Opinion or background on a couple of local schools

Si Puckey, modified 1 Month ago at 3/1/24 4:30 PM
Created 1 Month ago at 3/1/24 4:30 PM

Opinion or background on a couple of local schools

Does anyone have any views on a couple of schools of Buddhism that run meditation groups near to where I live (Chester, UK)

Kadampa
I have attended this session a couple of time and found the monk taking the session to have some interesting insights on morality (yet a bit awkward when straying into political naivety) but the meditation aspect to be very slight. My aim is to find out if it is worth bothering to ask them if they run some more serious meditation classes and if it would be worth travelling a fair distance to where their school is based. My gut says no but think worth asking for some broader opinions

Triratna
At the same community centre on a different night there is a group that after a bit of digging appears to be from the Triratna school. A bit of research on this school suggests a fair amount of sexual scandal so not getting great vibes here either! Any views welcome!

Thanks for considering the above!
thumbnail
David Matte, modified 1 Month ago at 3/3/24 7:55 AM
Created 1 Month ago at 3/3/24 7:55 AM

RE: Opinion or background on a couple of local schools

I've heard the Kadampa school is also not without controversy.  I think it emerged from a dispute over a particular diety in the Tibetan Gelug school. 

But I think it's useful to consider, what are you looking to get out of participating at these groups? Like always, you can take what benefits you, and just discard what doesn't. ​​​​Always keep your wits about you. Be wary of teachings such as "This is the only true way..., other ways are misleading, etc."

Breadcrumb