Meditation Teachers or Groups in Chester, UK

Si Puckey, modified 2 Months ago at 2/1/24 3:21 PM
Created 2 Months ago at 2/1/24 3:12 PM

Meditation Teachers or Groups in Chester, UK

Hi, I'm trying to find a group or a teacher, in or near Chester (UK).

I have tried some meditation classes locally like (http://meditationincheshire.org/evening-classes/upton-chester/) and found them interesting but very light on meditation technique and actual practice / participation. In all honesty I feel like i get much more out of books/podcasts for ideas and instructions and also trying to sit and concentrate on the breath (and sometimes a mantra) for 30 mins or more a few times a week.

My other issue is I am fairly new to meditation practice and I'm not sure which approach to meditation I am best suited to. At the moment I am finding the number of possible approaches and disciplines a bit overwhelming, while simultaneously the lack of obvious groups or teachers in my area quiet frustrating. With this in mind I would be willing to trial any technique (!) if I could learn it face-to-face, locally.

For example I tried what I understood to be the notation technique but found it more distracting than helpful, which makes me think I am not performing it correctly and could benefit from guidance. As I also have been medically advised to try yoga postures or pilates for physical re-hab purposes, I have been trying to find a teacher in all eight limbs of yoga (rather than just the a teacher in the industry around postures and exercise) but no luck yet.

Due to what seems to be the dearth of groups and teachers in the area I have also been thinking about retreats. Any recommendations regarding short, beginner level retreats near Chester is gratefully received but I will also ask about this more succinctly in another thread.

Many thanks for taking the time to consider my questions

Breadcrumb