My current understanding

Abdou Abed, modified 14 Years ago at 11/25/09 3:45 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 11/25/09 3:45 AM

My current understanding

The path can be described as:
1. before engaging in practice: we see only the "known";
2. as practice develops: we start seeing the "knower" and the "known";
3. After realization: the "knower" and the "known" merge and there remains only “Knowing”.

This realization is very subtle in the beginning then it needs to be stabilized. There is no limit to this process of stabilization.
Does this make sense?

In case the above is correct, what kind of practice helps most to go from one stage to the other? Probably sticking with one practice will move you all the way, but isn’t it more efficient to adapt the practice to each level?

Peace (Salam)
Abdou
Chuck Kasmire, modified 14 Years ago at 11/29/09 10:55 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 11/29/09 10:55 PM

RE: My current understanding

Hi Abdou,
Do you currently have a practice? If so, how is that going? I wouldn't worry about what to do in the future - your understanding will change and your practice will change accordingly. It will kind of take care of itself.

-Chuck
Abdou Abed, modified 14 Years ago at 11/30/09 5:27 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 11/30/09 5:27 AM

Hi Chuck ,

Thanks for your help.

To reply to your questions:
I have been practicing some sort of meditation for the past 12-15 years. I have been involved in some sort of "query" for years before that. I have experienced very strong episodes of fear of death some 10 years ago with very strong discharges of electric current down my spinal chord.

However my practice have been quite erratic due to various life circumstances. I have discovered MCTB a few months ago and consider this event as a new beginning.

I am not quite confident in how its going in terms of where to place myself on the maps. The only "stage(s)" that is quite obvious to me is the "dark night". I find myself in that place at least two or three times a day with a lingering background the rest of the time. I try to avoid much leakage of that into my day-to-day living but it surely sort of color everything.

At the time being my practice is quite informal, I don't do much sitting, but I am sort of doing "choiceless awareness" most of the time. I wanted to switch to a more structured Vipassana practice but the external conditions (and the internal conditions) are not quite ideal for this at the moment.

a few weeks ago, I had a striking shift in perception where it became clear to me that "all there is" is sensations. When I look I "see" sensations (color, form, ...), when I listen I "hear" sensations, ... Apart from this, the rest of my experience remained exactly the same.

When I ask myself "who is aware?" or "who knows this?" It is as if the stream of awareness splits itself into 2: 1 process becomes the "known" and another process becomes "the knower". That is why I posted.

much appreciative for the support.
Salam (PEACE)
Abdou
Chuck Kasmire, modified 14 Years ago at 12/1/09 9:38 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 12/1/09 9:38 AM

Hi Abdou,

Thanks. Yes, you pretty much have it in my opinion. Here is a very good presentation of this by Osho that may help. In terms of awakening in Buddhism, the witness that Osho speaks of is your #2 and is how we relate to our experience through 4th path. From your description: “I had a striking shift in perception where it became clear to me that "all there is" is sensations” - sounds like this is what you are becoming aware of. If you include an attentive curiosity in this process – to investigate or penetrate your on-going experience - then you are practising vipassana. There are many techniques available to help you and this is a good place to get specifics, tips, etc. should you decide on a specific practice (Noting, etc).

Does that make sense?
Abdou Abed, modified 14 Years ago at 12/2/09 4:22 AM
Created 14 Years ago at 12/2/09 4:22 AM

Chuck Kasmire:
Hi Abdou,

There are many techniques available to help you and this is a good place to get specifics, tips, etc. should you decide on a specific practice (Noting, etc).

Does that make sense?

Hi Chuck,

Thanks, this does make sense indeed. I've read some of Osho's writings a few years ago but was discouraged by the nature of the personality. I can see now that his understanding has nothing to do with his personality.

As I said, my current practice is mostly "choiceless awareness" during daily life. Do you highly recommend switching to a more structured practice? Or does it make sense to continue with this "choiceless awareness" and let things unfold on their own?

Salam (Peace)
Abdou
Chuck Kasmire, modified 14 Years ago at 12/3/09 7:30 PM
Created 14 Years ago at 12/3/09 7:30 PM

Hi Abdou,

Can't recommend any particular practice for you - really depends on your circumstances and nature. Here are some general thoughts though: Regardless of what practice you are using – it requires good concentration. Meditation is a skill and trying to figure it out on your own can lead you astray for a lifetime. So you need to get off to a good start. Having a teacher to work with, doing retreats – those can help you develop that skill. Without good concentration, any practice gets lost in content.

Consider that conditions will never be ideal. Finding short periods of time through out the day is usually possible. I imagine others here can come up with all kinds of suggestions that could help you.

-Chuck

Breadcrumb