Guru Viking interview with David Johnson

Conal, modified 8 Months ago at 8/6/23 4:42 AM
Created 8 Months ago at 8/6/23 4:42 AM

Guru Viking interview with David Johnson

https://www.guruviking.com/podcast/ep212-path-to-nibbna-david-johnson

David was Bhante Vimilaransi's assistant and has also written a very good book about Tranquil Wisdom Insight Meditation (TWIM). In the interview he talks about Bhante's life and death and about his own experiences with Mahasi noting and TWIM. He also explains the differences between these two practices and has some interesting stories about well-known vipassana teachers such as Dipa Ma.
Maha divlock, modified 8 Months ago at 8/7/23 8:58 AM
Created 8 Months ago at 8/7/23 8:58 AM

RE: Guru Viking interview with David Johnson

I had a quick listen, and I love the way this guy nonchalantly discounted the whole vipassana/vsm lineage, especially mahasi technique.

long story short, he claims that mahasi practise culminates in 8th jhana, which everyone confuse with cessation/path/fruition/nibbana, and that only twim practitioners get it right.
in a nutshell, only the late Bhante V, this guy, and a handful of twim practitioners are interpreting the suttas correctly and practicing/attaining the real thing and are, of course, deeply enlightened.

everyone else are just imagining things,
confusing concentrated states with nibbana, are not even stream winners, and are chasing their tails in general.

he also criticised dipa ma as overclaiming her attainments, and not really being quite highly attained(at least not as much as he and his buddies).

all in all, one of the more peculiar and interesting spiritual egos on the marketplace, definitely worth a listen!
thumbnail
Chris M, modified 8 Months ago at 8/7/23 10:51 AM
Created 8 Months ago at 8/7/23 10:51 AM

The "my dharma is better than your dharma" way strikes again.
thumbnail
JohnM, modified 8 Months ago at 8/8/23 8:00 AM
Created 8 Months ago at 8/8/23 8:00 AM

I'm constantly reminded of the Rodney King plea:

Can we all get along?

I'm amazed at how little awareness there is of the example spiritual leaders set by their attitudes. It's like wearing a t-shirt with that old adage: My mind is made up. Don't confuse me with facts.

Sad.

Breadcrumb