Adyashanti Retires from teaching

shargrol, modified 5 Months ago at 11/18/23 6:55 AM
Created 5 Months ago at 11/18/23 6:55 AM

Adyashanti Retires from teaching

Kinda interesting, including how he's had chronic pain and PTSD challenges:

​​​​​​​Retirement Announcement (constantcontact.com)
thumbnail
Bahiya Baby, modified 5 Months ago at 11/18/23 7:55 AM
Created 5 Months ago at 11/18/23 7:55 AM

RE: Adyashanti Retires from teaching

I was never too familiar with Adyashanti, though people speak highly. I had heard rumors about these issues. I know of another big name that's in permanent retreat for chronic back pain reasons. 

Tough dose. 

Too much sitting .... ???
Martin, modified 5 Months ago at 11/18/23 10:24 AM
Created 5 Months ago at 11/18/23 10:24 AM

Another person with an unreliable body. Here's wishing him a happy retirement. 
thumbnail
Sha-Man! Geoffrey, modified 5 Months ago at 11/18/23 12:25 PM
Created 5 Months ago at 11/18/23 12:25 PM

Yeah you can definitely push "sitting through pain" up to an unskillful level. But I wish him all the best, and I hope him, his sangha, and everyone who come into contact with his teachings practice well and gain the fruits of the practice.
Platu •, modified 5 Months ago at 11/19/23 8:47 AM
Created 5 Months ago at 11/19/23 8:47 AM

Kinda interesting, including how he's had chronic pain and PTSD challenges:
This is exactly what Scott Kiloby talks about, he touched on the matter with Adyashanti too.

Scott himself was a non-dual teacher for 10 years, pointing mostly to presence. Over the years, chronic nerve pain in his spine got to 10/10 intensity, had been rushed to hospital in wheelchair, developed cancer, and one more disease that I can't remember. He had to step down from teaching too. 

So he found out the hard way that the cause of these diseases and more - was repressed anger. The burried anger in the body. 

The programming of repression doesn't arise in awareness in just resting with what is. The primary emotion (sadness, hurt, anger, etc.) is believed to be not safe to feel or express due to conditioning in childhood. I had an abusive father with whom expressing anger meant more beating and verbal abuse, so unconsciously I had to repress it to stay safe and get his love.

I too developed chronic pain along with many more strategies and identities to avoid it. Vipassana or natural meditation never revealed the programming, even light questioning as 'What does this pain mean about me?, What does it have to say', etc., didn't reveal that I AM FUCKING ANGRY!!

'Who am I or what is this?' also bypassed this stuck energy. 

Even after allowing the possibility that I might have repressed anger too and using sharp tools to prompt it, it took me a good while to even start feeling it. 

All it brought up at the beginning was painful energy, shutdowns, and many more NO's in different forms that didn't feel like anger, but overtime the connection with it got more clear. Anger is behind it, driving it. 

The chronic contraction responds to anger inquiries by intensifying it. I can feel anger now, but with it comes big and intense painful energy. It stirs loads of that energy up, not like anything else. I'm not too skilled to transmute it there and then, but resting as awareness does the job of regulating and settling it.

The chronic contraction is still here and not much better. It gets better when the stirred energy settles, though I cannot be blind to the triggers that relates to anger and is still active. Body still keeps the charge. So I can't talk about the full picture, but in context of Scott, all the diseases went away and the deeper embodiment of awareness made life better than ever.
thumbnail
Bahiya Baby, modified 5 Months ago at 11/19/23 10:59 AM
Created 5 Months ago at 11/19/23 10:59 AM

Interesting take. 

I really don't know anything about Adyashanti, but I have always lumped him into the "too serene for me" bundle of teachers. 

Something about that 110% serenity, bug-eyed super-smile aesthetic always caused my red flags to raise. But I say that as someone who always lumped him into a particular group of teachers, some of whom I know more about and would have more experience with than him. 

I mentioned another teacher with chronic pain issues. I can certainly see things they've said, ways they've talked about life and meditation, that nowadays communicate to me certain qualities of attachment or identification, that I was not really prepared to see when I first encountered them.

Did that cause their chronic pain? I don't know. Disease does just happen. Suffering exists. 

I really do suspect a lot of us westerners aren't posturally prepared for sitting traditionally (even when we appear to have good posture -biomechanics, it's a whole thing-). 
thumbnail
Papa Che Dusko, modified 5 Months ago at 11/21/23 3:39 AM
Created 5 Months ago at 11/21/23 3:39 AM

I only know one thing about him and that is him saying "we do all these practices to exhaust the seeker". Those words of his stuck with me to this day. 

May the dude enjoy his retirement.

Breadcrumb