Sarcasm vs humor as teacher

Robert Lydon, modified 10 Months ago at 7/2/23 11:52 AM
Created 10 Months ago at 7/2/23 11:52 AM

Sarcasm vs humor as teacher

Curious what your opinion is on sarcasm from a "teacher"? There seems to be different kinds. Ones that you join in with as a student, more like humor, and ones that are negative (even patrionizing) and teacher serving. Thoughts?

I like humor/sarcasm that is joining and thought provoking, less disenfranchising of connection, curiousity and exploration. Maybe you can better define what I am trying to say.
‎ ‎Nihila, modified 10 Months ago at 7/2/23 1:47 PM
Created 10 Months ago at 7/2/23 12:13 PM

RE: Sarcasm vs humor as teacher

Do you have any examples of negative/patronizing teachers? Don't think I've ever come across any in the non dual space.
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 10 Months ago at 7/2/23 12:55 PM
Created 10 Months ago at 7/2/23 12:55 PM

Robert Lydon
Hi Robert
Curious what your opinion is on sarcasm from a "teacher"?
That's icky, I don't like teachers so much, they always try to teach you their limited view.
There seems to be different kinds. Ones that you join in with as a student, more like humor,
I like humor! It's funny, unless I'm the butt of the joke.
and ones that are negative (even patrionizing) and teacher serving.
I totally agree, anything negative and teachers serving patronizations...that could be negative and less positive.
Thoughts?
Yep, unfortunately I still think thoughts.

I like humor/sarcasm that is joining and thought provoking, less disenfranchising of connection, curiousity and exploration.
Provoking thoughts can be disjoining of franchising and disconnect curiously exploring vague stuff....I positively agree
Maybe you can better define what I am trying to say.
I think you defined your trying sayings well, I like it when everyone is positive to me all the time and don't like it when people are negative towards me.
I think everyone can agree with that. I do hope the world gets better at this and gives me nothing to worry about but positive strokes so my ego will never get bruised.
(I'm obviously trying to be funny here, I hope I succeeded and didn't fall into the sarchasm :o)
Good Luck,
~D
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 10 Months ago at 7/2/23 1:00 PM
Created 10 Months ago at 7/2/23 1:00 PM

Nihila .
Don't think I've ever come across any in the non dualist space.

Non-Duel? I challenge you to a non-duel, pick your non weapon and lets get busy achieving nothing! First one to the void avoids voiding oneself, unless that's the oppo-sit.
;o)
‎ ‎Nihila, modified 10 Months ago at 7/2/23 2:03 PM
Created 10 Months ago at 7/2/23 2:03 PM

Hah, challenge accepted.
thumbnail
Dream Walker, modified 10 Months ago at 7/2/23 2:04 PM
Created 10 Months ago at 7/2/23 2:04 PM

Nihila .
Hah, challenge accepted.
You win! There was nothing to it!
‎ ‎Nihila, modified 10 Months ago at 7/2/23 2:08 PM
Created 10 Months ago at 7/2/23 2:08 PM

Oh my! What did I win? Nothing? Ahahahaha
shargrol, modified 9 Months ago at 7/2/23 4:40 PM
Created 9 Months ago at 7/2/23 4:40 PM

Robert Lydon, modified 9 Months ago at 7/4/23 4:48 PM
Created 9 Months ago at 7/4/23 4:48 PM

Thread speaks for itself. No bruising on my end. Wish there was a way to show how many accounts one has. I am guessing two.
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 9 Months ago at 7/5/23 7:27 AM
Created 9 Months ago at 7/5/23 7:27 AM

Not sure which accounts you think are the same person here? If you refer to the people posting in this thread, I can assure you they are not. 
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 9 Months ago at 7/5/23 7:46 AM
Created 9 Months ago at 7/5/23 7:44 AM

Just a reminder to any participants finding themselves on "a mission" because someone is wrong in the internet: internet forums have this amazing function operable by grown-up people. It's called scrolling. 

Linda Ö
DhO moderator (going with the theme of the thread)
thumbnail
Linda ”Polly Ester” Ö, modified 9 Months ago at 7/5/23 9:57 AM
Created 9 Months ago at 7/5/23 9:57 AM

On topic: Personally I would not choose a teacher who uses sarchasm as a tool in our interactions or who takes it upon themselves to decide when I need to be poked without me explicitly having entrusted them to do so. That's not what I need, and it would just make me annoyed and cause unnecessary resistance. It might be helpful for some people (?), but I think there are better ways to communicate and teach. 

That said, I also appreciate straightforwardness. Some people find Daniel's book and videos partly sarchastic, but I find them very refreshing. I have received teachings from Lama Lena who can also be very straightforward and who has a humor that could perhaps be described as blunt, and I have appreciated her teachings (and her humor!) greatly. 
Robert Lydon, modified 9 Months ago at 7/8/23 1:20 AM
Created 9 Months ago at 7/8/23 1:20 AM

Agreed about the scrolling abilities. It is like a super power. Especially if you can do it with equanimity.

Breadcrumb