago at 5/18/23 6:40 AM

Jim Smith
Are you aware of the long term effects of LSD use?

https://www.newhealthadvisor.org/Long-Term-Effects-of-LSD.html
2. Psychological Effects

Psychologically, long-term effects of LSD may vary depending on how much and how long you have been using the drug. Among these psychological effects are:

Reduced capacity to think rationally
Reduced ability to communicate due to an effect of the drug on the speech center in the brain
Persistent psychosis
Increased risk of mental illness
Emergence of latent mental illness
Anxiety, depression, or panic attacks
Suicidal thoughts and feelings
Persistent psychosis and Hallucinogen Persisting Perception Disorder(HPPD): Other visual disturbances such as seeing halos or trails attached to moving objects; symptoms sometimes mistaken for neurological disorders such as stroke or brain tumor.

Hi Friend, you should educated yourself more before giving others advises about substences, what you shared is a complete nonesens. 
thumbnail
Robert PASHAYAN, modified 11 Months ago at 5/18/23 6:48 AM
Created 11 Months ago at 5/18/23 6:48 AM

Hi Kyle,
It's a pleasure to read another meditator experimenting with psychedelics, I have no experience with LSD but I have many using mushrooms.
Your almost ritualistic use is interesting (same song, same wall hanging ...), I never thought about keeping the entering conditions identical.

I totally understand the impact the psychedelic has on the quality of your samadhi, I called them meditation steroids because the quality and the clarity they bring with them is beyond compare.
And also I feel that I'd not have the attainments I have without their help.

​​​​​​​Cheers
Kyle Ronnau, modified 11 Months ago at 5/18/23 7:36 AM
Created 11 Months ago at 5/18/23 7:36 AM

Jim, 
While I appreciate the reply, most of it is kind of missing the point.
I am truly very aware of the effects. I have an advanced degree in pharmacology and have read far more large and powerful studies on the benefits of this molecule. I only use every 2-6 weeks. It is in FDA breakthrough trials now. Also the exact molecule I am using is not LSD but I felt this was just a distractor to clarify and simply used LSD in this post to keep things simple. All medications have risks and require appropriate use to minimize risks, I feel comfortable with the possible risks. Use started after failed medication and failed psychotherapy for depression. This worked pretty much instantly. 
​​​​​​​Thank you for the suggestion about Leigh, I have his book, but have focused more on MCTB after Leigh's book gave me the impression that his Jhana states are only for advanced meditators that can dedicate significant time every day. I really am consistently busy from 0630 am ish until 0900pm ish daily. So I have started getting up and meditating at 0500, again on my lunch break, and sometimes for a shorter period in the evening, but I cannot add anymore time without sacrificing sleep. 
Kyle Ronnau, modified 11 Months ago at 5/18/23 7:43 AM
Created 11 Months ago at 5/18/23 7:43 AM

Robert
thanks for the reply. I like the term "entering conditions". 
I agree with the meditation steroids term and yep, not sure I would ever have experienced that state without them. But after listening to Daniel Ingram on a podcast specifically about psychedelics, I think what I am experiencing has significant overlap with higher jhanas, or maybe A&P, or maybe nibanna. But I am a passenger in this model and require the medication to carry me there. The brain likes to train though, it is why each trip for me is getting stronger and longer. So now I'm trying to figure out  how to remove the drug training wheels and sort of hand this state over to meditation alone. 
I'm going to dig more into the suggestion by Jim to check out Leigh's jhanas. And unless another poster has more info, I'm going to start reducing the drug dose and see If the state changes in quality. 

​​​​​​​I was also hoping some people would weigh in on where pn the MAP I am; A&P, Jhana state, drug psychosis, etc. 
thumbnail
Robert PASHAYAN, modified 11 Months ago at 5/18/23 9:14 AM
Created 11 Months ago at 5/18/23 9:14 AM

Hi Kyle,
Sure experimentation is the key.
Just to give you another perspective, I'll share my experience too I am not practicing in Therevada style currently but what I did a year ago was not very different.
A year ago I had a breakthrough in meditation, and since I am practicing within Mahamudra and Dzogchen traditions, which are considered non dual direct paths.
Since then my meditation is catching up with the psychedelic amplified concentration, the gap was much much bigger before. But I feel with time my sober samadhi is catching up and is the ground for me with I use the medicine, since then mushrooms became secondary and they are serving only as an amplifier to what is already there.
The non-dual insights without anapprehender and an apprehended gain much more clarity and there is no lingering doubts, and I can sustain that state while moving or dancing, which are not at all easy without the medicine.
My personal idea about this is, as the psychedelics amplifies neuroplasticity, so using them not only pushes your limits but creates new synapses, so when sober these achievments stay and have the blueprint layed down to actualize them.
Of course at one point you'll not need the medicine to amplify anything because there would be no need for that, and I'm talking about complete final Bodhi.
Cheers 
Kyle Ronnau, modified 11 Months ago at 5/18/23 6:00 PM
Created 11 Months ago at 5/18/23 6:00 PM

Funny you mention the Neuroplasticity. I chose the LSD like molecule based on studies of neurogenesis, dendritogenesis, and neurogenesis. I also suppose that it creates that space during and post dosing, so afterwards I am trying to, within confines of my busy life, live a pro-dharma life; more meditation, no intoxicants, speak kindly, exercise, hydrate, eat healthy etc. Sort of gently forcing myself to do the things I think I should be doing with the hope that I am much more impressionable during that post phase. I also noticed this last time that there is like a two day come down that I now need to provide a reintegration time for, which is something I have heard is needed for intensive meditation retreats. 
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 11 Months ago at 5/19/23 1:56 AM
Created 11 Months ago at 5/19/23 1:56 AM

Most likely a&p. Possible sub states mixed in. I would finish reading MCTB , at the very least, read what happens after a&p in the Progress of Insight. Read about jhanas in MCTB too as long as you are there.
You're not in nibbana at defined in MCTB.
Try cutting back on dosing amount and increasing sit time. Mastery takes work and shortcuts can be long cuts....acid heads are rarely awakened much but they sure do talk about their trips as though they got something. Shug, who knows.
Good luck,
​​​​​​​~D
Kyle Ronnau, modified 11 Months ago at 5/19/23 2:06 AM
Created 11 Months ago at 5/19/23 2:06 AM

Awesome thank you for the reply. 
I am agreeing after a lot more reading of MCTB and Daniel's website today, most likely A&P, as he pretty much says anything profound, energetic, weird and wild is likely A&P.
The unusual variable is that it is reproducible and consistent, which to be fair MCTB doesn't say A&P is a one time thing, but also doesn't mention a repetitive nature either. 
I will definitely read on the jhanas more in MCTB and the other reading you mentioned. 

​​​​​​​Planning to sit more, have been sitting more, an hour today felt effortless. Planning to reduce the dose by 20% and see the impact. Also by necessity I will have a longer duration between doses due to needing more time for post-dose integration. My response to this adjustment should help me figure out how to best continue to work backwards towards non-use and replace with meditation.
thumbnail
Robert PASHAYAN, modified 11 Months ago at 5/19/23 11:29 AM
Created 11 Months ago at 5/19/23 11:29 AM

Hi Kyle,
I think more and more people are opening up to all these wonderful qualities the psychedelics offer.
I had the same changes caused by them, I literally don't like alcohol now, I naturally cut off transformed food, I tend to enjoy small things more.
I think meditation + psechedelics correctly used are a powerful combo.
And I agree any deep experience needs days to digest it and integrate it to your daily life, I usually recal the experience the days following it and meditate upon it.
​​​​​​​Cheers