Being present in the physical world vs blocking it out for education?

thumbnail
Tony Norris, modified 10 Months ago at 6/25/23 6:04 AM
Created 10 Months ago at 6/25/23 6:04 AM

Being present in the physical world vs blocking it out for education?

My world right now is pretty boring & intrusive.  Got an irritable baby momma with 1 year old toddling around, constantly on the brink of disaster & 4 year old (not mine) constantly requiring attention which I don't usually want to give.

Mostly of the day I'm strongly tempted to abandon them like Siddhartha to figure out the world & my mind (I'm not going to but that's the temptation, also I don't trust the kids to turn out well without me whereas Sid had a lot of help in the household from what I've heard).

I won't totally blame the external.  Left to my own devices I hook into addictive things like the Internet & let time & my mind take me on a ride.  It's not like the moment I get time I rush onto the meditation cushion (altho I've been trying to do that over the last couple of days)

Did most of you farther along the path block out the annoying hooks of duty to self-seclude or did you follow the path in spite of (or maybe even supported by) all the chaos that is other people pulling on your coattails?
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 10 Months ago at 6/25/23 7:53 AM
Created 10 Months ago at 6/25/23 7:53 AM

RE: Being present in the physical world vs blocking it out for education?

The chaos of job and family life were a huge benefit for my practice. It's challenging, yes, but those challenges are why you're practicing. Get up early and stay up a few minutes late to find alone time to meditate and use the rest of your life to wake up to what it truly is. And... someday, you will wish the chaos of these little children to come back. You'll actually miss it. Don't sleep through it!
Eric Abrahamsen, modified 10 Months ago at 6/25/23 7:00 PM
Created 10 Months ago at 6/25/23 6:59 PM

I have a four-year-old daughter, and I absolutely feel that she is the most challenging part of my practice. Not because she occupies so much time – though she definitely does – but because she requires so much engagement. In particular, she wants to play make-believe pretty much every moment she's awake.

There's something about make-believe that seems especially anti-practice. Here I am trying to spend my time not making myself more of a person than I am, and now not only do I have to be a person, I have to pretend to be a person other than the one I've been pretending to be all these years. It can be horrible.

So I use this as indicator of how my mindfulness is "doing". When it's "doing poorly", I feel absolutely desperate to get out of the make-believe games. And back to my own games, of course, which as you note is usually staring at my cell phone. Staring at my cell phone is primarily a way of shutting off awareness altogether, of course, and what I'm actually unhappy about is the fact that I'm being forced, by my daughter, to be aware of the current moment, when (for whatever reason) I don't want to.

If mindfulness is going well, I can remember that what is important is presence itself, mindfulness itself, and the question of mindfulness of what, exactly, is almost beside the point. If you were meditating instead of dealing with your family, you would be spending your time trying to be mindful of the present moment. So how is that any different from being mindful of the present moment while you're with them?

Switching from one mindset to the other can be difficult, usually because there is resentment in me when I'm experiencing the first mindset, and switching to the second mindset requires letting go of that resentment, and it is important to me to hold on to the resentment. If I can swallow that, then the trick is to tune in more fully to the sensations of the moment, so that my mind is filled with moment-by-moment sensory data, and there isn't room to think about how unbelievably tedious it is to play Mermaid Dada ONE MORE TIME.

If I can stay in that place for a little while, then the desperate need to turn away quiets down, and I'm able to surf along on the flow of events. Not that I ever quite love it, but it becomes possible to remember that I'm enjoying being with my daughter.

Hope something in there is helpful...

[Edit: I realize I've just restated what Chris said, but using lots more words.]
thumbnail
Tony Norris, modified 10 Months ago at 6/26/23 3:03 AM
Created 10 Months ago at 6/26/23 3:03 AM

Thanks guys, Eric, I feel you on the challenges of repitition & pretend play.  I had a 14yo (previous relationship) and she was all-day every-day with wanting to pretend play from around age two.  The 4yo is less pretend play and more tell you every little thing, every bug, every blade of grass, look @ airplane & much more trolly & defiant & the baby of course, is a baby.

But yeah Chris, life is funny, you feel stuck & trapped & going crazy in a situation & then it's past & then you kinda miss it.

Breadcrumb