Help explain a Nobel laureate's experience with Siddhis

A T, modified 6 Months ago at 10/1/23 11:58 AM
Created 6 Months ago at 10/1/23 11:58 AM

Help explain a Nobel laureate's experience with Siddhis

I was reading Dancing Naked in the Mind Field, which is the autobiography of Nobel laureate Kary Mullis. For those unfamiliar, Mullis was one of those rare figures: a first-rate scientist (won a Nobel prize for inventing PCR), who was also extremely interested in and open to esoteric ideas. 

In the book, Mullis describes a curious encounter he had with a woman (passage reproduced below, with the parts of interest in bold). 

I had been hanging out at the Buttercup Bakery—not a likely place for me to come across a quickie romance because Cynthia and I used to work there together. But for some reason I was drawn to it. I was sitting at a table with two friends when Katherine O’Keefe came through the door. She walked directly to my table. I didn’t know her, but our eyes connected, and within five minutes we were walking out the door.

She followed me home. We talked briefly about nothing much in the kitchen and then made love before I knew anything more than her name.

She looked deep into my eyes and did something to me with her mind that was ecstatic. It seemed to me as if a little tentacle had reached into my mid-brain and tickled my hypothalamus.

I asked her what the hell she had done to me. She replied, “You’ve been playing with your mind, but you don’t know anything yet. No one has ever properly taught you.” 
I was excited. “Will you show me how to do that? What you did?”
“You already know. You just need to practice.”
Mullis doesn't go into any further details on this, whether she taught him or not, etc. But to me this seems like a magickal/high-concentration/shaktipat/jhanic act, doesn't it? 

So I have two questions: 
  1. What is the the "thing" that the woman did to Kary Mullis? 
  2. Is this ability innate, or can it be trained? If it can be trained: how? 
Derek2, modified 6 Months ago at 10/4/23 1:02 PM
Created 6 Months ago at 10/4/23 1:02 PM

RE: Help explain a Nobel laureate's experience with Siddhis

The old names for these phenomena were mesmerism or animal magnetism. There was some Western interest in them until they were dismissed as unscientific. They were then sanitized and repackaged as "hypnotism." You can still find old books giving the basics, e.g. James Coates, How to Mesmerise (London: W. Foulsham, c. 1890). The only person I know of still teaching old-fashioned mesmerism is Marco Paret. He has a YouTube channel that's basically teasers and advertising for his courses. He would agree with your quote that the main thing is not technique but practice.
A T, modified 6 Months ago at 10/4/23 2:03 PM
Created 6 Months ago at 10/4/23 2:03 PM

RE: Help explain a Nobel laureate's experience with Siddhis

Thank you so much for the resources Derek2. I will check them out.&nbsp;<br /><br />I'm so grateful for and amazed by the DhO community. Never a day where you don't learn something new.&nbsp;<br /><br />​​​​​​​Thanks!

Breadcrumb